The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Micklem Bridles

Just wondering about these bridles...anyone have experiences (positive/negative) with them? I believe I read in the EC rules that they are acceptable for competition. They are priced pretty cheaply which always makes me wonder about value vs. quality, but they look to be well made?

Any opinions welcome!

http://www.williammicklem.com/micklembridle.html link, if anyone is interested

LOTS of threads on these, try a search.

The competition bridle is legal in the US for horses ridden in a snaffle, but I am not sure about EC rules. Have heard a few complaints about quality, but it seems to be improving from what people have said.

People -- and horses -- either love 'em or hate 'em, it seems. But the theory behind the design makes a lot of sense.

I've finally decided to try one with my mare as her current set-up makes her itch and want to rub her head on her leg a lot. Her face is such that a regular flash isn't that great (pulls the noseband down unless the noseband is *really* tight, which I won't do to her). We'll see what happens.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Ah, yes, the infamous "search" feature...I don't know if it is my computer or my computer's operator (*gulp*!) but I can't seem to get that to work properly for me...sorry!

**Edited to add: nevermind, it worked this time!
    Last edited by Luna; Sep. 10, 2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: me=dumb

The Multipurpose bridle is also legal and has the nice feature of doubling as a lunging caveson if you need it. I bought one for the fit. It is very adjustable and the only bridle I've found that fits my horse comfortably. Seems to have more "control", he went from jumping in a 3 ring jumper bit to his dressage snaffle. Seems easier to put on and off - just falls in the right place.
    Dover has a 30 money back option if you're unsure.

My DH got me one for Christmas.

I love mine. Tess used to want to use me as a rubbing post, but that has stopped. She seems to be happier in her work, too.

With the Micklem, I use the same snaffle for dressage that I do for all of the eventing jumping phases.

The quality of the leather is not the best, but looks fine if you keep it cleaned and conditioned.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I also have a Micklem bridle and my horse loves it. One question to those using it now.

The leather buckle that holds the bit - Mine stretched out and I found the clips work best but it is using the clips to hold the bit just like the leather pieces - USDF says no clips but is that the clips with the leather holding the bit?

Hopefully someone understands and can help!

Although my horse has *started* to rub his face, he only does it after we're done. While in work though, he actually plays with the bit a ton and is flexing much better to the left (his bad direction).

As for the leather straps that hold the bit, I found they are short to where I need them. I am planning on buying brown leather spur straps and using them instead of the included leather pieces.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Good idea with the spur straps WW_Queen. I have contacted the USEF to ask if the clips are "legal" if only holding the bit and not used as tongue stablization.

I will keep everyone informed of their view.

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

I use one on my mustang and like it - he's less fussy in the bridle with it. The theory behind the design makes sense and I like the padded crown piece with the ear cutouts (or whatever you call them). I don't think the quality is bad - but then again, I've never spent a ton of money on bridles, so to me it is just fine. I actually like the rubber reins, but I know a lot of people don't.

Here's my horse in his Micklem:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28497...MCg?vhost=pets

PP, he is lovely! I will definitely need a bigger browband on my mare, though... (She wears a mostly pony size bridle with a WB size browband!)

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I really like mine, my horse loves it and is actually working well in it. I do not use the clips but have them in case of need. It seems it's a 50/50 thing with the bridle. Horses either love it or hate it. I got mine from smartpak just in case the horse hated it I could return in. My WB wears the oversize and has plenty of room. However I don't like the reins way to thick but I have tiny hands.

I plan to trade reins and use my nice ones from Jerry's Harness. Nothing says you have to use the reins that come with any bridle.

In fact I'd prefer if bridles did not come with reins, because people's preferences vary so much. I do best in leather reins with hand stops, or braided reins. Narrow reins bother my hands (I have arthritis in the left hand and neuropathy in the right hand.) Rubber "pimple grip" reins were great when I first returned to riding, especially on Trump, who was a big guy and tended to lean on my hands.

Thank you for all the great info! I think the first thing I need to do is get his teeth done, but does anyone know if there are Canadian suppliers?

I do really like the Micklem and use it on my guys. The construction is fairly good, but I wish the leather were higher quality (I would be willing to pay a bit more). Especially problematic is the shortest piece that fastens under the bit. My guy is a big slobberer and I can tell that even though I am good about cleaning, that piece is going to be the first thing to go. That said, I have been using the bridle every day for over a year and it is holding up fine so far. The leather on the browband and noseband is pretty nice, but the other pieces could be better
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Does anyone know if there are Canadian suppliers?
    Bakers Saddlery (http://www.bakerssaddlery.com) in Stoufville, Ontario carries a few. I called them figuring I would drive the hour to get it, but they only carry 1 or 2 in stock.

I needed a WB size, and found these guys at the Gift Horse Gallery (http://www.gifthorsegallery.ca). The lady is super nice and answered all my questions ASAP. She was able to get the bridle for me in a week, shipping was only $10 in Canada and (my favourite part) she accepts Debit as a form of payment. So great not to have to use my credit card.

I plan on ordering a black WB one from them for a Christmas gift. (For myself lol.)
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Thank you!!

Another stupid question....Can the Micklem only be used with a loose ring/eggbutt? I use a fulmer right now with my horse (he's big and green), but I am worried because I am not sure if the full cheek part would be in the way...and it doesn't look like I would be able to use keepers?
    Last edited by Luna; Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Thank you!!

Another stupid question....Can the Micklem only be used with a loose ring/eggbutt? I use a fulmer right now with my horse (he's big and green), but I am worried because I am not sure if the full cheek part would be in the way...and it doesn't look like I would be able to use keepers?
    I've used a full cheek with mine before. No keepers though. Doesn't interfere with anything.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Faboo! I am going to rent a Micklem from a local shop this weekend and try it out and see.