The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

When my Italian Greyhound dislocated his hip, we went with the sling. Then a pin. Then the vet FINALLY did the FHO. Had I known about the options and success rates etc., I'd have done the FHO immediately. My poor dude spent way more time than necessary in pain and trying to be fixed. Do not worry - the FHO is really the best thing you can do for her at this point.

I will also strongly second the rehab suggestion. It really worked wonders for Woody, who runs and plays like normal again. He does prefer to "canter" three-legged now, but walk trot and run are all on all fours.

Here he is day 1 after dislocation

Day 2 (pin this time)

Day 13-ish (after FHO surgery)

Barely visible scar a year later - no, he's not spoiled at all...

And proof that he has no ill-effects from it (though I think my corgi liked it better when he couldn't run! Yes, they are just playing)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Thank you *SO* much Kinsella. I'm really scared for my poor girl. She's not a stoic type, and such a cuddlebug/marshmallow dog...
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Continued jingles from Mille and Gumby and their mom - hope all goes well!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    When my Italian Greyhound dislocated his hip, we went with the sling. Then a pin. Then the vet FINALLY did the FHO. Had I known about the options and success rates etc., I'd have done the FHO immediately. My poor dude spent way more time than necessary in pain and trying to be fixed. Do not worry - the FHO is really the best thing you can do for her at this point.

I will also strongly second the rehab suggestion. It really worked wonders for Woody, who runs and plays like normal again. He does prefer to "canter" three-legged now, but walk trot and run are all on all fours.

Here he is day 1 after dislocation

Day 2 (pin this time)

Day 13-ish (after FHO surgery)

Barely visible scar a year later - no, he's not spoiled at all...

And proof that he has no ill-effects from it (though I think my corgi liked it better when he couldn't run! Yes, they are just playing)
    OH that last photo!!!!! Perfect!

Hey Kinsella, how intense was the post-op care? I work swing shift 3:30-11:30 and I'm just worried about her while I"m at work. At least I'll be home the first two days (which will be days 3 and 4 post surgery), but after that...

Lots of Jingles for Whiskey from the Corgi Crew here in CT!!!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Sending more jingles and prayers for Whiskey.

She'll do fine and I know you'll be so relieved once the surgery is over.

I'm so lucky. One of my friends is a tech there, and she sent me a picture of Whiskey this afternoon and updates every few hours. Granted the updates are along the lines of: "Whiskey has had her pain meds, is comfortable and would like dinner/ Whiskey is still comfortable, has had her dinner and would like more dinner... etc..."

Thanks for all of the good wishes/jingles. They mean a lot to me. :-)

Post-op is ok. Just a matter of keeping her quiet and making sure she doesn't bother the surgery site. Woody started rehab the day after the stitches came out, so it isn't like a super long lay-up. And she'll feel so much better not being in pain, you'll be so relieved! I don't know of she'll have any potty issues, but maybe keep some weewee pads down wherever shes confined once you are back at work just in case. And ask about drug side effects when you pick her up - something woody was on was a dieuretic, so he drank a lot and had to potty a lot.

Glad she's safely out of surgery! Keep us posted on how she's doing, and give her a carrot (or her favorite low fat treat) from me. (When you get her home of course!)

Ralando II

How's Whiskey doing?

Ralando II

She had the surgery yesterday morning. The tech who called directly post surgery said that she was doing great, but the overnight vet called and said they'd had to switch her to a constant drip of pain meds to try and get her comfortable. She's not interested in food yet, but she has gotten up a few times.

I'm going to go in and see her today around 10, and if everything goes well she'll come home Thurs afternoon/Fri morning.

My poor little pumpkin log dog. She really doesn't do pain well. :-( A split paw pad is grounds for a complete shutdown, so I really can't imagine that this is going to be easy for her.

It was kind of funny. When I said that I wanted to see her today, the overnight vet kept telling me: "Now, you might freak out a little bit, we've had to shave her. Most people freak out when they see the shaved parts." She repeated it enough times I finally had to tell her that I didn't care if my dog was freaking NAKED as long as the pain was under control.

If shaved pink naked dog butt is the worst thing I have to deal with, I'll be just FINE! LOLOL!

Yeah, the shaving was the least of my worries! The pain she's in now is from the surgery and WILL go away. I promise that in a few days she'll be feeling better and you will be so glad you went ahead with it...

Ralando II

Continued jingles that Whiskey is feeling better every hour!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

thank you so much guys for the support! I really needed it!

She was *SO* happy to see me, and she's already walking much better than she was before the surgery. The surgery site did have quite a bit of swelling, but everything looked great despite that. (and I couldn't have cared less about the shaved corgi butt)

Sadly, after about 3 or 4 minutes she started whining that she was in pain, (she's still on the IV drip) so we cut it short. The techs and vets all love her. They say even though she has the world's lowest pain tolerance, (yeah... do I ever know THAT) she's so unbelievably sweet and lovable that it makes up for it.

They're thinking she can maybe come home Thurs. evening/Friday morning. Depends on when she starts eating again and when they can get her off of the IV meds and onto oral ones.

Thank you so much everyone! It means a lot. :-)

Awww, poor little thing. But yay for the successful surgery! I'm sure she'll be feeling a little better every day.

I hope that she gets to come home real soon, that will probably make her feel a lot better.

To try and get her to eat in the hospital can you bring her some of her favorite tasty food from home? Maybe some people food like chicken & rice or whatever she really loves. Sometimes they'll eat for their "mom's" when they won't eat for anyone else.

Still jingling.

Well, I got a call from the Vet a little bit ago. I guess seeing me perked her up considerably. They were able to wean her from the IV pain drip and onto oral meds, she ate a little food, and she went pee outside!! (They were very happy about the last one. lol)

So...

She gets to come home tomorrow!

I'm just worried about how to take care of her and keep her the most comfortable once I get her home. She will want to be in my room, but it's upstairs and I would have to carry her down for pottying. (which I'm fine with, but I'm afraid will hurt her more)

Ah well... it'll be great to have her home. We'll figure it out. :-)

Great to hear that Whiskey is on the mend. When you talk about her low tolerance of pain, all I keep seeing in my head is that picture of her from MyCorgi.com with her owie paw so I can just imagine how she is milking this one with her woe is me sad look!!!

Do you know anyone that has an air mattress/aero bed you can borrow for a day or two? Have a little campout downstairs with Whiskey rather then trying to get her up and down the stairs.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

The air bed idea is a good one. But you can pick her up, just make sure it's from the non-surgical side and put her down gently (which is a little harder to get the hang of). You'll be fine and you will figure out what works best for you both!

Glad she's feeling better and gets to come home!

Ralando II

As requested by Lori O:

Whiskey pre-surgery at the vet...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8&l=7c202ea38f

The "famous" owie-paw picture:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8&l=7ad12812b9

(Despite the drama on her face, the owie was nothing more than a split paw pad.)

Default Jingles & AO for Whiskey ~ she is adorable !

Jingles & AO for Whiskey ~ she is adorable !!!

More pictures pplleeaassee ?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"