The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taking The Plunge...buying a trailer. Which one?

As the title says, I'm ready to buy a trailer.

Want: 2 horse with living quarters.

What are the best options? I'm looking for something that will stand up to the abuse a trailer can go through, is easy to hook up (gooseneck), and is comfortable for both horse and rider.

I'd like something not too pricey, but certainly understand that you get what you pay for. I've met a lot of trailer owners that have said "I wish I knew 'insert negative comment here' before I bought this trailer." I want to avoid this if possible, and figured this would be the best place to get ideas!

How big is your truck? Not my personal experience, but I've known people who have a 1/2 ton truck, buy the 2h w/LQ, only to realize that it's really too heavy for their truck. It may be within the weight rating, but it puts a lot of strain on their truck and it's hard going up steep hills. Of course part of that depends on where you live and what sort of terrain you will be driving. On the flip side I have seen people do just fine with a 1/2 ton, just depends on the individual truck and trailer.

The OP should do a search on this question. There have been a couple recent threads on trailers with LQs in Off Course.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Over the summer I bought a Turnbow (2h 'reverse slant' with finished DR and AC/heat - but not living quarters.) I've seen some Turnbows with LQ and they were amazing. They can do totally custom and have an incredible amount of insight and experience.

I've been in love with my trainer's Turnbow for a long time, and so far I'm in love with my trailer, too. Turnbow was great to work with, answered all my questions, and they even fixed a fuse on our truck (for free) when we went to pick up the trailer!

The trailer's 'maiden voyage' was a 1200 mile round trip to pick up my new horse... in August. If I hadn't been sold before, I would be now - she loaded and traveled GREAT, stayed cool in the heat, and walked off the trailer happy as can be. The trailer hauled great, worked great, looked great. I almost managed to enjoy the trip, knowing that my girl was riding in the sturdiest trailer I've ever worked with (and I am a world champion worrier.)

I purchased a demo trailer that had some extras I wouldn't have otherwise paid for. I would have considered the hydraulic landing gear an extra but boy oh boy, it has quickly become a necessity. Super easy to hook up and I know I can do it by myself, at 4 am, in the dark, with coffee in one hand. Everyone that has seen it wishes they had it, so I guess that's the best option I can think of!

The option I was actually most set on was the front and side ramps. I've experienced quite a few trailers over the years and I think the horses load happier on this configuration, and you get the benefits of them riding slant-load without the safety issue of not being able to get to the front horse quickly. Pulling into a hectic show grounds and unloading by simply walking straight, forward, down the side ramp is the BEST!

(I also did plenty of searches on here while shopping for a trailer, and there is a ton of info, but I haven't posted much about my trailer so I thought I'd reply here too.)

Thanks for the advise. I'll ck Off-Course.

Im hauling with a Chevy 4wd 2500HD, Gas engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Neigh-Neigh View Post
    Thanks for the advise. I'll ck Off-Course.

Im hauling with a Chevy 4wd 2500HD, Gas engine.
    IMHO, not enough truck for a trailer with LQ.

Rofl, this is like asking, "I've decided to take up a religion. I want one that doesn't take up too much time but still saves my soul. Which one should I choose?"

LOL, sorry to tease, but seriously, ask 7 people about horse trailers and you'll get 37 different answers.... Same goes for trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Rofl, this is like asking, "I've decided to take up a religion. I want one that doesn't take up too much time but still saves my soul. Which one should I choose?"

LOL, sorry to tease, but seriously, ask 7 people about horse trailers and you'll get 37 different answers.... Same goes for trucks.
    Add saddles to the list and you've hit a home run.

For what it's worth, we love our Equispirit. ., .

Aw, dang, I forgot about saddles. And joint supplements!

Until he retires, I will not buy a trailer from anyone from Dave McAdoo at Tobruk trailers. Pity they're so darn nice and last forever, because I probably won't have to buy one again for 10 years or more.
    Click here before you buy.

I just bought my trailer this year and went through a lot of hmmm-ing and haaaawing about it. Essentially just made a list of what I want, what can I afford, what can my truck pull. I wasn't willing to upgrade my truck, so it had to be easily hauled by it first.

That may help you get some direction on what you can manage.
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Well, after my hitch dropped off my truck yesterday at 65 mph, complete with chains breaking & setting my trailer completely loose on the highway and then seeing how amazingly balanced my Jamco bumper pull stayed as it coasted to a stop without nary a bobble or a wobble, I would say I'm a HUGE Jamco fan.

Jamco's do not belong the inexpensive category, however.

Holy crap! That's terrifying--everyone OK?
    Click here before you buy.

That's crazy!! how did the hitch drop off???
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Yes, posted about in Off Course. Miracle # 1 was trailer coasting to a stop on grass shoulder. Miracle # 2 was the dozen + people who stopped to help me. Miracle # 3 that I did not mention in my plug for Jamco above, is that the trailer appears to be completely unscathed! ( both truck & trailer are currently being thoroughly reviewed at this moment by a professional to be sure)

Trailer where it came to a stop on highway:

http://imageshack.us/a/img37/2043/trailerbyhighway.jpg

Some of the amazing people who helped me get it off highway and get underway again.

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/922/villageao.jpg

Ok, WOW. Just about my worst nightmare. So glad it turned out OK!!!!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Cook View Post
    I would say I'm a HUGE Jamco fan.

Jamco's do not belong the inexpensive category, however.
    Jamcos are awesome! Have you told them your story? They'd probably love to hear about it - may even use it in an ad!

The 2500 truck is big enough to pull...but maybe not enough motor.
    It's amazing how much better a diesel truck pulls.

Also, you may find that if you want a trailer for 2 horses, you may want to add a 3rd slot (with stallion wall) for storage.
    Those back tack rooms don't carry more than tack. You'll need somewhere to put all your other stuffs.

I bought a two horse LQ...
    well, not really.
    It's a 4 horse with escape door and stallion wall.
    =
    it's a 3 horse with storage space.
    except it's a average sized trailer therefore I took 1 divider out for the big horses.
    =
    it's a 2 horse with storage.

to end my post I will add that "used" ain't half bad.

If I could have anything I wanted I might get a 2+1 with LQ and mid tack.
    Or anything that offers reverse load.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I've seen some bigger horses get sticky about loading on a slant with the rear tack. In a couple of cases, they loaded happily after we unloaded the rear tack and swung the divider all the way open, to make the 'entrance' as wide as possible. Knowing that, and knowing that a rear tack usually doesn't hold that much anyway, I knew I didn't want one. If I were doing a slant with living quarters I would probably stick with a mid tack and just deal with the extra length.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    IMHO, not enough truck for a trailer with LQ.
    Right, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Check out the thread on the Jamco trailer accident in New Hampshire and she had a good truck, very good trailer, and a whole lot of protection from above.

Oh, did not see, she checked in before I posted. Worth noting the whole thread.
    "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK