The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 348
  1. #321
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    On Friday an "incorrectly labelled" shipment arrived in France causing the temporary shutdown of US horses accepted for import into the European Union (EU).

    The lack of complete information given to US kill buyers and auction houses led to them to believe that the shutdown was due to the new regulations pending on US horse meat. The regulations will require a "passport" system that certifies animals as drug free and in the care of the seller for at least six months. Those regulations will become enforced sometime between now and July of 2013.

    Auction yards and trucks have resumed "business as usual."




    How many crow would you like with your humble pie.

    EU was going to issue a press release? Didn't happen

    CFIA CONFIRMED...unlisted sources....? Didn't happen

    You are WORKING WITH GROUPS WHO GOT CFIA CONFIRMATION............................never happened

    And WHERE would that confirmation be?


    WOW....and you accuse me....WOW....

    A story from ONE truck driver stopped a WHOLE industry..

    WOW......turns out that plant in Quebec WAS taking shipments

    Brian Moore turned back...now people are saying he didn't try..
    I did not say the EU was issuing a press release. I said they were issuing a statement and they did this morning to the plants. Bouvry confirmed that. No, a story from one truck driver did not stop a whole industry. The EU stopped a whole industry and restarted it this morning. This matches what the source from the CFIA told our partners in Canada.

    I was trying to reply to another post of yours and when I hit submit, the screen went blank and now I can’t find the post. It was the one about where we called and what language they spoke. In response…. Two people spoke to two different people in different departments in Brussels around 4p their time and both spoke English. Another person we work with also spoke to one of the same people in Brussels and was also told the ban was lifted this morning. We’ve always had English speaking people whenever we’ve called. Some have heavy accents but we were always able to understand them.

    One of our board members spoke to Bouvry that told us they got the word from the EU this morning. The KBs said they got the word from the plants this morning which makes sense since the EU doesn't have a direct relationship with them.

    You can make whatever snide comments you want but the fact is that the EU was not accepting shipments from Canada or Mexico on Friday. This has been confirmed by slaughter supporters as well as equine advocates. No one is going to lose several days business over rumors.



  2. #322
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2012
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    And people on this board think I'm mercenary?

    Ay caramba!



  3. #323
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    If done by someone who knows how to do it properly, a gunshot would be a far better option than the slaughterhouse.

    Personally, I'm glad that the Europeans are no longer accepting our (probably often very tainted) horse meat. The people who eat horses (although I personally find that appalling) will be safer, and people here will have to accept responsibility for their horses' lives/deaths. If you can't can't afford chemical euthanasia, find someone who can put the horse down with a gun or do it yourself--bullets are pretty inexpensive.
    Well said. And while horses in urgent need of euthanasia wouldn't be slaughter candidates anyways, given how far some folks are geographically from their veterinarian in the event of an emergency, I think it's a good thing for folks to know how to do.



  4. #324
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    4,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    I second that.

    QUOTE=sunridge1;6610616]Aw...Swamp what a great post.
    Third that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Seriously, some of you here take this person seriously?
    Good Lord, I hope not.

    Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    As I recall it was stated that there was alot of confusion about this.
    In any event so what's your point???
    Don't hold your breath that there will be any groveling.
    I find it rather sad that it's more important that you be right than what was actually going to happen to the horses.
    Exactly. Had the situation been more serious, it would have been nice to see a white flag raised so that both sides could come together, but sadly, some people have an inflated sense of self importance....

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Take note! This drying up of the EU market for the US horse garbage is going to happen sooner or later. No reason for it to be a surprise next time.
    Sadly, it may well be because as long as slaughter is an option, horse people won't work together. What I find interesting is those who repeatedly post as being pro slaughter insist because it is an "option" yet won't lend support to the true options. Why not exhaust all valid options before resorting to the worst?

    Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    How are your rights being impacted? You can sell them, donate them, euthanize them, use them for work, service, etc. When slaughter ends, you will have those same rights.

    You are worried about toxic waste in the ground but have no problems with humans eating toxic meat?
    Ah, but the argument will be not EVERY horse in the slaughter system has had Bute or wormer, so eating the meat is a MUCH safer option than burial...

    And don't forget Bluey and her pals believe that if horse slaughter is banned, the RARAs will have so much power they will be able to abolish use of horses by humans in any way.

    What THEY forget is they are able to slaughter and eat their own horses any time they choose. There is no law against that.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg



  5. #325
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
    You know, I have a normal personal restriction of never posting on threads like this, and the below is exactly the reason.



    Allow me to speak for the thousands of people who are hoping both sides (to borrow from Dave Barry) will go away and whack each other with their signs and leave the rest of us alone. There are an INFINITE number of other ways than looking at horse ownership. And even these two listing are biased!

