The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Yup
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/AC4H-B...ref=ts&fref=ts

Horses can't ship to slaughter but the broker won't dicker on price... cause he'd rather feed these horses he's stuck with for days or weeks rather than get them off his lot fast? LOL no, let's not discuss his lowering his prices!

Might be the last paycheck they see for a while, they better make it a good one!

Zakkandtoto, I totally agree with you-------folks can pick up a 2nd or even 3rd p/t job in order to feed their animals. I run the barn during the day and I work for 4 catering/event companies at night. There are p/t jobs out there that are not rocket science for folks if they will get off their asses and just take one.

BTW, you all see that the New Holland hay barn has burned down today?????????? I think the timing is bizarre. Close the border yesterday and the barn burns today. Wonder what Lil'Tex (Dorian Ayache) here in Nashville TN is going to do with the horses he may have gathered up now to ship (yea, I know he was "shut down" by the Feds but where there's a will, there's a way)

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    BTW, you all see that the New Holland hay barn has burned down today?????????? I think the timing is bizarre. Close the border yesterday and the barn burns today. Wonder what Lil'Tex (Dorian Ayache) here in Nashville TN is going to do with the horses he may have gathered up now to ship (yea, I know he was "shut down" by the Feds but where there's a will, there's a way)
    Animal rights extremists have been known to burn barns and trucks down before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Animal rights extremists have been known to burn barns and trucks down before.
    The barn did not burn down, their sawdust or hay or straw barn called the Blacksmith shop, burned.
    It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    If done by someone who knows how to do it properly, a gunshot would be a far better option than the slaughterhouse.

Personally, I'm glad that the Europeans are no longer accepting our (probably often very tainted) horse meat. The people who eat horses (although I personally find that appalling) will be safer, and people here will have to accept responsibility for their horses' lives/deaths. If you can't can't afford chemical euthanasia, find someone who can put the horse down with a gun or do it yourself--bullets are pretty inexpensive.
    Amen Frizzle.
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    The barn did not burn down, their sawdust or hay or straw barn called the Blacksmith shop, burned.
    It happens.
    Yes, barns burn down, that happens.
    It is also true animal rights extremists have burned barns and trucks down, so not really out of the realm of the possible, any time one of their targets has something burning down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Yes, barns burn down, that happens.
    It is also true animal rights extremists have burned barns and trucks down, so not really out of the realm of the possible, any time one of their targets has something burning down.
    It did not burn 'down'
    Last I heard it was smoking, nothing burning down.

And while some extremist have set labs and whatnot on fire, it is far more common for a fire in a building housing combustibles [like hay] to not be related to 'RaRas' in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    For someone who is convinced this is a hoax you sure are frantically posting an awful lot, and in a tone that doesn't jive with 'this is a hoax'.

What's the matter, Emperor caught with his clothes off, finally?
    No..I truly don't understand it. That is why I said....I will have to wait until Monday to hear from the border vet..they have the last word.

It doesn't make any sense. Why would the top brokerage firm on the border NOT know anything about it and they are processing trucks with horses for entry Monday.

One news media announcing it ...doesn't surprise me..but there is NOTHING..not on CFIA website...nothing on any Canadian website and the Major news medias in Canada...CTV, CBC and Global have heard NOTHING about it. When Mad Cow disease was rumoured it hit everywhere..

CFIA is already in Alberta on the eccoliwith Excell Foods in Brooks Alberta...IF this had anything to do as has been presented they would have a news conference.

There is nothing on EU websites for France, Belgium. Netherlands..If it was a major case THEY would have posed it.

Things like this don't just pop out of no where. Of course there is the EID but that was posted with no updates last July ...

I assume, due to your posts over the past while that you have no experience with any International groups...that is why this is strange. United Horsemen are quoting from a RARA website...and then they are reporting it back as found on United and therefore it must be true.

Mexico I did confirm has NO stoppage of equines going to their plants as of last night.

The rumor started on the East coast and now the rumor is about the west coast..Strange...west doesn't ship east..too
    far and too expensive with fuel costs...

Since you find it easy to take a shot at me...here is firing back at you....What is your take on all of this?

What an irresponsible, preventable situation! The EU has been telling us for months that they would begin rejecting US horse meat, but those making a quick slaughter buck just kept on business as usual. The kill buyers should have stopped buying, and the feedlots should have been empty, let alone putting horses on trucks headed for the border! So now, as horsemen and horsewomen, we need to take immediate action. Have an empty stall? An empty trailer? $5 or $10 that you can donate? Good. You can help. Truck drivers are not horsepeople and have no idea what to do with their cargo. Those horses are in immediate need of care, for their safety as well as the general public's safety. Horses on the lots need to to to homes...and many of them really are the kinds of horses we all seek. And for God's sake, STOP BREEDING MORE HORSES. Backyard breeders and irresponsible, indiscriminate breeders caused this mess, and they can be the ones to quickly bring it under control by just not breeding more. Period. And to those who say slaughter is the only answer, you should be ashamed of yourselves for being so ignorant. Don't claim to be a horseman if you don't even know the basics of horse physiology that makes slaughter immeasurably cruel and inhumane to equines, which are NOT physically the same as cattle and other livestock. There ARE humane methods to putting a horse down. Yes, they cost money and require some care. If you ARE a horseman, you accept this as your responsibility and don't dump horses, or line your pockets with their blood. Now, instead of being part of the problem, be part of the solution that is desperately needed right now.

The Canadian border is NOT closed. Horses are NOT shipped over the weekend. Vets work Government hours of 8-4.

A trucker can be turned back due to shipping infractions...

I see you have covered yourself with Dorian Ayache here is Nashville TN is going to do with the horses HE MAY HAVE not he did purchase...

Other websites with RARA's are adding to the story and quoting speaking with CIFA reps..when I ask for names...they quit posting...

Maybe the posters who are stating BROKERS have purchased these horses and are now doing the emotional blackmail...you must buy them from us or we have to turn them loose...border closed...

Now my question is...I am on the CANADIAN SIDE of the BORDER and that is the entrance to Canada to the Fort MacLeod plant..How is it the CANADIAN AGENTS have not heard about this...?????

Only a little rumor segment seems to be spinning it

Why is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by BerkshireMom View Post
    What an irresponsible, preventable situation! The EU has been telling us for months that they would begin rejecting US horse meat, but those making a quick slaughter buck just kept on business as usual. The kill buyers should have stopped buying, and the feedlots should have been empty, let alone putting horses on trucks headed for the border! So now, as horsemen and horsewomen, we need to take immediate action. Have an empty stall? An empty trailer? $5 or $10 that you can donate? Good. You can help. Truck drivers are not horsepeople and have no idea what to do with their cargo. Those horses are in immediate need of care, for their safety as well as the general public's safety. Horses on the lots need to to to homes...and many of them really are the kinds of horses we all seek. And for God's sake, STOP BREEDING MORE HORSES. Backyard breeders and irresponsible, indiscriminate breeders caused this mess, and they can be the ones to quickly bring it under control by just not breeding more. Period. And to those who say slaughter is the only answer, you should be ashamed of yourselves for being so ignorant. Don't claim to be a horseman if you don't even know the basics of horse physiology that makes slaughter immeasurably cruel and inhumane to equines, which are NOT physically the same as cattle and other livestock. There ARE humane methods to putting a horse down. Yes, they cost money and require some care. If you ARE a horseman, you accept this as your responsibility and don't dump horses, or line your pockets with their blood. Now, instead of being part of the problem, be part of the solution that is desperately needed right now.
    Please provide PROOF from the Canadian Government or the plant in Quebec that the borders are closed.

This is sounding more and more like a scam

Here we go.... STOP BREEDING...STOP BREEDING...HSUS CRY....but breeders HAVE stopped breeding ..every group is way down....

I want to ask...are you trying for the emotional BLACKMAIL....DONATE to someone I have never heard of or wear the horses BLOOD on my jeans?

How about if you tell us all ''who are you""

Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    Are their not other countries that import horsemeat from the U.S.? Are these countries going to ban U.S. horses as well?
    Interesting question and when it has been asked no one responds.

None of the Asian markets are covered by any EU agreement.

There are horses that have been in the feed lots for 6 months and THAT is all that is required by EU IF they are enforcing the EID policy of July. The industry has been preparing for that and therefore the feedlots have been established.

Fairfax, sorry you weren't advised personally and won't believe it... Brian Moore's truck was turned at the border today and he travels in the East, to Qc...
    It is the weekend, maybe the IT staff running the different websites you checked don't work on w/e.
    I will be really angry if they still take Canadian horses, because it's the same problem... they are administered drugs like the US horses!

Quote Originally Posted by BerkshireMom View Post
    Bingo, we got our first houseguest.

Are you serious, coming here and insulting everyone that has been discussing this for years as ignorant?
    Not only that, bringing animal rights extremist myths and propaganda, that has been explained time and again "it ain't so, sorry".

Learn a bit more about slaughter first, then come back to tell us about it.

Fairfax, "the border closed down" is a "generalized" statement as to what is being said to be happening. The slaughter houses are not accepting US horses is the correct terminology, yes? I was told that the hay barn burned at New Holland---to me, a fire is a fire------it was close to the horse barn, yes? The horse barn was ---fortunately---not affected from what I have heard. And I do find is "suspicious" that a barn there suddenly randomly burns down the day after horses are not accepted for slaughter. So now there are horses/animals there at New Holland with no hay, yes? Great.

This is from HABITAT:

The borders are not closed. It is the plants that are not taking horses. If the EU is not accepting shipments from Canada (we suspect Mexico as well but don't have confirmation) it stands to reason that the plants aren't going to accept horses.

While we have heard of trucks being turned-around at the border, it may be that the particular border control knew the plants weren't accepting horses and informed the hauler. Both the CFIA and POE (port of entry) told us the borders were not closed. Of course, we've been lied to before but that's what we were told.

