The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hanging hay nets in stalls

I just bought a Nibble Net for my horse to use in her stall. For those of you who use them (or any other type of net) how high and how do you hang them? I realize that head-down grazing is healthiest, but she wears shoes and I want to keep things safe.

Thanks!

With shoes I would probably do chest level. Mine is barefoot and I hang hers a bit lower.

I am an old pony clubber (taught to always hang at eye level for safety), but I haven't had any issues with small hole nets hung low (with out shoes).

I would also watch your horse eat from the net. Some get frustrated with the small holes and paw at the net, in which case it would be prudent to raise it up out of hoof height.

Use bailing twine or small yarn to tie up, then if anyone gets hung up, it will break easily.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I hang Nibble Nets down pretty low--I worry more about long strings getting tangled around legs and doing damage than I do about a horse accidentally getting a foot stuck in one. Both are obviously not great, but I've had my horses come in with things stuck on their blankets, hanging from their fly masks, and even once with a bush in one of their tails and they seem pretty un-bothered by it.

I have big rings mounted at about six feet in all my stalls for hanging hay nets or tying horses. I usually hang the nets so the horse is reaching down slightly but not way down near the ground. For my one horse who had a neck problem I either don't use a hay net or I use the Nibble Net, which to me just seems safer.
    Click here before you buy.

I have screw eyes mounted maybe 6-6.5 ft high. I attach an elastic leg strap to that and knot it maybe 1/2-2/3 down. I then attach the hay net to that with a double ended snap.

As the hay net gets lighter, the elastic leg straps pulls it up higher out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    I have screw eyes mounted maybe 6-6.5 ft high. I attach an elastic leg strap to that and knot it maybe 1/2-2/3 down. I then attach the hay net to that with a double ended snap.

As the hay net gets lighter, the elastic leg straps pulls it up higher out of the way.
    Oooh, what a good idea! I have lots of random leg straps in a box in my tack room, just looking for work.
    Click here before you buy.

That's a great idea!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Use bailing twine or small yarn to tie up, then if anyone gets hung up, it will break easily.
    I do the same thing. I cut my hay nets' ropes a bit shorter (but not too short, otherwise they won't open wide enough), clip a double-ended snap to it, and tie a loop of bailing twine on the bottom of the net. Then when I'm hanging the net, I just put the rope through my screw-eye and clip it to the twine. Easy, fast, and safe!

Brilliant!
    I thought I was okay hanging my small hole haynets at chest level until I found a 6" piece of the nylon material sticking out from my horse's left front shoe. He must have pawed at it and gotten it caught between his shoe and his hoof and pulled until the strand broke off.

I hang at chest height since my mare likes to wave her front feet when she gets towards the bottom of the net.

I take the knot out of the end of the hanging rope on my small hole hay nets then when full I make a small loop to hook the double ended snap to and hang at about 3' above the floor. Everything that dangles is just rope so nothing to get stuck in.
    Some bags I use a bucket strap (remove the string) that I thread thru the top loops.

My horses are all barefoot.