The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CANTEREOIN View Post
    OK, not to hijack but what if its a tailgate, the weather is going to be cold and you don't have access to a power source to use a crock pot? I love to cook and I have time to do so for our upcoming hunt... love some new ideas... Anyone?
    Disposable chafing dishes available at most party supply stores.

OK, not to hijack but what if its a tailgate, the weather is going to be cold and you don't have access to a power source to use a crock pot? I love to cook and I have time to do so for our upcoming hunt... love some new ideas... Anyone?
    Will you have access to a grill or bbq? If so, I might prepare something in advance in a nice heavy fire-safe pot, make sure it's piping hot, wrap it up in insulation for transport, then put it on the bbq on arrival. (This does depend somewhat on how far you're traveling with it, though. I wouldn't want to risk it dipping into the 'warm' temperature zone en route, but starting with it hot if you don't have far to travel saves a lot of time reheating it on the grill/bbq. Or you can get those catering tray thingies with the fuel lights at places like GFS, but those are not going to be enough to heat something from chilled successfully, I suspect.

(Alternatively, is there somewhere nearby and a handy spare person you could station with it where it could be plugged in, so it just has to be unplugged and transported a short distance for serving? As long as people served up right away it should stay warm long enough for everyone to get food.)

Or buy a large purpose-made insulated thermos type container - pre-heat it with hot water, then add the hot food? Possibly check your local sporting goods store that has a good hunting/camping section, too - there's a lot of stuff these days designed to plug into the car, there might be something that would do the trick.

(I'm mostly suggesting pre-heating for most things because I'm assuming a relatively large volume of food and most portable heating options are not going to heat a volume of food quickly, which means more time in the bacteria danger zone if the food starts out cool or warm.)

For actual food ideas - when I was producing a student film and had to do craft services for one meal in the fall I heated up meatballs (from CostCo because I did not have time to meatball from scratch) and spaghetti sauce (likewise) and then put them together in a crock pot and served that with hoagie type rolls and some pre-sliced provolone cheese and a veggie tray. That was pretty popular with cast and crew and was easy to eat even though we didn't really have space to properly sit down at tables. I'm sure if someone wanted to take the time to make the meat balls and the sauce it'd be even better.

(To allow for vegetarians, if necessary, I'd probably do a side container of something like mushrooms and maybe some other 'hearty' vegetables like eggplant that turn up in Italian cooking, cut into meatball sized chunks and cooked as necessary and then in sauce. So you could have what amounted to a vegetarian meatball sub without having to supply too many additional bits and pieces. Plus, most vegetarians I've talked to get tired of being places where there's a main meal for everyone else and then some weird little odd-thing-out off to the side for them like an afterthought. They've generally appreciated being able to have a vegetarian-safe version of what everyone else is having, or else I just do a hearty side dish that will function as a side for meat eaters but vegetarians can load up on it as a main course.)

... Is catering for hunts something you can do? Because I don't have a horse right now and am not really in fit shape to ride, but helping with providing the food and getting to talk to horsey folks sounds like it could be fun.

Are you bringing the food for Westminster?
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I just made these on Sunday for Football, they turned out AMAZING ! Super Easy and delicious. I had several comments on how good they would be for breakfast.

Kentucky hot browns ( or something close)

Ingrediants-

Grands butter biscuits
    Ham
    Swiss cheese
    Provolone cheese
    Honey mustard
    Spicy Mustard
    Butter
    Honey

Directions-

Before baking the biscuits split them in half. On one side spread with honey mustard, on the other spicy mustard. Then use swiss on one side and provolone on the other ( this is important, if you dont put cheese on each side they wont stick together). Add ham and then add your top ( with whichever cheese is not on the bottom). Arrange on a pan and bake as directed on biscuits. While they are baking add a small amount of butter and honey to bowl and nuke until hot. Brush the top of the biscuits while they still have about 5minutes to cook.

PS- The provolone cheese, Spicy mustard and butter are my own additions. Im not a huge fan of swiss and didnt want to use alot but knew it would give good flavor so I added the provolone. I like things with a little kick so added the spicy mustard, and well...everything is good with butter !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    ... Is catering for hunts something you can do? Because I don't have a horse right now and am not really in fit shape to ride, but helping with providing the food and getting to talk to horsey folks sounds like it could be fun.
    We have a sign-up sheet, and you select the two days you would like to prepare the meals. Our hunts aren't usually very large (maybe 15-20 people, unless weather is terrible), so say food for 20-25 to be safe. There are no guidelines, other than you select two days. I've been told that ordering pizza, breadsticks and salad is fine, but I would like to do something a bit nicer than that. The sweet potato/cheese soup sounds wonderful, so does the souffle. I'm just such a bad cook and would hate to give anyone food poisoning (it's happened in the past ). I would gladly pay for someone to cater it for me.
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Are you bringing the food for Westminster?
    Yes and since its my first of the season, I want it to be really special... do you have ideas? And will I see you there?

