The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Geez, Fairfax, you sound like you're frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog. Like at least several of us said before, if not now, then in the near future this non-identification system is going to backfire on the EU and they are going to be caught with their pants around their ankles.

The report from Mexico had some pretty damning stuff about the number of horses not corresponding to the paperwork supplied with them, the Mexican side not being allowed to trace any of the paperwork north of the border, the widespread lack of any way to verify any of the paperwork. Plus the reports from France of finding enough samples of horsemeat with bute to hit the news wires.

When the plants shut down in the U.S. not too much information leaked out. There were rumors about plants being built in Mexico, but nothing terribly concrete. Then bam, they are were out of the U.S. and running plants in Mexico and Saskatchewan without a peep being said.

A large percentage of the sale horses at New Holland head north for a one-way trip to Canada. It will be interesting to see what happens on Monday.

So how is AC4H going to move horses if they can't advertise that the kill truck is coming?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

but Fairfax, why would Brian Moore go through on a Sunday because the vets are not working unless he has done it before???
    And frankly, who puts any faith in anything the CFIA says these days... XL? I think they lost much credibility...

and you really sound like you are in a panic... are you going to lose money on this?

and the horses are SEEN by the vets at the border?? you have to be kidding... have you read the AA report from a couple of years ago when they followed the trucks... the vet did not even come outside the building... let alone inspect/see the horses!!

and they sprung that on the government? more like on the s/h and their owners. The government only "inspects", but does not have anything to do with the running/purchasing/sending of the products... I am sure lots of things happen on Fridays rather than Mondays...

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Geez, Fairfax, you sound like you're frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog. Like at least several of us said before, if not now, then in the near future this non-identification system is going to backfire on the EU and they are going to be caught with their pants around their ankles.

The report from Mexico had some pretty damning stuff about the number of horses not corresponding to the paperwork supplied with them, the Mexican side not being allowed to trace any of the paperwork north of the border, the widespread lack of any way to verify any of the paperwork. Plus the reports from France of finding enough samples of horsemeat with bute to hit the news wires.

When the plants shut down in the U.S. not too much information leaked out. There were rumors about plants being built in Mexico, but nothing terribly concrete. Then bam, they are were out of the U.S. and running plants in Mexico and Saskatchewan without a peep being said.

A large percentage of the sale horses at New Holland head north for a one-way trip to Canada. It will be interesting to see what happens on Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    but Fairfax, why would Brian Moore go through on a Sunday because the vets are not working unless he has done it before???
    And frankly, who puts any faith in anything the CFIA says these days... XL? I think they lost much credibility...

and you really sound like you are in a panic... are you going to lose money on this?

and the horses are SEEN by the vets at the border?? you have to be kidding... have you read the AA report from a couple of years ago when they followed the trucks... the vet did not even come outside the building... let alone inspect/see the horses!!

and they sprung that on the government? more like on the s/h and their owners. The government only "inspects", but does not have anything to do with the running/purchasing/sending of the products... I am sure lots of things happen on Fridays rather than Mondays...

Sure, all of you know so much more than someone right there and that has been regularly in the plants, right.

Oh, of course, because you are getting all your stories from, drum roll, animal rights extremist web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post

and what credibility is lost with Canadian Food Inspection Agency //// there is the Excell closure however that appears to be a major issue as they just announced they have closed the plant and 6000 workers will be out of work.

CFIA is NOT the border. They are the governing body for Food Inspection. They have there reps for all chicken kills for KFC..they inspect salads for e coli etc.

I sure find it fun to read the comments about Canada made by many Americans who have never even been there..Had information passed to me that a Canadian had proof of the closure...WHOOPS..she owns an anti slaughter rescue and is asking for funds

I have no idea why Brian Moore would try and go through when there are NO VETS at the border (they are NOT involved with CFIA

Those claims against the vets were made and I am sure there was an element of truth. That is NOT the case today..All trucks MUST have the numbers verified and if the vet just signed off on the trailer for 28 horses and the plant signed an acceptance of 34...The vet would be removed...no collusion as the plant reports their numbers to a different agency.

The role of a CFIA vet is to be on site when ever there is a kill. There is no fewer than one depending on the volume and numbers It is there job to inspect the food or product AT THE POINT OF KILL. They have nothing to do with the live animal.

The Vets at the border are the ones who, upon inspection, seal the truck load after they have verified the numbers. They ONLY unload if there are problems or a horse is down or a visual problem with health is evident. Those are the feeder horses who must be killed within 96 hours.

The vets do NOT inspect food products destined for export...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Sure, all of you know so much more than someone right there and that has been regularly in the plants, right.
    Dear Bluey;

Fairfax has to carry an extinguisher with him everywhere he goes to put out his pants that spontaneously burst into flames pretty much every time he opens his mouth.

Here is some information . When Mad Cow disease hit Alberta ALL Canadian Beef was banned by EU and many Asian countries. They did NOT ban American nor Mexican beef

If Mexico is at fault, they would be banned but it would NOT stretch onto Canada.

Here is from a website:

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency told Postmedia News in an email it has "zero tolerance" for phenylbutazone. It said there are daily inspections in four federally registered meat establishments and random tests for chemical residues before the stunning and slaughter of horses.

There are also veterinarians and trained inspectors in each horse slaughterhouse to identify animals that may have been treated with phenylbutazone, it said.

Results show a more than 99 per cent compliance rate with phenylbutazone residues since the federal agency began regular testing in 2002, the agency said.

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    Dear Bluey;

Fairfax has to carry an extinguisher with him everywhere he goes to put out his pants that spontaneously burst into flames pretty much every time he opens his mouth.
    Thats almost as funny as Americans who have never even been to Canada trying to tell me about the functions of government agencies and who goes where.

