The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

While it is quite amusing to watch, just thought I'd mention that all the back-and-forth personal bickering between some of the parties here (esp. about things only teniously related to the thread at hand) destroys credibility on BOTH sides. It would be nice to see an adult take the higher road for a change, and hey, someday you may wish you had that credibility back.

OK so has anybody been able to find any official information on this? I looked on the cfia page but didn't see any new press releases...
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    Why do folks not get extra jobs to pay for their horses?
    Lol!!! This isn't the thread for you hon. Get out now while you have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Okay, Fairfax. Here's your chance to redeem yourself or at least restore some of your credibility. It's 10:57 EDT here, so probably around 8:57 your time. Is Bouvy up and running (don't they like to get a good early start?) this morning? You said that there was a group of people who observed--what all have they heard or think? What do you get from all of your contacts that you mentioned? There must be at least some sort of information--pro or con--that is circulating around.

All we want is some sort of concrete, semi-contrete info--or even pure speculation would suffice--now that the working week has started.

Thanks in advance.

Ooops, saw above post. At any rate, any information would be appreciated.
    I have not had a return call from their H.O. yet.

I have not had a call from the Vet at the border yet.

I did confirm with a broker house they processed two loads of feeder horses

If nothing comes out of these rumors started by animal rights extremist groups, it will sure look like they may just have wanted to have a dry run.
    Maybe to see how much interest and maybe support they really have out there and where they need to do more to get better results?

I know that most non-profits are hurting, the economy has kept people from giving so freely as they were doing.
    Donor fatigue also had a hand.
    Also, more donors are catching on that not all non-profits are quite what they seem to be, question that and, depending on what they find, decide against being quite so free with their "dribble".
    That is the way it should be, weed the propaganda asking for donations with hidden agendas.

Thank you, Fairfax. Please let us know if you hear anything.

BTW, the feeder horses are the ones with the 6-month hold, aren't they? Isn't 2 loads kind of small, or what volume do they usually run on a Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    If nothing comes out of these rumors started by animal rights extremist groups, it will sure look like they may just have wanted to have a dry run.
    I was under the impression that this was "started up" by a PA area kill buyer, who called Baker about it. Neither of them are anywhere near "AR" extremists. The exact opposite, in fact.

Did I understand the flow of this information incorrectly?

My CANTER blog.

Thank you, Fairfax. Please let us know if you hear anything.

BTW, the feeder horses are the ones with the 6-month hold, aren't they? Isn't 2 loads kind of small, or what volume do they usually run on a Monday?
    Feeder must be slaughtered within 96 hours. They are given a health certificate for the whole trailer load.

Two loads of feeders is about normal..the main day when most livestock is moved is Tuesday. Cattle are moved on those days and the staff and brokers are ready to process quickly.

When feeders come in Mon and Tuesday..the kill floor is ready for them on Friday.

I was just told CFIA is investigating the source of this story.

There neither a denial nor agreement...just an investigation

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I was under the impression that this was "started up" by a PA area kill buyer, who called Baker about it. Neither of them are anywhere near "AR" extremists. The exact opposite, in fact.

Did I understand the flow of this information incorrectly?
    Half right, half wrong, if the way I heard it is correct.

The trucker did report being turned back to his boss.
    Others heard the story and, like the game of telephone, got only part right, including a certain animal rights group, that then took the story and ran with it and others took it then as legit from that source.

Then the questions started and everyone backed off and said they didn't quite know.

Well, I may be wrong also, but that is what I remember from the start of this.

Oh, so Bouvry is not specifically for horses? They do other animals also? If the feeders must be slaughtered within 96 hours, then what do they call the ones that go through that six month period--just to get the nomenclature straight.

I think I've seen pictures of the feed lots right outside the plant--so the feeders get several days of good last meals?

Caffeinated, you can see here at the DRF who was talking about this: Dealers, auction owners, killbuyers and others in the industry of horse sales including sales to slaughter.
    I can't find one name in this article credited with sharing first hand information that is considered a RaRa/AR Extremist/Animal Rights Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Daily Racing Form has some info as well:

http://www.drf.com/news/canada-stops...ook-like%22%7D

'Baker said he first heard about the slaughterhouses’ closure to U.S. horses at 6 a.m. Friday morning and said the news took him by surprise. He said he called some horse sellers he knew and told them not to bother bringing their horses to Sugarcreek.

In Davenport, Wash., the Stockland Livestock Auction canceled its Oct. 13 horse sale, saying on its website that “Stockland has just become aware of a possible situation regarding horse exports [as of 10/12/12]. We have reached out to numerous experts and traders in the business and as a result and due to the uncertainty surrounding the information we have so far we have decided to cancel the horse sale. We hope to reschedule later this fall or early in 2013.”

Oh, so Bouvry is not specifically for horses? They do other animals also? If the feeders must be slaughtered within 96 hours, then what do they call the ones that go through that six month period--just to get the nomenclature straight.

I think I've seen pictures of the feed lots right outside the plant--so the feeders get several days of good last meals?
    Bouvry does NOT do any commercial beef. Tuesday is Beef day at the border but they are destined to other destinations.

Bouvry does Alpacas, Llamas, and specialty animals.

The feedlot is right next to the buildings and you are correct..they are always fed. The fields are across the highway and also behind the feedlot.

EU has inspected their plant and facilities on numerous occasions and the feedback has been very very positive. They are a very progressive group.

Sorry I missed the second part of your question. The other horses come in with INDIVIDUAL health certificates. These horses are fed very well. Bouvry started numerous feedlots in Montana and also by the plant so many of the horses have an extended period of time..six months..to graze and then grain.

They do offer select individuals the right to come in,view the horses and some are sold to "jobbers" (dealers)

This is NOT open to the public however due to security concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Caffeinated, you can see here at the DRF who was talking about this: Dealers, auction owners, killbuyers and others in the industry of horse sales including sales to slaughter.
    I can't find one name in this article credited with sharing first hand information that is considered a RaRa/AR Extremist/Animal Rights Group.
    I've seen that, just wondering about a CFIA or EU (or other official government type source) press release on the subject.

I've seen enough press over the last few years to know this was probably going to happen at some point, since as of July 2013 they're requiring all horses entering their meat supply (from other countries) to have lifetime records accompanying them, and no way that's happening in the US anytime soon. Just looking for something "official" from a government agency or something

My CANTER blog.

I am sure the Maryland Horse Council or HSUS will be able to assist you.

Nobody's been to New Holland today?

I think you are starting to catch on.

The many who post on here and make sure they question my facts do not spend a penny of their own money to hear first hand

The many who post on here and claim I do not have contacts for information do not have any of their own therefore they have no facts so they try and shoot mine..or anyone else who has information.

A couple of us don't post...and ...well...you see the results...they have nothing to bring to the forum, they have nothing to spew their venom at and they still don't have any information.

Lets just see how well they do with FIRST HAND INFORMATION rather than their taking little bites from a variety of other forums and trying to weave facts from tainted information sprinkled with hearsay

Wow...the key typing from them is deafening

No official word from EU Health nor CIFA nor the Mexican Government. All sites are QUIET. Guess they will have to check the recycled news bin for their updates.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I think you are starting to catch on.

The many who post on here and make sure they question my facts do not spend a penny of their own money to hear first hand

The many who post on here and claim I do not have contacts for information do not have any of their own therefore they have no facts so they try and shoot mine..or anyone else who has information.

A couple of us don't post...and ...well...you see the results...they have nothing to bring to the forum, they have nothing to spew their venom at and they still don't have any information.

Lets just see how well they do with FIRST HAND INFORMATION rather than their taking little bites from a variety of other forums and trying to weave facts from tainted information sprinkled with hearsay

Wow...the key typing from them is deafening

No official word from EU Health nor CIFA nor the Mexican Government. All sites are QUIET. Guess they will have to check the recycled news bin for their updates.
    Seriously, what was the point of anything other than the very last paragraph? Other than to say "nah nah!"?

Fairfax, when you're not being cutesy or ranting about HSUS you are actually very interesting. So now, educate me on the grades of horses:

1. There are some that come in sealed trailers that have to be slaughtered immediately (?).
    2. There are the feeders that must be slaughtered within 96 hours. How do these differ from #1?
    3. There are the ones that come in with individual health certificates (are these the EID forms or different ones)? They get turned out for 6 months. (I've been to Calgary and know that there is a lot of grassland, but aren't there also black flies and mosquitoes the size of trucks? What about during the winter--aren't there a lot of blizzards and doesn't it get really, really cold?) Don't they get fattened on grain at the end like cattle?

What do they do if the EID doesn't match the horse? Do they switch it to another classification? What else do I have to know?