Then THEY solicit donations and warn everyone not to be scammed

ANIMAL ANGELS AS THEIR SOURCE..you gotta be kidding

--There appears to have been no advance notice on this as the KBs and auctions (including the big 3 - New Holland, Sugarcreek and Shipshewana) we spoke to were taken by surprise by this. We suspect something happened that no one is talking about yet. For the EU to refuse shipments with no notice (unless it was ignored) it had to be something big. We could speculate but it would be hearsay and would only add to the rumors. This came a few days after the latest EU FVO report from Mexico (released by Animals' Angels) indicated the Health affidavits are not sufficient to comply with EU food safety standards. We do not know if that had anything to do with the shutdown.

But of course Habitat..will be there to take donations:

Most likely, there will be some charge to pull the horses as well as other expenses so donations will be needed. As one example, Jerry will set-up a separate fund that will go through his accountant. Only the accountant will release funds to pay for any horses, supplies, etc. We suggest anyone that becomes involved in pulling horses, set up something similar or an escrow account. That way, those donating will know their money is going to a legitimate organization and the money will be used as intended. EWA will not be accepting any donations for this. We ask that everyone work with the organizations doing the work and check them out before donating.

Here is your Habitat HSUS connection:

Jerry Finch (Habitat for Horses) reached HSUS and ASPCA last night and they are on stand-by. Our main concern right now is the horses stuck in the pipeline. We are asking our rescues to be on stand-by and those that can provide assistance should we start pulling horses - i.e. vets, supplies, trailers, etc.

Also of note is an email and facebook posts that New Holland is on fire. There was a fire but it did not impact the horses.

How is it that Robbie Den Hartog...the largest importer of meat equines into Netherlands/France does not appear to know anything about this...

France receives 24% of the horse meat from U.S. 14% from Canada and the balance from the rest of the world. And yet...no mention on any European blogs, forums...about this NEW enforcement.

AGAIN...it just does NOT work that way. The EU CAN stop imports at any time but that is BIG NEWS.

Guess we will have to wait until Monday...I hope it is just a scam....but if not...well well well...I guess this will be interesting for the Obama adminisration...what ever will they do...Tax horse owners?...I don't think even he could get a presidential order to tax the tax payers for horses..but one never knows

Fairfax, "the border closed down" is a "generalized" statement as to what is being said to be happening. The slaughter houses are not accepting US horses is the correct terminology, yes? I was told that the hay barn burned at New Holland---to me, a fire is a fire------it was close to the horse barn, yes? The horse barn was ---fortunately---not affected from what I have heard. And I do find is "suspicious" that a barn there suddenly randomly burns down the day after horses are not accepted for slaughter. So now there are horses/animals there at New Holland with no hay, yes? Great.
    This is NONSENSE....you are trying to back track it .... All of the press released stated THE CANADIAN BORDER WAS CLOSED TO SLAUGHTER AND LIKEWISE WITH MEXICO.....That has proven to be a LIE.

You can try and rewrite it as a generalization but that is what they said over and over and over. When TWO of us contacted the borders and posted that only then..one day later..did they now say...oh gosh..maybe the slaughter plants made that decision and they had been told of a ban...but then why is it no one mentioned the Quebec slaughter plant and claim they had spoken to a rep...you wanna know why...BECAUSE THEY DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH...TRY FRENCH...the receptionist has such broken English I defy anyone to get any information from her. All she could do is take my number and let me know someone will call...and that was in FRENCH.

They tried to say yesterday that the plant was in Ontario...when that was disputed..with a map..they no longer QUOTE THAT plant...

This whole situation smells...and smells and smells....Habitat is crying for donations...and conveniently this occurs...they notify HSUS who know NOTHING ABOUT IT but are on stand by...I don't even think Angela Freda could buy that one with a straight face

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Fairfax, sorry you weren't advised personally and won't believe it... Brian Moore's truck was turned at the border today and he travels in the East, to Qc...
    It is the weekend, maybe the IT staff running the different websites you checked don't work on w/e.
    I will be really angry if they still take Canadian horses, because it's the same problem... they are administered drugs like the US horses!
    And YES...it would be turned back today. The Vets who have to inspect the horses ONLY work Monday - Friday 8 - 4

The horses coming in, unless they have an INTERNATIONAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE must be seen by A Canadian Registered Vet employed by the Canadian Government.

If he truly is a "major" hauler he would know that. The paper work must be submitted and number verified. If a truck is turned back at the border BY A VET it is because the numbers are wrong, there is evidence of disease or injury in violation of transporting horses in liners.

I realize that many Americans have no knowledge of International Protocol...and I sure don't expect a shipper to understand it...but my sister is a Consulate and I can assure you that if she can not find anything on it...then it has not been presented to the Canadian Government yet. They do NOT spring things like that on any government...especially on a Friday.

I guess that I don't belive him...I live in Canada and I work closely with the border crossing...