The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny come tomorrow AM to find out it was just a rouse started by some extremist group and 6 pages of arguing later the whole world took the bait and ran with it.
    It would be 'funny', but it would also be hard to believe since the articles I've read included interviews with people who would know, Leroy Baker and Brian Moore and an unnamed Midwestern dealer/KB [C. Carter?].

Furthermore, the rescue side of Moores business is stumping to 'get these horses saved while we can, at full price still... cause he's not dickering' [paraphrase]... citing that these horses were turned back.

So unless these dealers [and their rescue partners] are in on the rouse too [begging the question 'why'], or were not interviewed after all and in fact those responses attributed to them are fiction... I think the rouse idea is unlikely... even if this took our 'in the know' Leo/Fairfax by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    It would be 'funny', but it would also be hard to believe since the articles I've read included interviews with people who would know, Leroy Baker and Brian Moore and an unnamed Midwestern dealer/KB [C. Carter?].

Furthermore, the rescue side of Moores business is stumping to 'get these horses saved while we can, at full price still... cause he's not dickering' [paraphrase]... citing that these horses were turned back.

So unless these dealers [and their rescue partners] are in on the rouse too [begging the question 'why'], or were not interviewed after all and in fact those responses attributed to them are fiction... I think the rouse idea is unlikely... even if this took our 'in the know' Leo/Fairfax by surprise.

Not that I don't believe you or that it is entirely true that EU has closed H.meat exportation from the US.

But it would not be the first time a independent organization attempted to take advantage of a chaotic situation and use it to make some $$. Just look at Gas prices , water and storm supply prices and how they are allowed to be grossly inflated any time a hurricane so much as gives this country the stink eye.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

The stories have changed. NOW the claim is the horses must reside in Canada for 3 months before slaughter and that is why the plant did not take them. Brian Moore who has hauled to Canada for years was claimed to have stated he was turned back on Saturday and that was due to CFIA. They do not have anything to do with the border..they ONLY inspect.

AND why would someone who KNOWS the hours the vets work..Mon-Fri 8-4 as they are FEDERAL EMPLOYEES...not Provindial..try take a load through on Saturday.

The response was the border is corrupt and anyone can sneak through it. NOPE...doesn't work that way...

I am sure any announcements will be made on Monday..but there are numerous reasons THAT plant in Quebec was not accepting horses...but to read claims that buyers in Washington state did not purchase due to the Quebec plant closing (2470 miles away) is ridiculous.

However, anything is possible under the Obama administration with their tight involvement with HSUS. Who knows..maybe Americans do know more about Canada than we do...(pure sarcasm intended)

Strange however that NBC, FOX, ABC etc are NOT reporting the story in the states. All that is happening is the same story is recycled over and over and over.

What I find strange is: Not all slaughtered horses go to EU. The Quebec plant also ships to Asia. They also render.

The stories have come from Americans and they comment about how Canada closed its borders..then when that was rejected (not true), then the story evolved to border agents were telling truckers to turn around as ALL the plants were closed in Canada...when that was proven to be untrue...then details started to change.

Many Americans have no clue about Canada..how things work...our connections with the EU and the Commonwealth etc. The fact that stories have the same theme that CFIA stopped the trucks is downright incorrect. NOT their mandate and they would not work at the border for LIVE animals.

These stories are ALL comming from Angels rescue which has expanded to Habitat but they ALL have a common theme. DONATIONS.

Question for you Angela. Here is the time line. Truck turned back on Thursday/Friday and the stories start. SALES ARE CANCELLED according to the rescues. New Holland burns to the ground..horses at risk...whoops..it was a machine shed..IF the sales were cancelled as claimed..where did the truckers get these NEW LOADS OF HORSES? If the border and plants are now closed..why are the meat brokers who claim to have purchased these animals at non existent sales not adopting them out for their price...they have NO expenses in them as they have not shipped them...NOPE...they have, in some cases RAISED their prices.

Monday will tell the whole story...I look at it as a win win either way. IF the plants are now going to refuse US horses..the anti slaughter groups will have to find homes for the 35-40,000 horses that are shipped to Canada alone and almost the same number going to Mexico.

If the plants are taking horses and six months is required..they will just move the feeder horses from the feedlots and replace them with the new stock who will wait for six months.

I think this is going to expose the under belly of the rescue anti slaughter groups...it ain't gonna be pretty.

