The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Baker blanket vs other stable blankets.

I am currently looking at buying my horse another stable blanket and wanted to know your opinions on stable blankets, the Baker blanket especially compared to other blankets. How is the quality compared to other ones? What other ones would you recommend? (Price is not an issue) How does it hold up compared to other stable blankets? Also what are some of the more trendy stable blankets? I love to have my horse dressed in the next best thing!
    Thanks!

Baker are great, they hold up like no ones business. I still have a baker stable blanket from the late 80s. Mi mostly have onlynrambos in my barn for turnouts by I prefer no leg straps and my kids r tough on each others blankets during recess but I have have a few baker turnouts too and they do well also. They tend to be on my mares vs geldings, as they boys r rougher on their clothes.

I prefer the baker plaid to most any other color choice out there though I do find they can be a bit short for horses with a very round barrel. You can layer under a stable blanket with wool sheets if this is the case.
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

RaDon sheets and blankets hold up very well. Even though $$ don't matter to you, a custom RaDon is considerably less than a custom Baker.

I do like Bakers, but I add back straps. Had a few shredded

Baker blankets never die (unless shredded by Squish's horses ). That said, the Clothes Horse makes divine custom everything, so I'm sure their stable blankets are equally drool-worthy. My horse has a Baker and an old Dover brand nylon puffy stable blanket, and when the Dover one is ready to be replaced it will be with a Rambo (I find the Dover brand blankets aren't as good as they used to be).
    friend of bar.ka

Love my Bakers. I have the stable sheets, the slightly heavier "original" blankets, and a turnout sheet.

They're well made, durable, reliable, and look great.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Bakers have always slipped, badly, even in the TB days. I think there are much better options out there. Also, they aren't nylon lined in the shoulder an will rub. Used to be a fan, but not so much anymore.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Bakers have always slipped, badly, even in the TB days. I think there are much better options out there. Also, they aren't nylon lined in the shoulder an will rub. Used to be a fan, but not so much anymore.
    I agree plus they are way too narrow for my horses. Did not fit my large shouldered TB or my roundy QH. Personally, love Rambos. Fit great and don't move. You don't even need legstraps. Worth every penny
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

While they look good, my gelding shredded it like it was tissue paper in literally the first 3 minutes that it was on him. I was not impressed!

I have a Baker blanket and sheet that I purchased for my TB horse in 1985 that are still going strong and have been passed on to several different horses, If that isn't a strong endorement, I don't know what is.

I too have been looking for a stable blanket. I don't want to hijack the thread but I think this would be helpful for the OP as well. My favorites (based on just looking at them online) are the baker, smartpak stable blanket, and rider international supreme. Does anyone have a comparison of the 3?
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    I too have been looking for a stable blanket. I don't want to hijack the thread but I think this would be helpful for the OP as well. My favorites (based on just looking at them online) are the baker, smartpak stable blanket, and rider international supreme. Does anyone have a comparison of the 3?
    I have had two horses-WB/TB and a TB/Paint-both 16 hands and not overly chunky. Neither fit the Baker in the shoulders at all. Not a fan!

I have a Rider's International turn out sheet and it is probably four years old by now and still in perfect condition. I haven't tried the Smart Pak blankets yet but would in a heartbeat knowing Smart Pak's customer service commitment.

I have had great luck with Rhinos and Amigos too. I love the Weatherbeetas BUT have two blankets with tricky back stomach buckles.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Baker fabric wears like iron but I agree with the others that their sheets/blankets are cut very narrowly. The company does not seem to have caught on that many of today's horses tend to be larger and built with more substance.

That said, if you love the look (which I do, as it's very traditional) you could always have The Clothes Horse custom make a blanket for you out of that plaid fabric. They aren't cheap at $250 or so, but that would solve the problem of fit, and they will also line the shoulders in nylon so that you don't get rubs.

Personally I love the Thermalux stable blankets, but they are hard to find in the US now.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    I have had two horses-WB/TB and a TB/Paint-both 16 hands and not overly chunky. Neither fit the Baker in the shoulders at all. Not a fan!

I have a Rider's International turn out sheet and it is probably four years old by now and still in perfect condition. I haven't tried the Smart Pak blankets yet but would in a heartbeat knowing Smart Pak's customer service commitment.

I have had great luck with Rhinos and Amigos too. I love the Weatherbeetas BUT have two blankets with tricky back stomach buckles.
    I too have a Rider's International turnout. The fit and durability make me want to go ahead and try the stable blanket. But I hate to pay the shipping and have to deal with Dover!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Wink Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Yes to all the above. Baker plaid is very traditional and looks good on any horse but the fit is marginal at best. On that note, I do not like the heavy blanket at all - the fabric is very dense and does not keep a horse warm when directly next to the skin. Therefore I only use the sheets with leg straps and if they don't fit then I use a Brubacher sheet which fits GREAT. Also there are many Baker knockoffs which are very deceiving and not the same quality.

I just got my first baker sheet a couple months ago. I've always wanted one but just didn't want to pay the price. They have a good reputation, but they don't have legstraps and are made pretty narrow. Mine fits my horse fine and he looks great in it. I've always loved the baker plaid!

Do they tend to shrink? Do shaving stick to them?

would they be a good option for under a turnout blanket? the turnout comes off at night but the baker would stay on.

I concur about the fit. A bit small compared to other brands. I use mine when my horse is clipped and temps are no colder than the high 30s. It just doesn't keep them warm at lower temps. I love it as a trailering blanket, though (also in milder temps). Used it this morning and probably a bit warm, but horse isn't clipped yet.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    Do they tend to shrink? Do shaving stick to them?

would they be a good option for under a turnout blanket? the turnout comes off at night but the baker would stay on.
    They do not shrink if washed properly - they do wash up well. Yes, shavings stick to them but that goes for anything cotton. Good under a t/out - but again they have to fit the horse.

The Baker blanket fabric wears really well and doesn't shrink (don't use hot water). They do look sharp and will probably never go out of style!!

If you're lucky enough to find a great fit for your horse, great.

But if the fit isn't dead on, you might get some nasty rubs. You definitely don't want it too big and moving around.

I find the fit is inconsistent, so I would get a couple and try them on before committing. (Fit is also inconsistent between the blankets and other items. I've made the mistake of monogramming a cooler thinking the fit would be the same. :-( )

Shavings stick a bit, but not as bad as fleece. My boy loves his Baker! They're breathable and still a bit cozy.

The belly coverage does increase with length. But if your horse has a short back and deep girth, his belly will be exposed. Likewise broad shoulders and a short back might be an issue.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!