The poster didn't even know that CFIA doesn't work the border.

But then I had a lady from Texas insist our Prime Minister was a member of the Muslim Brotherhood and she stated we were all communists who prayed to Allah...

She insisted she knew more about Canada

What I find strange..again..ALL of this information came from a RESCUE GROUP...and everyone has recycled and recycled and made up stories to add onto the fire but it is the same WRONG story.

Now..on Monday...it will either be put to rest...OR U.S.A. will be in deep doodoo as it will have a lot of horses the rescues will be stuck with.

What I enjoy about Aber et al...they have NEVER volunteered to observe at a slaughter plant but THEY are the authorities based on decades old videos.

I find them comic relief...they never say anything of value that could be wrong as they stand for nothing...

Okay, Fairfax. Here's a really simple question.

To your knowledge, did/does Bouvry routinely slaughter tattooed TBs or SBs for human consumption?

Daily Racing Form has some info as well:

http://www.drf.com/news/canada-stops...ook-like%22%7D

'Baker said he first heard about the slaughterhouses’ closure to U.S. horses at 6 a.m. Friday morning and said the news took him by surprise. He said he called some horse sellers he knew and told them not to bother bringing their horses to Sugarcreek.

In Davenport, Wash., the Stockland Livestock Auction canceled its Oct. 13 horse sale, saying on its website that “Stockland has just become aware of a possible situation regarding horse exports [as of 10/12/12]. We have reached out to numerous experts and traders in the business and as a result and due to the uncertainty surrounding the information we have so far we have decided to cancel the horse sale. We hope to reschedule later this fall or early in 2013.”

Of course Leroy Baker, Brian Moore and others who are waist deep in this industry don't know what they're talking about right? They're making this up, cause Leo/Fairfax would have heard from his super seekrit informants if this was coming down the pike?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    So how is AC4H going to move horses if they can't advertise that the kill truck is coming?
    Good question. I get the impression they are trying to make the most off what they presently have waiting to be 'saved'... and who knows? I'm guessing Omaha Steaks is going to feel the pinch though!

Why is the pro slaughter side saying that all of those horses in the pipeline and on feedlots are going to be starved or dumped? Any pro slaughter posters want to answer that? The horses have owners (KB/Dealers/SH). It's illegal to neglect/dump horses.

Aren't these the same "businessmen" that we have routinely been assured by the pro slaughter side, that are horsemen that have the horse's welfare in mind? And we are repeatedly told that they are engaged in a legal business, and abide by the law? And that incidents of abuse and neglect are so rare or set up by RARAs, to be inconsequential?

So pro slaughter people...why are you now saying all of these horses on feedlots/owned by killer buyers/dealers in jeopardy?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Yup
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/AC4H-B...ref=ts&fref=ts

Horses can't ship to slaughter but the broker won't dicker on price... cause he'd rather feed these horses he's stuck with for days or weeks rather than get them off his lot fast? LOL no, let's not discuss his lowering his prices!

Might be the last paycheck they see for a while, they better make it a good one!
    From your mouth to God's ears...It's not going to be good for Christy's business model.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Then there must be some truth to this whole thing.

Again, how will slaughter in the U.S. have anything to do with the inability to trace drug histories in horses?

The only surefire way to do this is raise them specifically for the purpose.
    If you go to the "Controversy" section of The Chronicle online, and look up the series of 4 articles they ran through August of 2011, this issue was addressed and this exact outcome predicted. I've been anticipating it for some time, and would be over the moon with joy if it's true!

Why? Because a gunshot and a hole in the ground, or even bones bleaching under a coyote-howling moon, are a far better end for any horse than this Nazi-like chain of horror that serves no one but this industry's most repellent bottom feeders. I've been seeing who's doing what since I was 13 years old (beaucoup long time ago!) and, like the Japanese still whaling, there is NO. LEGITIMATE. need for this industry to continue. It is inhumane from the get-go and it is economically UNNECESSARY. I would even argue that its very existence actively promotes the continued breeding of inherently unsound, unusable stock and "one-trick ponies."

To the Dustbin of History, say I!

Dont' bring the whales into this. Japanese eat whales and pretty much anything else in the sea. Why should they be told what they can and can't eat when they've been doing it for 5000 years?

At least the whales aren't full of a bunch of stuff labeled: Not for horses intended for consumption.

I don't understand how it's gone on this long. If people really want horse meat that's not contaminated with stuff, better start raising them for food and not taking what was once a pet.

I also agree that it should be done humanely if at all. I'm not for it, but it if has to be done, at least do it in the least stressful way.

Like Kobe beef. From Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    The vet is coming! The vet is coming!!!!! Come on, folks! Don't let this sweet soul be shoved over the Rainbow Bridge before his time! The only way we can save him from THE NEEDLE is to pay his bail before the vet shows up...
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Better re-read that. NO fundraising has started.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    If you go to the "Controversy" section of The Chronicle online, and look up the series of 4 articles they ran through August of 2011, this issue was addressed and this exact outcome predicted. I've been anticipating it for some time, and would be over the moon with joy if it's true!

Why? Because a gunshot and a hole in the ground, or even bones bleaching under a coyote-howling moon, are a far better end for any horse than this Nazi-like chain of horror that serves no one but this industry's most repellent bottom feeders. I've been seeing who's doing what since I was 13 years old (beaucoup long time ago!) and, like the Japanese still whaling, there is NO. LEGITIMATE. need for this industry to continue. It is inhumane from the get-go and it is economically UNNECESSARY. I would even argue that its very existence actively promotes the continued breeding of inherently unsound, unusable stock and "one-trick ponies."

To the Dustbin of History, say I!
    Agreed!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief