The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Share your homemade/found object dog toy ideas....

What have you made or recycled into safe, engaging dog toys? I have a busy 6 month old Border Collie/Aussie cross, about 35 pounds, and need ideas. So far he has enjoyed 1 liter soda bottles, most recently when I trap a few treats inside. Deflated rubber balls are also popular ( I get them from my job at an elementary school), but have to be taken away once he starts tearing pieces off.

I'm looking for new ideas to keep things interesting for the pup, and save some money at the same time. Thanks!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My Aussie as a pup (and adult) enjoyed gallon plastic milk jugs--lots of tooth holes, but when they got too chewed up, I recycled them.

Pieces of heavy rubber hose (automotive?) seem to work great for the pitbull who is the drug dog in our community--she goes crazy for them, and they seem indestructible.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

About 4' of stiffer, braided rope, that every dog we had loved to carry around, swing and tug of war if you were game.

I have one with a knot on one end, the other one slick.
    Those have been around for a good 40 years and are still going strong.

Nylon lead ropes cut in half with the hardware removed, knotted. Endless hours of fun and almost indestructible. I have a lab. No further explanation necessary

I heat the ends of the rope enough to melt them so it doesn't fray.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thanks for the replies...I'm going to rummage around in the tack room tomorrow to find some old lead ropes and give them a new job. I know that milk jugs will be popular when he gets just a bit bigger.

My ten month Aussie pup goes absolutely crazy for antlers. They're a little expensive in the store, but you can go for a hike in the woods (depending where you live) and find some for free! She is very proud of her new 3 point antler and runs around showing it to everyone. Any sort of retired sports ball has her delighted.

My dog loves tennis balls tied into the toes of old socks. To make a good tug rope I'd just tie a long line of mismatched/holey socks together. He enjoyed it when his puppy teeth were hurting him a bit, plus he thought the stretchy socks were SO MUCH FUN. Tennis ball makes it bounce around so he could play around and chase it on his own.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

try a paint roller.
    Or an old leather glove. Or an empty grain bag- nice and crinkly and tough to rip apart.

When my pyr was a pup, I poked a hole through the bottom of a large plastic drink cup (like from a fast-food place), knotted a string, threaded it through the hole, and tied it to something sturdy.

It provided hours of entertainment, something about the noise it made being batted around was a bit hit. I did cut a couple holes in it, to keep it from getting stuck on his nose as he got big enough for that to happen, but a smaller dog muzzle wouldn't be an issue.

Ice cubes . . . not so much to chew on, as to chase. I knew a dog who would do that (Chase them around. If you put them in his water, he'd try to eat them, but submerge his nose too and then have to exhale as he did it, thereby blowing bubbles in his water, startling him away. He would then see the ice cubes, become intrigued, and start again. It was just as cute as it sounds). And then drink the water they left behind once melted. My cats also do this (chasing and drinking the water, and playing with them in their water bowls), and in fact beg for ice cubes whenever I go near the freezer.

I also second the lead rope/long rope idea, because tug-of-war is my boyfriend's dog's second-favorite game (after fetch with balls). You could also get a "chuck it" - it's a long stick that lets you throw a ball farther, and with no slobber-covered hands.

Won't last long, but fun to shred, especially good for tiny puppies, empty toilet paper and paper towel cardboard tubes, but first you have to do a Tarzan yell through them.

Our dogs found their own toys. They love corn cobs( with kernels) from the neighboring corn fields, but these are messy in the house. A pair of deer antlers they found and have been working on for 2 years now( dangerous to humans when walking in a dark house) A horse jolly ball( horses turned up their noses). An almost cleaned out peanut butter jar.

ohhh I second solara!! How could I forget how much my dogs like ice cubes!! Just as entertaining for me as it is for my dogs.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Our BC and who knows what mix (presumably Husky) likes to tear up cardboard boxes...any kind, shipping boxes, cereal boxes, etc... Anything that is wood, including sticks she finds in the yard. She doesn't eat anything she shreds, so I don't worry too much.

Last month, I found a big balance ball thing, made for Pilates or some other kind of exercise, at the dump, for free. She had a BLAST herding that all over the yard and jumping on it and flipping over it, until she finally popped it .

My Aussie's favorite toy was.......a trash can! One of the bedroom sized cheap plastic ones (the more rubbery kind - I used to spend a lot of time at discount stores prssing on trash cans to find the kind that had bendy plastic that didnt form sharp edges!)
    Of course he was kinda weird. He would grab it and hit it against the sides of the doorway (still have marks in the woodwork) Then he would stick his front feet in and slide on the tile floor. And he would also stick his head in and run - sometimes into a wall. Barking inside it was also fun. When one would get too chewed up, I would recycle and provide another. It was all good fun - except when he slammed it into the water pipes under the bathroom sink, breaking them and causing a flood

Oh, seems to me corn cobs can be problematic with the GI tract?