When did NBC, FOX, ABC etc make horse slaughter their prime news items?

And what makes horses residing in Canada for 3 months better than the ones from the US. I thought the drug withdrawal time required was 6 months... I always questioned the one day trip along the East coast to Viande Richelieu with slaughter the next day... when it was mostly TBs ie race horses with of course, NO drugs in their system for ??? months? I say it does not matter how many months the horses are in Canada... I don't believe anything is enforced here either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

These stories are ALL comming from Angels rescue which has expanded to Habitat but they ALL have a common theme. DONATIONS....
    SALES ARE CANCELLED according to the rescues....
    Uh no, these are not rescues that were quoted:

http://www.drf.com/news/canada-stops...ook-like%22%7D

'Baker said he first heard about the slaughterhouses’ closure to U.S. horses at 6 a.m. Friday morning and said the news took him by surprise. He said he called some horse sellers he knew and told them not to bother bringing their horses to Sugarcreek.

For your information, since it appears you think Leroy Baker is a rescue... Leroy Baker runs a sale, Sugarcreek, where horses are run through and bought for slaughter.

'In Davenport, Wash., the Stockland Livestock Auction canceled its Oct. 13 horse sale, saying on its website that “Stockland has just become aware of a possible situation regarding horse exports [as of 10/12/12]. We have reached out to numerous experts and traders in the business and as a result and due to the uncertainty surrounding the information we have so far we have decided to cancel the horse sale. We hope to reschedule later this fall or early in 2013.”'

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess, since I've never been there personally, that Stockland Livestock Auction [and their website] is not a rescue either.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bl...use-us-horses/

'This was further confirmed by a Richelieu slaughter house official. An unconfirmed report from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) indicated it was the result of a European Union (EU) directive.'

Ray Paulick is also not a rescue.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Oct. 14, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    When did NBC, FOX, ABC etc make horse slaughter their prime news items?

And what makes horses residing in Canada for 3 months better than the ones from the US. I thought the drug withdrawal time required was 6 months... I always questioned the one day trip along the East coast to Viande Richelieu with slaughter the next day... when it was mostly TBs ie race horses with of course, NO drugs in their system for ??? months? I say it does not matter how many months the horses are in Canada... I don't believe anything is enforced here either.
    Bute has a zero withdrawal iirc, as in it's never outta' there and no horse who's had even one can be slaughtered for human consumption. I have not looked at the list in a long time but I am sure there are some drugs that clear in 3 months so for those horses who've had those drugs that holding works.
    There are other drugs that take 6 months while there are many that never do clear. So I agree with you, this 3 months holding things is bologna.

Monday will tell the whole story...I look at it as a win win either way. IF the plants are now going to refuse US horses..the anti slaughter groups will have to find homes for the 35-40,000 horses that are shipped to Canada alone and almost the same number going to Mexico.
    And there you have it folks. Someone on the pro side (who also happens to breed horses) admitting that even if slaughter were no longer an option, he would not put any effort in helping come up with an alternative.

Nice.

I'm not sure why one would want to proudly proclaim: "There is only one answer to the excess horse problem and it is slaughter!" Please do us all a favor and keep your narrow minded thinking in Canada where it belongs. Oh, and take your buddy David Duquette with you.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Whether you like them or not, the HSUS has a record of mismanaging funds and supplies in rescues.
    There is enough out there to show that, don't need to take my word.
    I know from the people that were at the site, in the hurricane rescue efforts.
    The HSUS used those for their donation drives and raked in so much more money in a short time ... for their general coffers, already overflowing and used to lobby against animal ownership.
    Fine, that is what they do, more power to them.

Nevertheless, if they want to "help" here and some of you want to welcome them, why not.
    Maybe they have learned to keep a bit tighter ship from the previous controversies about their less than stellar help efforts.

As for some bringing up the HSUS and then wanting anyone else to stay quiet about them, I don't think this is that kind of forum, where you can ban anyone that has inconvenient facts and questions you may not like.
    Thankfully, COTH is not a rescue or animal rights extremist groups only web site.
    There are some internet places that still operate under free speech, as long as it abides by the rules already posted.
    Hey, Bluey? Eat your own horses. Go on. No problem! I'll even send you a case of Worcestershire sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    Hey, Bluey? Eat your own horses. Go on. No problem! I'll even send you a case of Worcestershire sauce.
    I guess I did step on your toes at some time and you can't let go, right?
    Hey, leave the personal stuff off, stalking is not acceptable here.
    There is no other reason for that post of yours.

The stories have changed. NOW the claim is the horses must reside in Canada for 3 months before slaughter and that is why the plant did not take them. Brian Moore who has hauled to Canada for years was claimed to have stated he was turned back on Saturday and that was due to CFIA. They do not have anything to do with the border..they ONLY inspect.

AND why would someone who KNOWS the hours the vets work..Mon-Fri 8-4 as they are FEDERAL EMPLOYEES...not Provindial..try take a load through on Saturday.

The response was the border is corrupt and anyone can sneak through it. NOPE...doesn't work that way...

I am sure any announcements will be made on Monday..but there are numerous reasons THAT plant in Quebec was not accepting horses...but to read claims that buyers in Washington state did not purchase due to the Quebec plant closing (2470 miles away) is ridiculous.

However, anything is possible under the Obama administration with their tight involvement with HSUS. Who knows..maybe Americans do know more about Canada than we do...(pure sarcasm intended)

Strange however that NBC, FOX, ABC etc are NOT reporting the story in the states. All that is happening is the same story is recycled over and over and over.

What I find strange is: Not all slaughtered horses go to EU. The Quebec plant also ships to Asia. They also render.

The stories have come from Americans and they comment about how Canada closed its borders..then when that was rejected (not true), then the story evolved to border agents were telling truckers to turn around as ALL the plants were closed in Canada...when that was proven to be untrue...then details started to change.

Many Americans have no clue about Canada..how things work...our connections with the EU and the Commonwealth etc. The fact that stories have the same theme that CFIA stopped the trucks is downright incorrect. NOT their mandate and they would not work at the border for LIVE animals.

These stories are ALL comming from Angels rescue which has expanded to Habitat but they ALL have a common theme. DONATIONS.

Question for you Angela. Here is the time line. Truck turned back on Thursday/Friday and the stories start. SALES ARE CANCELLED according to the rescues. New Holland burns to the ground..horses at risk...whoops..it was a machine shed..IF the sales were cancelled as claimed..where did the truckers get these NEW LOADS OF HORSES? If the border and plants are now closed..why are the meat brokers who claim to have purchased these animals at non existent sales not adopting them out for their price...they have NO expenses in them as they have not shipped them...NOPE...they have, in some cases RAISED their prices.

If the plants are taking horses and six months is required..they will just move the feeder horses from the feedlots and replace them with the new stock who will wait for six months.

I think this is going to expose the under belly of the rescue anti slaughter groups...it ain't gonna be pretty.
    All that will happen is people will no longer have a motivation to put unusable, unsaleable horses into auctions. Instead, they'll have to take personal responsibility for the horses they own--feeding, care, euthanasia for the ones no longer viable. Gee whiz, ya think, just like the OTHER 98% of horse owners across these wide United States have always done!

A few scrabble-assed midnight cowboys will have to haul a different load, and there should be a lot fewer "rescue" cases within a couple of years after the excess breeding stops. A few changes on the race tracks (the drugging, overpriced claiming) could also cut the numbers by thousands. I completely don't buy it that the country will be overrun by large numbers of neglected horses--the numbers simply don't support that. And where an opportunity exists, a business will spring up--maybe some of the ex-killer-buyers would like to start a rendering business? They'd probably make more money!

Quote Originally Posted by JackieB12003 View Post
    Although the abruptness of this development is surprising, the fact that the EU is apparently finally taking action on the issue of tainted horse meat is not. When I began seriously researching the issue of horse slaughter, I was shocked to find that there was virtually no enforcement of regulations designed to ensure that horse meat is safe for human consumption.

As I learned more, I also realized that the market for US horses to go to slaughter isn't large enough to make even a modest impact on the horse overpopulation problem. We send just over 1% of US horses to slaughter (and that's all the plants will accept) and the market was not showing signs of growing even before this latest development. It's not enough to make a difference.

Unfortunately, the prospect of slaughter still provides uninformed individuals with the illusion that slaughter is a viable option for a horse that they don't want, and that diverts attention away from the real problem which is irresponsible breeding.

Finally, and most importantly for the horses that we value so highly, horse slaughter is inhumane and cannot be made humane due to the speed at which the slaughter process has to move for the plant to make money. As we all know, horses are hyper-sensitive flight animals and they are not suited for this process at all. As a result, they suffer terribly as we have all seen in undercover footage.
    Your information is not verified by CANADIAN stats that claim 35,-40000 per year and what do you mean..that is all the plants will accept. Where did that tidbit come from?

Obviously you have NEVER been to any of the four Canadian slaughter plants with their new movement chutes that are higher, secure and your old abuse story REEKS of HSUS propoganda AGAIN.

Your undercover videos are not from Canada and the only one produced as New was actually over 10 years old due to the verification of the employees who were pictured. And yet...RARA's such as yourself tell the same lie over and over and over waiting for it to stick.

Since July 31, 2010, equine presented for slaughter have been required to have an EID, which includes a six-month documented history showing compliant drug and vaccine use. Drugs and vaccines that have been used in the last six months must be safe for use in food producing animals and the period of time since the last use must be sufficient to clear unwanted residues. The EID was made available to the public in January 2010 to allow owners enough time to comply with the July 31, 2010 implementation date.

As well, the CFIA also has a monitoring program that takes tissue samples of slaughtered animals.

Arsenault’s comments come in response to a rumour that a one-time racehorse that had been treated with the anti-inflammatory drug phenylbutazone — better known as bute — had been sold for slaughter. But without that EID documentation no horse will be processed for human consumption, he says.

There are just four slaughter facilities for horses throughout Canada, all of them in western Canada or Quebec

READ THE DATE OF THIS NEWS RELEASE:

CFIA Recall Recalled Viande Richelieu horse meat contains drugs
    This was a recall issued by the CFIA in October 25, 2011.

THAT IS HOW IT IS DONE...not via some rescue group..

It is "rumoured" that all of this was started by the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition in yet another attempt to get the industry to shut down.

The Agency has a monitoring program to randomly test meat based on international scientific standards as outlined by the United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization. The testing is conducted at a frequency to detect trends in drug use violations.
    In addition to randomly sampling horse meat for chemical residues, the CFIA conducts targeted testing based on clinical observation of animals, before stunning and slaughter.
    Since 2002, the CFIA has been regularly testing horse meat for phenylbutazone. Results show a very high compliance rate for phenylbutazone residues. Canada’s equipment and testing methods are among the most sensitive in the world and currently allow us to detect chemical residues in food at the level of parts per trillion.
    Competent government authorities from Japan and Europe have audited and approved those Canadian horse slaughter facilities and the inspection and company food safety systems under which the horse meat is produced. They too monitor Canadian horse meat for residues. Canada would be quickly informed if any food safety issues were identified by these importing countries.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    And there you have it folks. Someone on the pro side (who also happens to breed horses) admitting that even if slaughter were no longer an option, he would not put any effort in helping come up with an alternative.

Nice.

I'm not sure why one would want to proudly proclaim: "There is only one answer to the excess horse problem and it is slaughter!" Please do us all a favor and keep your narrow minded thinking in Canada where it belongs. Oh, and take your buddy David Duquette with you.
    I have come up with alternatives including hay banks and established many of them. And you have done???????

I have ALWAYS STATED Slaughter AS AN OPTION

But then, as an animal RIGHTS person who believes horses should be called companion animals so they can not be eaten...you already know that...but you keep telling the same lies over and over and over just hoping they will stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Uh no, these are not rescues that were quoted:

'Baker said he first heard about the slaughterhouses’ closure to U.S. horses at 6 a.m. Friday morning and said the news took him by surprise. He said he called some horse sellers he knew and told them not to bother bringing their horses to Sugarcreek.

For your information, since it appears you think Leroy Baker is a rescue... Leroy Baker runs a sale, Sugarcreek, where horses are run through and bought for slaughter.

'In Davenport, Wash., the Stockland Livestock Auction canceled its Oct. 13 horse sale, saying on its website that “Stockland has just become aware of a possible situation regarding horse exports [as of 10/12/12]. We have reached out to numerous experts and traders in the business and as a result and due to the uncertainty surrounding the information we have so far we have decided to cancel the horse sale. We hope to reschedule later this fall or early in 2013.”'

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess, since I've never been there personally, that Stockland Livestock Auction [and their website] is not a rescue either.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bl...use-us-horses/

'This was further confirmed by a Richelieu slaughter house official. An unconfirmed report from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) indicated it was the result of a European Union (EU) directive.'

Ray Paulick is also not a rescue.
    At six am>>>>>????? From whom did he hear?

