The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who shoots a collie?

Someone in Hazard KY I guess.

I picked Bucky up in Hazard on Tuesday to transport him to his foster home in Louisville. We had him pulled from the high kill shelter in Hazard...they get in over 100 dogs a week.

The poor boy had a dislocated hip that healed abnormally and, as a consequence, one leg is shorter than the other. He has a slight limp, but doesn't seem to be in pain. When the vet x-rayed him, he found 50 to 100 buckshot in his hindquarters.

This is the sweetest, most loving collie I've ever met. Who does something like this?

In any case, he's looking for a home. He's completely vetted, neutered and microchipped. He's only three years old and looks like the old style farm collies.

Here's his photo: http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=Bucky.jpg

He's available at Tri-State Collie Rescue. He's not up on the website yet, will be this week. I really want this boy to go to a good home...he deserves one. He'll be your velcro dog, all he wants is love and attention. You can PM me or submit an application on the Tri-State website (yes I know, website is not great, we're working on an upgrade).
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default there are people in my county

and on my street that would shoot any dog they caught in their pastures with their livestock.

The biggest question is who let such a lovely boy run loose and get into trouble in the first place.

Glad he landed somewhere soft.

My childhood dog Jack (who was a hugely oversized Sheltie who actually looked a lot like Bucky) was a rescue. He was an animal control seizure from a man who would leave him outside when he left, not contained in any way.

When Jack would (unsurprisingly) wander off during the day, and people would bring him back, the guy would beat him for "running away." Animal control finally took him when they responded to a call from a neighbor, and caught the guy throwing the poor dog AGAINST THE WALL OF THE GARAGE to "punish him."

Around age 10, Jack was having some digestive issues and had abdominal xrays. When the emergency vet put the film up, he opened with, "so you can see his hip and spine here. Then there's the buckshot, but I'm sure you knew about that..."

No, no we did not. It did explain his hip and back pain, though.

I've always assumed he was shot by someone whose property he was wandering through, but we'll never know. Poor dog.

Bless you for helping Bucky. He looks like such a sweet boy. I hope he finds a wonderful forever home!!

ooooooooooohh...go ahead, break my heart early in the morn...........those collie faces ......ooooooooooooo..........my collie gal would LOVE to catch and eat my barn cats, but i still would shoot her with buckshot!......

being the only human in a 5 dog household, i think most of my dogs are velcro dogs, butmy collie is certainly VERY in tune with my actions/movements........would love to be a 2 collie house, but i think i am at my dog limit right now......he is a real cutie............good luck

people can be such jerks,eh?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    This is the sweetest, most loving collie I've ever met. Who does something like this?
    Probably someone who had livestock being herded by a stray dog.

I agree that the real jerk is the owner who let him run loose...or who abandoned him...or both. Poor boy!

Wow, when you said collie I was thinking border collie. I wasn't expecting a picture of a scrawny roughcoated Lassie type collie. Poor guy. I hope he finds his way to easy street after his hard times.

Tallyho, I know. I'm at my 4 dog limit or he would have never made it on the next leg of the transport. I hear he's a lovebug in his foster home. Needs about 15 pounds and some love. He's a big boy, not sure how he is with cats yet.

Hope he finds a home soon; he looks VERY sweet. I'm curious, did the vet remove/attempt to remove the buckshot?

oooooo, glad he is a lovey foster home.......and i mis-typed, i would NOT shoot a dog of mine for chasing cats

The vet is leaving the buckshot. It's an old injury and is healed...doesn't appear to be causing him any pain. He has an odd gait from badly healed dislocated hip, but he jumped right up in the my car and the next transport's station wagon. He's loving his foster home! We've had adoption inquiries on him already. Whoever gets him is a very lucky adopter.

Yep...I'd guess he was chasing livestock (or killing chickens etc.).

If he was one of the "scary" breeds (pitbulls/rottie/germ shep etc) I would expect people to shoot at him..Collies have a good reputation with people, so I expect stock protection was his offense.

Looks like a pretty guy. I tried getting a collie a couple of months ago...she refused to stop chasing the cats...back to the breeder she went. I like collies, but any breed is fair game if they go after livestock.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Turns out it was birdshot, not buckshot. He's still Bucky though. We had a donation come in for him, if it was a COTHER, Bucky and I thank you.

He's loving his foster home, we're putting some weight on him, some training and some TLC.

We have had poachers come onto OUR land and shoot OUR dogs on OUR property.

Let's not blithely assume this dog or his owners did a single damn thing wrong, please, on our way down Judgment Street.

He is in Louisville, Kentucky. We've had adopters as far away as Florida, just had someone come pick up a dog from Columbia, MD.

Yellowbritches, if you think you might be interested, put in an application ASAP. We're not the crazy type of rescue, we understand that dogs go to barns, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post

I agree that the real jerk is the owner who let him run loose...or who abandoned him...or both. Poor boy!
    You never had a dog run off?

We have a lot of collies turned in because they are herding cows, children, nipping, etc. People just don't do their research on what the characteristics are of a herding dog. They see a collie and think Lassie. The storybook version. Some of them would do better with a fish.

The reality is, we're lucky if they're turned in. This guy was pulled from a shelter; he had been found wandering loose. The birdshot and the dislocated hip are an old injury, probably from when he was a puppy. The hip was never fixed, it healed abnormally and has formed another socket.

This guy was pulled from a shelter; he had been found wandering loose. The birdshot and the dislocated hip are an old injury, probably from when he was a puppy. The hip was never fixed, it healed abnormally and has formed another socket.
    sounds like his former owners were oh so wonderful.

Lots of people would shoot a collie- many of YOU would if you found one bothering your livestock.

It's always the owners fault of course; if the dog is properly cared for and kept properly confined to the owner's property it doesn't go wandering and doesn't cause trouble that causes it to get shot.