    I do not view my horses as commodified livestock valuable only as $$ signs. I also do not view them all as pets that I owe a permanent, lifetime home to. I have a couple of lifers here. They have earned their spot on that list. But I don't have the kind of ego that is certain that I'm the only one that can ever offer an appropriate care and home. Nor do I believe that every horse that crosses my path is entitled to lifer status. They have every right to try for it, but I just don't assume it's automatic. Every horse that crosses my path does deserve the very best care, training, and management I can possibly offer it for the time it is with me. And if I am going to sell or rehome one, I owe them my very best effort to make the very best match. But they aren't my dogs. And I don't want them to be. I've pulled my share out of the kill pipeline, but I pull the ones I think I can help. In other words, not the crippled or the crazy (neurotic and slightly nutty, sure, but not flat out crazy).

    But don't try to tell me that my only two choices are "horses as beef cattle" or "pretty pony petter who think they are my wittle pets". I'd guess most of us fall between those two points.
    Thank you very much, well stated.



  6. #326
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    As if a decomposing carcass, or one that is composted is somehow worse than the environmental damage that slaughterhouses do.

    Bluey- google "Paula Bacon Letter about horse slaughter plant"
    She talks about the environmental damage Dallas Crowne did, the unpaid fines, and how it almost bankrupted the city's bankroll for prosecuting crime.

    Give me a break, that is nonsense.

    There should not be any enviromental damage done, not by badly run plants or carcass contamination by a clueless owner burying their own horse in their own land.

    Of course, she had an agenda, wanted to make all look bad and worse.
    That plant was overdo closing, not the right place there for an industrial plant, once it was becoming residential.

    You know better, or should after this has been repeated time and again, but here it goes once more.
    Those plants, like any other out there, are regulated by several agencies, are inspected and fined when not in compliance.

    That specific plant had an old last stage fluid cleaning system that tended to fail and they had to shut it down and fix it, but as they were being run out of town, they didn't want to replace it, so it kept having problems and fixing it and having problem and ... you get the picture.

    Bad management is that, bad management, the companies get fined and eventually closed.

    That some mismanage a plant, sorry, use some logic, doesn't in any way mean "slaughter is evil and needs banning".



  7. #327
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    How are your rights being impacted? You can sell them, donate them, euthanize them, use them for work, service, etc. When slaughter ends, you will have those same rights.

    You are worried about toxic waste in the ground but have no problems with humans eating toxic meat?
    You parrot animal rights extremist words and then wonder why you are considered one?

    "Humans eating toxic meat"?

    Really?

    Ok, maybe you don't understand the process of those that are providing what we eat to the rest of us.

    There are many laws and regulations, many government agencies overseeing them, individual protocols by producers, that insure best we can that what is offered to the public is as safe as we know how to make it.

    That is an ongoing, less than perfect process, but if you look back, we have today the safest, most aboundant and varied produce humanity ever had.

    Well, the same applies to horse meat, that is inspected and tested extensively.
    That meat has been sold for decades now and no one is dying like flies from eating it, or getting the dreaded purple polka dot disease either.

    Really.



  8. #328
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Third that.



    Good Lord, I hope not.



    Exactly. Had the situation been more serious, it would have been nice to see a white flag raised so that both sides could come together, but sadly, some people have an inflated sense of self importance....



    Sadly, it may well be because as long as slaughter is an option, horse people won't work together. What I find interesting is those who repeatedly post as being pro slaughter insist because it is an "option" yet won't lend support to the true options. Why not exhaust all valid options before resorting to the worst?



    Ah, but the argument will be not EVERY horse in the slaughter system has had Bute or wormer, so eating the meat is a MUCH safer option than burial...

    And don't forget Bluey and her pals believe that if horse slaughter is banned, the RARAs will have so much power they will be able to abolish use of horses by humans in any way.

    What THEY forget is they are able to slaughter and eat their own horses any time they choose. There is no law against that.
    I sure hope that you don't only buy meat from cattle that never had been dewormed.

    My point in these "BAN SLAUGHTER!" debates is this:

    When some extremist animal rights followers want to BAN, eliminate, not let others do what they do, that is a perfectly good and legal, regulated process, then they cross the line of their rights and impinge on the rights of others.

    Don't like some that some do in slaughter?
    First, be sure you got the story right, you are not following bad information from those with agendas.
    Then, if there is something wrong, work to change that, not BAN-BAN-BAN or else.

    That is nonsense, like wanting to ban driving because some keep running stop signs and some times cause wrecks.



  9. #329
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    Time-sharing at a well-run riding club would be one model that would allow people who cannot afford to keep their own horse to ride and enjoy horses on whatever level they wish
    Um, I do believe this option already exists, it is called a lesson barn. They are all over in various price ranges. Many even have trail riding lessons.
    Maybe you were too busy looking down your nose to notice them.



  10. #330
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Um, I do believe this option already exists, it is called a lesson barn. They are all over in various price ranges. Many even have trail riding lessons.
    Maybe you were too busy looking down your nose to notice them.
    Right, I wonder when someone finally would state the obvious.

    Thank you.