IF it was truly happening and the "unconfirmed CFIA" report made that statement...they would have made it Nationally here in Canada...at the very least and since this information was supposed to be at 6 am they would have had a lot of time to post it on their web site AND NOTIFY ALL BROKERAGE HOUSES and all border agents...Those didn't occur

Why is there NOTHING about this on any EU site. Why is this the FIRST TIME, then, they have taken action with absolutely NO PRESS RELEASE...they have NEVER done that in the past. Because of the makeup of the EU they MUST RATIFY IT with a MAJORITY OF THE MEMBERS OF THE EU.

The ORIGINAL announcement was made by a RESCUE. Since then it has taken on a life of its own...

Back to my question....since the sales were cancelled where did these meat buyer brokers come up with all of the horses now claimed to be in the pipeline and stranded on trucks.

I have posted requests for stalls, pastures, 5-10$ donations, feed ... grain...etc.

Stockland has just become aware of a possible situation regarding horse exports [as of 10/12/12]. We have reached out to numerous experts and traders in the business and as a result and due to the uncertainty surrounding the information we have so far [b] we have decided to cancel the horse sale

It is ALL BASED ON RUMOUR...

Maybe there will be a profound announcement on Monday by CFIA. Maybe they didn't bother to make it public AS NO HORSES ARE ALLOWED INTO CANADA ON A SATURDAY OR SUNDAY (slaughter horses that is) which makes Mr. Moores statment a STORY..he claims he was turned back on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Vicky, I was the one posting the e-mail and making that statement.
    Yes, EWA stated that they are not accepting any donations regarding this efffort.

"Jerry will set-up a separate fund that will go through his accountant. Only the accountant will release funds to pay for any horses, supplies, etc."

The above implies there will be fundraising.

In the meantime others are planning the same, whether legitimately or not needs to be determined by those who are being asked to support the effort.

As an example:

https://www.wepay.com/donations/1824...28854223929240
    Of course, there will be fundraising at some point. While I'm sure we'll see vets volunteering and hands on the ground, there will be supplies, hay, paperwork on the horses, etc. that will have to be secured. Right now, no one knows what we're dealing with. I used Jerry as an example because he will be using an accountant to manage the funds and suggested that when we start pulling horses, people check out who is asking very carefully. This is a scammers dream come true. One person was soliciting and all we asked was if they were a c3 and they shut down the comments and deleted all of them.

Differences aside on horse slaughter, don't you think we should all work together with the focus on the horses stuck in the pipeline?

We (collective we) are currently getting counts from across the country and once we have that, we can move forward to give these horses a second chance.

396 people so far have liked the above wepay link and they have a list of donors. It is taking on a life of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    I guess the Nobel Prize that was given to the EU is for creating the gravest crisis in human history and starving people, or creating the conditions to light the flames of riots for desperate people (as has been happening in Greece), might be a little more of the agenda of this "rumor" that may not be a rumor.
    Dude! This ain't the worst crisis in human history... nor is Europe never at the center of those (for most of us in Western Culture).... Bubonic Plague, Cholera outbreaks and whatnot. For better and for worse, Western Europe is always in the center of things.

Back OT.

Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    Of course, there will be fundraising at some point. While I'm sure we'll see vets volunteering and hands on the ground, there will be supplies, hay, paperwork on the horses, etc. that will have to be secured. Right now, no one knows what we're dealing with. I used Jerry as an example because he will be using an accountant to manage the funds and suggested that when we start pulling horses, people check out who is asking very carefully. This is a scammers dream come true. One person was soliciting and all we asked was if they were a c3 and they shut down the comments and deleted all of them.

Differences aside on horse slaughter, don't you think we should all work together with the focus on the horses stuck in the pipeline?

We (collective we) are currently getting counts from across the country and once we have that, we can move forward to give these horses a second chance.

Well.... you can't have it both ways, saying "No one has asked for money" and then "fundraising will start sooner or later" and also, "at least this guy is keeping a set of books about it because it's a scammer's wetdream." But then, "can't we focus on the horses in the pipeline"?

That's exactly the logic that AC4H and others in bed with KBs have used: "Can't fix the large problem... can fix if for one star fish....and yes, sometimes we need to co-mingle funds and interests with (ourselves) and KB's."