Yes and since its my first of the season, I want it to be really special... do you have ideas? And will I see you there?
    I'm planning on it. Freedom has been battling abscesses -- two in a row . He feels pretty good right now and those meadows are just what the doctor ordered in terms of footing. Keep your fingers crossed!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I've made Mexican Gumbo for large crowds and it's gone over well. Very easy to put together and you can use canned ingredients (no one will know ). Foolproof and very unlikely to cause any sort of poisoning issues . You can also leave it in a crockpot all day and it only gets better.

To feed 4-6 people (depending on appetite), I use 2 cans of tortilla soup (Campbell's 100% Natural Chicken Tortilla-or you can make your own), 1 small can of corn (drained), 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed), 1 large can of chicken breast (drained). Spice it up with some paprika and cayenne pepper (to taste). You can make this vegetarian by using tortilla soup without the chicken and leaving the canned chicken out of the recipe. Serve with white rice, tortillas, and shredded white Mexican cheese. Very yummy.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My husband was a hero at one Hunt breakfast. He bbq'd sides of salmon
    until not quite done. Wrapped them in tinfoil, in an insulated cooler, and
    delivered to the Hunt on time before we all got back - and he had to get through the border as well into Wa State!

I think a crock pot would not hold enough for a crowd - maybe two or even three. Lots of sides, lots of baking.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

So what is the recipe for the Sweet Potato/Gruyere soup of which you speak?? Sounds YUMMY!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    So what is the recipe for the Sweet Potato/Gruyere soup of which you speak?? Sounds YUMMY!
    INORITE??!!!??

Well, my google-fu came up with:

Wisconsin Gruyere Cheese and Sweet Potato Soup

Potato, Bacon and Gruyere Soup which could be modified.

Sweet Potato and Roasted Corn Soup with Gruyere Croutons which sounds great!!

It's a good thing.
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

While I probably have no business responding here because I have not cooked a post hunt meal, I have entertained quite a bit and had to feed large crowds. I will say if you get the Oct/Nov issue of Southern Lady magazine there is an article about hunting and it has several recipes for post hunt meals (which sound somewhat easy) and can be made in advance. It includes a soup(duck and potato chowder), a meat (filet with horseradish sauce), dessert (molasses walnut tars) and if I recall other items. Hope that helps!

Meant to add this to last post but I have a divine recipe for a butternut squash bisque. Sounds complicated but is not, just take times. What is wonderful about it, it can sit in a dutch oven type pot on your stove and slow cook as long as needed. With it being a bisque, its thick and very filling as well and warms you to the bone. It has now become a holiday tradition in my house. (btw, you can substitute with pumpkins in the event you need to do something with the ones you have laying around the house post halloween)

Butternut Squash Bisque

Preheat oven to 400
    Start by slicing 3+/- large butternut squash in half, cleaning innards out.
    lay in casserole fleshy side up in casserole pan, add water to casserole may 1/2"
    take fork and poke a few holes in fleshy side of squash
    place a few pats of butter on fleshy side, then sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and fresh cracked sea salt
    cover with aluminum foil
    Place in oven and roast for 45 min to 1.5 hours (until squash look droopy and flesh is soft and easy to scrape out)

While that is roasting in large stock pot (sauce pan) fill halfway with water. add medium size bag of baby carrots, 1 large sweet onion chopped and 1 bag of celery cut small. Boil water until veggies are super soft. after veggies super soft, take out veggies but leave vegetable stock (water) aside until further use.

Scrape flesh out of squash. Place in large saute pan with butter (maybe 2TBS). Add sea salt and cracked pepper to taste. Add 1 clove garlic diced (optional). Saute for 15 minutes until flash becomes very soft and almost mushy. drain remaining butter.

Place squash and veggies in food processor (you can also use blender- thats what I do). blend until pureed. Pour puree into dutch oven, add water necessary to make thick soup versus puree. This varies according to your preference. Cook 30 minutes on medium heat to allow water to reduce. Then add 1//2 small container of heavy whipping cream to make delicious and thick. Now you can cook as long or as little as you prefer. Season lightly with sea salt and cracked pepper.

I know it sounds complicated but I promise it is not! Even my cooking inept cousin (that should be banned from all things kitchen related) could make it! If you have questions, PM me!

Default Sweet Potato Gruyere

Here is the link:

http://www.eatwisconsincheese.com/re....aspx?rid=2671

I've found any croutons will do if you don't want to make these.

For vegetarian I substitute the chicken broth with Vegetable broth. I don't put it in a blender, I found that rather dangerous. I just use a potato masher and mash it in the soup pot.

Gruyere is expensive. Last batch I substitued a Gruyere/Chedder I found at Trader Joe's and added a little Swiss. Next time I might just try the Swiss.

I also used 4 sweet potatoes on the last batch.

It is yummy.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

a plug in power inverter in the truck will keep that crockpot going

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    a plug in power inverter in the truck will keep that crockpot going
    For five hours?!