The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Import won't eat any of my feed

I picked up my new 4yr Oldenburg Imported Geld yesterday from Quarantine!!! He's in good weight and condition ...got him home, he started chowing down immediately on my Timothy/orchard hay...but he won't eat anything that I've offered him-which is the following: Progressive Nutrition Pro Advantage Grass Diet Balancer Pellets-took a bite then spit it out, so I then offered him TC Senior...nope....then offered him Wet soaked Fibrebeet-which is speedy beet/alfalfa pellets combined-snorted at it...last resort I offered him Strategy...ugh...which kills me to do that bc it's such a downgrade compared to the Progressive and even TC

I was told from the people in Holland that he got a kilo of Pellets am/pm and unlimited hay

So is there any feed or pellet out there that might appeal to my new guy?!? Has anybody else run into this with new imports??

Give him time at your place. Get to know him better, try some different treats: carrots, apples, other horse treats. Then retry what you want to feed him. Feed him all the hay he wants.

Wonder what kind of pellets they gave him? Hay or a sweet feed type pellet.

Sounds exciting on your new horse though. Of course pix would be nice.

I have had horses come here and not eat anything for a week. I do have a low key place. They settled in and started to eat. Give lots of hay and or turnout.

Over the years I have found that my pickier eaters won't touch the ProAdvantage Grass Diet Balancer or the TC 30. I found the following RBs to be palatable for the picky ones: Buckeye Gro N Win, Patriot's Mare & Foal (which is Patriots version of a RB) and Purina's Nature's Essentials Enrich. Good Luck with your new guy!

What did he eat in quarantine? You could always call them and find out.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Ok...so he was fed Pavo horse feed

http://www.pavohorses.co.uk/products ...not sure which one ...other than being told it's Pellets

He eats carrots and has eaten all his hay! He will be turned out all day today ...so maybe he'll have more of an appetite when he comes in tonight?!?

If after a few days he still doesn't want any of what I feed I was considering trying any of the following: Pennfield Fibergized, Seminole Wellness senior or Compete Safe-says good for finicky eaters, Progressive Performance Formula Pellet, Buckeye Cadence Ultra-is a sweet Pellet-says very palatable? Or the Gro N Win?? I wish I could get samples

Pictures soon to come!

My picky eaters LOVE Fibergized. That may be a good one to try. I have one mare who is rather indifferent to most feeds, but goes bananas for Fibergized. I bet if you contact your local Pennfield rep, they could hook you up with a sample.

I would just give him time. Keep stuffing him with hay and let him settle. Have you given him in Ulcer Guard? He may also have an upset tummy from shipping and quarantine. The last couple of horses I had imported got a 2 week course of UG, starting the moment they walked in the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    Ok...so he was fed Pavo horse feed

http://www.pavohorses.co.uk/products ...not sure which one ...other than being told it's Pellets

He eats carrots and has eaten all his hay! He will be turned out all day today ...so maybe he'll have more of an appetite when he comes in tonight?!?

If after a few days he still doesn't want any of what I feed I was considering trying any of the following: Pennfield Fibergized, Seminole Wellness senior or Compete Safe-says good for finicky eaters, Progressive Performance Formula Pellet, Buckeye Cadence Ultra-is a sweet Pellet-says very palatable? Or the Gro N Win?? I wish I could get samples

Pictures soon to come!
    Congrats on your new boy! I'd be surprised if he refuses either Pennfields Fibregized (my picky boy loves it) or Pennfields Grand Prix Granola. Both smell faintly like apples. Will he eat a piece of apple?

Buckeye Grow N Win smells like apples as well.

If he'll eat carrots, could you grate or chop some carrots and add them to a small portion of the new feed to entice him a little?

Ok thanks for the suggestions..,I will try some Fibergized...don't have any apples...but he loves carrots so far!

I wouldn't keep trying new things....he's stressed!if he's eating hay, he's getting something, just keep at the feeds you already have, leave it in there, if he wants it, he'll eat. It's only been a day, don't stress yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    I picked up my new 4yr Oldenburg Imported Geld yesterday from Quarantine!!! He's in good weight and condition ...got him home, he started chowing down immediately on my Timothy/orchard hay...but he won't eat anything that I've offered him-which is the following: Progressive Nutrition Pro Advantage Grass Diet Balancer Pellets-took a bite then spit it out, so I then offered him TC Senior...nope....then offered him Wet soaked Fibrebeet-which is speedy beet/alfalfa pellets combined-snorted at it...last resort I offered him Strategy...ugh...which kills me to do that bc it's such a downgrade compared to the Progressive and even TC

I was told from the people in Holland that he got a kilo of Pellets am/pm and unlimited hay

So is there any feed or pellet out there that might appeal to my new guy?!? Has anybody else run into this with new imports??
    probably been fed on striaghts rather than mixed feedstuffs

so get some micronised barley rings or barley a large round scoop is about 2lb

so splite it and add yours to it, as in small little 2/3 feeds a day and graduely up your feed over a period of time could take 4-6 weeks for the transfere

do it slowly dont rush it - ps if you can get barley rings you can soak them like sugar/alpha beat they double up in size

Young horses are picky about everything sometimes. Hay won't hurt him, and he would probably eat oats--not too many horses won't--and you can introduce other feeds little by little.
    Click here before you buy.