I don't know or care whether or not you are a scammer. Truly. I give you the benefit of the doubt. But it does chap my hide when people aren't consistent in their logic or argument while imploring me to part with some money.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

IF it was truly happening and the "unconfirmed CFIA" report made that statement...they would have made it Nationally here in Canada...at the very least and since this information was supposed to be at 6 am they would have had a lot of time to post it on their web site AND NOTIFY ALL BROKERAGE HOUSES and all border agents...Those didn't occur

Why is there NOTHING about this on any EU site. Why is this the FIRST TIME, then, they have taken action with absolutely NO PRESS RELEASE...they have NEVER done that in the past. Because of the makeup of the EU they MUST RATIFY IT with a MAJORITY OF THE MEMBERS OF THE EU.

The ORIGINAL announcement was made by a RESCUE. Since then it has taken on a life of its own...

Back to my question....since the sales were cancelled where did these meat buyer brokers come up with all of the horses now claimed to be in the pipeline and stranded on trucks.

I have posted requests for stalls, pastures, 5-10$ donations, feed ... grain...etc.

Stockland has just become aware of a possible situation regarding horse exports [as of 10/12/12]. We have reached out to numerous experts and traders in the business and as a result and due to the uncertainty surrounding the information we have so far [b] we have decided to cancel the horse sale

Maybe there will be a profound announcement on Monday by CFIA. Maybe they didn't bother to make it public AS NO HORSES ARE ALLOWED INTO CANADA ON A SATURDAY OR SUNDAY (slaughter horses that is) which makes Mr. Moores statment a STORY..he claims he was turned back on Saturday.
    According to the EU they'll be issuing a statement on Monday. BTW-Canada knows about this. We are working with groups in Canada and they secured the info from their source at the CFIA that it was an EU directive. The CFIA is never quick to provide info - just like our USDA. They play dumb until they can't any longer. PR newswire Canada also picked it up. Perhaps you could contact that weasel desBarres and get a statement from him. He's gone dark. Or better yet, contact the queen of slaughter, Sue Wallis or her sidekick, Dave Duquette. I'm sure they would welcome another supporter.

You sound like Duquette. After we issued the press release he said it was one auction and "no big deal". Of course, no one challenged him. And since then, he's done a 180.

Rumor? There is confirmation across the country from auctions and KBs. Richelieu, one of the plants, confirmed it to us. The EU is refusing shipments from Canada. If it's all rumor, someone should be commended for such an elaborate hoax. I wonder how they got the KBs to stop hauling and auctions to shut down. That must have been a huge price tag....

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Gotta take a little issue here.

I used to buy the orphan foals from mares who went to slaughter (one foal turned out to be a whalloping good jumper for my daughter). I watched them in the pens leading up to the kill stall and not once did I see horses in an excited state. It was horse goes in, door comes down, door goes up, horse goes in, door goes down and on and on. Of course, they weren't stabbing them either. ETA: I remember quite a few stud horses and also, most horses were standing around waiting 'their turn' and had a hind leg cocked, looked like they were snoozing in a pasture.

Then, once, after I had paid for some orphans, I walked through the wrong door into the kill chamber and saw the bodies hanging and the kill stall on the other end. Still no 'theatrics' (a bad word to use but can't think of better at the moment) from the live horses in the stall or on the outside.

If a horse was in an excited state, it was out in the huge corrals where the *(#&%*$ hired help would run the horses around instead of being quiet and calm. One little orphan got ran over by a bunch of big horses and I couldn't get to him/her. The guy said it was good for the colt, teach him a lesson not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. ????

This was decades ago, but, still, even back then, the horses were pretty calm, calmer than you see horses at a horse show.
    I get your point, and I am glad you went to buy those orphans, but that is a horrific story tbh. I can only think of the waste of those nice mares and the callousness of people who would send a mare and foal to the kill pen. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Watching Fairfax meltdown... <munching popcorn - anybody like some?>

Note all the CAPS for added EMPHASIS --
    (just so you all know he's *really* serious this time.)

I am not sure how to do a "market analysis" on this no USA horses allowed in those markets. Hmmm, thinking, thinking. My accounting brain is going. . . .

I see more horses on the market, therefore, prices of horses will go down further due to the abundance of horses.

Maybe this will get the back yard yoo hoo's from breeding their horses. Nope, doubt it.

I do see an increase in the market of deceased horses and mfg's, and vets will make $. Due to the fact the vet's will be euthing more horses. More supply on the market, so the supply / demand curve will be effected. Demand low, supply high, prices go down.

Horses to suffer.

jmo.