  11. #331
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    4,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I sure hope that you don't only buy meat from cattle that never had been dewormed.

    I don't eat meat.

    My point in these "BAN SLAUGHTER!" debates is this:

    When some extremist animal rights followers want to BAN, eliminate, not let others do what they do, that is a perfectly good and legal, regulated process, then they cross the line of their rights and impinge on the rights of others.

    There is nothing good and regulated about the slaughter process, including how the horses are transported.

    Don't like some that some do in slaughter?
    First, be sure you got the story right, you are not following bad information from those with agendas.
    Then, if there is something wrong, work to change that, not BAN-BAN-BAN or else.

    I'm all about the ban, but you aren't so what are you doing to change it?

    That is nonsense, like wanting to ban driving because some keep running stop signs and some times cause wrecks.

    And yet again, another ridiculous "analogy". Did you get tired of using your drunk driving one?
    As many of us have stated numerous times, it's not illegal to slaughter and eat your own horse. Go for it.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg



  12. #332
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Sadly, it [the surprise when the EU finally bans "undocumented" meat again] may well be because as long as slaughter is an option, horse people won't work together. What I find interesting is those who repeatedly post as being pro slaughter insist because it is an "option" yet won't lend support to the true options. Why not exhaust all valid options before resorting to the worst?
    What? There are laws on the books requiring documentation that horses have lived a drug-free life if they are sold to a slaughter plant and you think there's any good reason to have the next round of EU bans be a surprise? Why?

    It makes no difference whether or not horse folk work together. When selling horses as meat becomes unprofitable, it will stop. That's largely out of our control.

    IMO, the ethical or even emotional debates about whether or not horses are livestock or pets won't ever trump the economics of it all. And you don't have to scratch the surface of anyone's position to find an economic agenda behind it, either.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  13. #333
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    What? There are laws on the books requiring documentation that horses have lived a drug-free life if they are sold to a slaughter plant and you think there's any good reason to have the next round of EU bans be a surprise? Why?

    It makes no difference whether or not horse folk work together. When selling horses as meat becomes unprofitable, it will stop. That's largely out of our control.

    IMO, the ethical or even emotional debates about whether or not horses are livestock or pets won't ever trump the economics of it all. And you don't have to scratch the surface of anyone's position to find an economic agenda behind it, either.
    Very true.



  14. #334
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2005
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Very true.
    So what is your economic agenda?
    I support equine meat processing as an option for those who choose to use it.



  15. #335
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderhorseguy View Post
    So what is your economic agenda?
    I think you misread...
    I'm agreeing that economics are what drives slaughter. It won't be stopped because of any emotional appeal about whether it is wrong, arguments about rights to do what you want with horses, etc. It will stop when it no longer is economically profitable.



  16. #336
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,644

    Default

    And yet more confusion over why and who and what....

    http://www.drf.com/news/canadian-sla...-deliveries-us

    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"



  17. #337
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    It is a wholly contradictory article given the known frequency of bute in US horses, not to mention the apparent ass-coverage by the EU.
    "Absolutely not," Bouvry said. "We used to test for [drugs] in the parts per thousands and millions, and now we test per billions."
    Never mind I reread it, comprehension fail...but there still is NO test for bute.



  18. #338
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2005
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I think you misread...
    I'm agreeing that economics are what drives slaughter. It won't be stopped because of any emotional appeal about whether it is wrong, arguments about rights to do what you want with horses, etc. It will stop when it no longer is economically profitable.
    The original post said "anyone's position", not "anyone with a pro-slaughter position". If you are agreeing with the original post then you must have an economic position.

    As a pro-slaughter person there is an economic part to my position but the major part is my right to use my property.
    I support equine meat processing as an option for those who choose to use it.



  19. #339
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2006
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderhorseguy View Post
    The original post said "anyone's position", not "anyone with a pro-slaughters position". If you are agreeing with the original post then you must have an economic position.

    As a pro-slaughter person there is an economic part to my position but the major part is my right to use my property.
    Either that mantra is so old it's obsolete or from another planet, "my right to use my property". We haven't had those "rights" for decades. We have had privileges like driving, and hunting. So far the the only "rights" are that we can OWN. We haven't in my lifetime been able to do as we please on our own property or with our own property. Check your state statutes. You'll be amused and surprised.



  20. #340
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    And people on this board think I'm mercenary?

    Ay caramba!
    Maybe they should just see how mercenary you are Swamp Yankee.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371433
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



Similar Threads

  1. Any rescues accepting horses? SE PA
    By Flying Hippotamus in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug. 13, 2011, 11:06 AM
  2. Selling young horses & accepting payment plans
    By Callaway in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Feb. 4, 2011, 07:12 AM
  3. houses & horses book?
    By t. nason in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
  4. Replies: 231
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2007, 12:42 PM
  5. American horses slaughtered in Mexico and Canada
    By onthebit12000 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 333
    Last Post: Feb. 6, 2007, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness