The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Lost track of this thread for a while, so it was fun reading all the updates this morning. Sounds like you got a really nice one: brains, an engine & changes to boot? Really, what more could one ask for at this point?! So happy for you and excited to see you out & about with him next spring!
    I evented just for the Halibut.

First of all he is CUTE! Congrats!

Second, I, too, chose Porter as my guy's barn name when I got him off the track. (His registered name is Portuguesemano'war and my critters all have alcohol themed names.) So I think it is a fantastic choice, and it still sticks 2 1/2 years later.

Glad to hear he is doing so well, and I hope the name karma works for you, because I absolutely LOVE my sane, willing, happy, silly Porter!
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
    --Thoreau

bornfreenowexpensive is offline Supreme Procrastinator Premium Member
    Original Poster

I tried to get some pictures of him today after our ride...but couldn't really get him to stand still---had to finally grab someone to hold him and get his head out of the grass He had a bath and was drying in the sun. Sorry they are not very good...but he is filling out and starting to look like an event horse!! Please ignore our fashion statement in turnout bellboots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	37147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	37148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	37149
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 11, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

So Porter had his first "Outing" today (off the farm). Loaded him easily on the trailer with friend and we went to Laurel Hill farm (nearby farm with a nice xc course and access to good country). My friend at that farm met me with a steady eddy hunt horse to be my lead (barn mate's mare is not one you want to get close to )

Porter was a star. Unloaded, let me get right on and he lead the way on walk down to the xc course. After his first "shock" of seeing all the jumps--and me assuring him that nothing lived under most of them (well nothing he should worry about). We trotted around the LARGE open field. Yup...no breaks really, no real steering either but we trotted around the field fairy nicely. First time I've ridden him out in that open of an area with hills! Going down hill he would get a little quick but was starting to sort it out. Trotted over some of the little logs like a champ (didn't back off, quietly cantered away the one he actually jumped ) In and out of the water jump, no drama. Across a little stream...no biggie. Down some REALLY steep hills. Pretty good. We hacked down to the river...no hesitation and went right in without a close lead. I think once I actually have him a bit more schooled on the flat....we will actually have a nice event horse!!!!

Plan is to get him over to that farm each weekend that we have decent weather...and do more flat work etc in the open fields to learn how to be a bit more ridable up and down hills

LOVE a good OTTB!!!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

5 members found this post helpful.

Hey..call me and I will meet you at Laurel hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give him a hug for me.....My new WS bought Kat and he went intro last weekend..his 1st XC EVER and tomorrow he goes BN..haha...filling Artaxs scratch @ FMF, gotta love these OTTB's....

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Hey..call me and I will meet you at Laurel hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give him a hug for me.....My new WS bought Kat and he went intro last weekend..his 1st XC EVER and tomorrow he goes BN..haha...filling Artaxs scratch @ FMF, gotta love these OTTB's....
    Will do!! I also can easily get over to Fair Hill. Next nice weekend after Thanksgiving.....hopefully we will have a few

Default OTTB's

Not sure if you have been following Facebook, but Ramsey is out showing everyone Even leading and following over jumps, leading and following for trail rides, love him!!!
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Not sure if you have been following Facebook, but Ramsey is out showing everyone Even leading and following over jumps, leading and following for trail rides, love him!!!
    Fabulous! I haven't jumped Porter much Just 2-3 times. Still working on going straight (feels like you are on a drunken sailor at times ) He was wonderful on our hack alone this morning. Flushed a bunch of deer and he was fine, hacked through the woods, over the stream like a pro. Big Heron flew out of the stream and in front of us and he was fine. Love the ones with a good brain.

Ramsey seems to have straight ok, I had only been on him 3 times before coming to Camden, he is getting the full camp Camden treatment, love his attitude!!
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Brew..Brewski..Brewster..Brewsker..Brick..Breck..

He looks great and sounds wonderful! Sorry i didn't get in on the naming thread. I soooooooo would have picked "Sam Adams"!

He is so adorable! Congrats on your boy, look forward to the updates about him.

Original Poster

So slipped in a reference to Porter on one of my posts on Facebook....and yup, Mom asked if I had another horse. Ah well...I was going to have to say something about him at some point.....but he has now been outed on Facebook

Looking forward to my lesson on him tomorrow morning. I have one of the BEST trainers...4* level rider, teaches a great lesson AND.....willing to teach me at 6:30 am. She will be bright and awake...as will Porter (he's a border collie in a horse suit)...me, not so much

BFNE, when I looked at the pedigree, my first thought, was "Oh dear god, that name HAS to GO!!!" Glad you agree.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Not as bad as one of my newbies a gelding.."Women No Easy"...or the horse whose name I was told was French but turned out to be a Russian Explitive....or the nice colt who name was Spanish for "Irish Girl"....

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Not as bad as one of my newbies a gelding.."Women No Easy"...or the horse whose name I was told was French but turned out to be a Russian Explitive....or the nice colt who name was Spanish for "Irish Girl"....

True....not the worst....but so does not fit him He was good for his lesson this morning too. And he knows what pocket has treats

Original Poster

Was doing some searching and found this old thread and thought I would up date it. My facebook friends have seen Porter updates but not so much here!

Porter is doing FANTASTIC. He got a bit of easy time over the winter while I was building the farm but we have been working hard all summer. He has done a couple of novice HTs and we are considering moving up to training soon. He recently xc schooled with Jimmy Wofford and was a star....jumping some Prelim fences. He just needs to get better about dropping into water.

I've had a couple of offers to buy him...but this boy isn't for sale I'm hoping he will be ready for a 1* next year....but we will see, it looks likely right now given how he feels schooling. Dressage...well, that is taking a bit longer but its getting there....I think that is more me than him

Here is a picture from our xc school. The fence was bigger looking in person! It was on the Prelim course but an early fence....he did a big a$$ prelim table not long after this. Scope is not going to be an issue! He's not doing too bad for only a year of training.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porterJW.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	38813  

Thanks for the update- Porter looks like a star indeed!

Beautiful
    "What's so funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding?" Elvis Costello

BFNE what did you decide for a show name??
    Come to the Dark Side, We Have Cross Country

http://ridingonthedarkside.blogspot.com/