The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hawaii 5 O. (Not spam! :)

My tv week says H5O will be investigating the death of a polo player in tomorrow night's ep. Even if it's ludicrous, at least there should be some pretty horses to look at.

I grew up in Hawaii. Polo is a pretty big sport there! My first ever non-stall cleaning job was cooling out ponies.

I'm so watching that episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Considering the effort it takes to get horses to Hawaii, it's amazing there are so many of them! Plus when I was visiting I was told there is a really poisonous weed there that if it gets in your pastures is deadly to horses. Don't remember the details now.

It's not really that big a deal to get a horse to Hawaii. I just brought one over 2 weeks ago. It cost about the same as shipping across the states would. Getting from Oregon to Hawaii cost me all of $1900. They do have to have 3 Coggins tests done. One before they get on the boat/plane, one immediately upon getting off and one 45 days later. After that you never have to worry about a Coggins again.

I keep my horses across the street from the polo field the show was filmed on. I go over there every so often for a gallop and a dip in the ocean. I might be selling my gelding to go be a polo pony.

My husband is going to be in the polo episode. I'm going to have to let him know it's playing so he can tell all his friends. It will be his second time as an extra on the show.

^Twisting, are you on Oahu? I used to work in Waiminalo cooling out ponies, kept my horses at Koko Crater, and have ridden at the majority of the barns around the island. My first ever dressage show was at Hilltop.

I miss it so very, very much and really hope that I can bring DH back to show him where I grew up!

I agree with you that it is easier to get horses to Hawaii, then say, import them. There is a big chunk of the population there that is very, very wealthy. There was a time period at my barn that it was the 'in' thing to do was to import horses from Judy de Winter, and the boarders were importing them like crazy for their kids. Even those horses were small peanuts to them. The kids would get bored and I would get to ride them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Just watched. Thanks for the tip!
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Yes, I live on Oahu, I keep my horses at Dillingham. I am trying to sell my boy but it's such a teeny tiny horse community I'm having a hard time finding a buyer. Hopefully the folks coming over from Maui next week will like him.