The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

goneriding24, I do get out in the world. Where there is a will there is a way has always been my motto. I am in the suburbs of Nashville----where are you? There are jobs here that folks will not take. Lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Anyone else feel like we have a visitor from beyond the grave?
    I was reading County's old posts this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    The horses "stuck in the pipeline" all have owners (KB/Dealers/feedlot owners). Why is it everyone else's problem to bail them out of a business decision they made? If they want to GIVE the horses away, then I could see some rescues helping them do that, but I don't think they should be getting money or anything to care for or buy horses in their possession. Maybe they can ask Sue Wallis, et al to help pay for their business decision. And I think people (pro slaughter side especially) should make sure that they stay aware of any KB/dealers/feedlots that dump animals or neglect them, and stay on top of AC/police to prosecute the people that do that to the full extent of the law.
    I haven't seen dealers giving away their horses. So they must not be too worried or overwhelmed.
    The voice of reason!

Let's assume for a second this is ALL true and no US horses will be accepted anywhere. I've seen signs of people gearing up to help horses "stuck in the pipeline". Frankly since these horses would now be a liability the owners should be happy just to GIVE them away. Any rescue that falls for their blackmail prices now would be idiots. (SHHHHH) If horses end up selling for $10 at the auction then great, maybe they have a chance then to be bought by someone who is willing to train them and resell. It is hard for someone to do that on a budget when they have to outbid a KB (often with the help of the auction owner) and then put months or a year into it with all the feed, vet bills and training time to then sell it for the $500 or so trained grade horses might bring.

The KBs keep the prices for horses artificially high (when you are considering riding horses) because they set a bottom level price for any old horse regardless of it's age or training status. With that bottom gone now the TRUE bottom will be what it should be (for riding horses) $0. That takes away the net for these people who just breed and don't train and when they get tired of them ship them off to the sales.

I can see some horses still going to Mexico as there was a SMALL market for local horse meat there but I doubt they would make much money if they had to haul them for very far. Mexico slaughters about 600,000 of their own each year, nobody is going to pay much for (tainted) American horses. Prior to the EU plant opening there the Mexico sales were pretty small. I would forsee the current numbers going back to those levels if that, given the "tainted" meat stigma now attached.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Bouver foods, I have been told, has around 15000 that are now at the six months.
    I think you mean Bouvry... who owns the s/h in Alberta and yes, in their previous advertising in France, I remember reading about the idyllic conditions where they raised their horses... "raised" was the word!! not... "fatten" the horses we buy at auctions!
    I remember a picture of a mare and foal in a huge green field...

Lies, lies, lies... the horses come up from the feedlot in Montana in Shelby... where there are no green fields, just huge mud lots..

and again, I'd like to know why Canadian horses would be accepted... same problems of traceability.

Actually they do have a test which should be ready by the end of November and it does appear to detect 100 per cent if Bute is in the meat. That is why Vets are doing it in conjunction with Health Canada.

The six month is a GREAT idea and that is why there are feedlots where the horses are kept and monitored for that period of time. And they are well fed. Bouver foods, I have been told, has around 15000 that are now at the six months.
    Appear being the key word. Do you have any idea of how long it will take to test meat from every single horse? Their profits will nose dive and it will never happen. They won’t even slow down the lines to stun the horses properly. If anything, they’ll do random testing and the meat won’t be any safer than it is today. The only way to detect metabolites is by testing kidney tissue. You can’t do that with a live horse. Vet records from 6 months of age is the only way to guarantee food safety.

Unless something big happened, if a test was going to be ready in November, there wouldn’t have been a shutdown on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I think you mean Bouvry... who owns the s/h in Alberta and yes, in their previous advertising in France, I remember reading about the idyllic conditions where they raised their horses... "raised" was the word!! not... "fatten" the horses we buy at auctions!
    I remember a picture of a mare and foal in a huge green field...

Lies, lies, lies... the horses come up from the feedlot in Montana in Shelby... where there are no green fields, just huge mud lots..

and again, I'd like to know why Canadian horses would be accepted... same problems of traceability.
    You are correct about the spelling

They do have numerous feed lots. They do NOT breed horse so the word "raised" if used was referring to the finishing of the horses. The Bouvry plant is the one I volunteered at for two years.

They have several sections of land where the horses are placed and that is located at the slaughter plant. There is also the protected (wind and elements) feed lot for the feeder horses that must be slaughtered in 96 hours. There the horses are given free water, are grained/actually a prepared feed and given hay.

Have you been to the Montana feed lots? I have..on numerous occasions. During rain season they do have mud. There are no fields at the American feed lots.

The fields are as posted at Fort MacLeod.

Maybe a trip out west for once would enlighten you

Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    Appear being the key word. Do you have any idea of how long it will take to test meat from every single horse? Their profits will nose dive and it will never happen. They won’t even slow down the lines to stun the horses properly. If anything, they’ll do random testing and the meat won’t be any safer than it is today. The only way to detect metabolites is by testing kidney tissue. You can’t do that with a live horse. Vet records from 6 months of age is the only way to guarantee food safety.

Unless something big happened, if a test was going to be ready in November, there wouldn’t have been a shutdown on Friday.
    No one seems to know exactly where the shutdown theory came from other than it was reported by the RARA group Animal Law Coalition and they made reference to a paper submitted in Spanish that does NOT say they are closing the plant. If you go to their website please check out the links they provide.

I have to ask. Do you know ANYTHING about the slaughter industry?

They do NOT speed up the kill to make up time. The meat is tested from CUTS after the animal is DEAD.

It is very obvious you know nothing about the development of the test so I won't bother to address that. The test, according to the Canadian Government Health and Welfare SHOULD be available around the end of November.

No further debate is necessary. You, like I, will have to wait and see how it all plays out

I would like to mention that the like from the EU provided does NOT mention Canada nor any equine products on the hoof brought into Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    FIVE hours between GB and New York City, SIX hours with France... Again, those numbers...
    Give it a rest Falsie...

Have you been to the Montana feed lots? I have..on numerous occasions. During rain season they do have mud. There are no fields at the American feed lots.
    No I have not been but there have been many many accounts of the terrible state of the Shelby lots. Oh, but of course, it's RARA and rescues posting this. Not the knowledgeable FFx .
    I can be against slaughter w/o being an animal right activist.
    I just think it is a despicable way to get rid of animals you (general You, but then who knows...) don't want to take responsibility for.

and "raised" was in French as "Nous élevons nos chevaux" which makes it seem as they raise them from birth ... not just "fatten" which would be "nous les engraissons".

Give it a rest Falsie...
    why? I have to point out when the Almighty is wrong!

No one seems to know exactly where the shutdown theory came from other than it was reported by the RARA group Animal Law Coalition and they made reference to a paper submitted in Spanish that does NOT say they are closing the plant. If you go to their website please check out the links they provide.

I have to ask. Do you know ANYTHING about the slaughter industry?

They do NOT speed up the kill to make up time. The meat is tested from CUTS after the animal is DEAD.

It is very obvious you know nothing about the development of the test so I won't bother to address that. The test, according to the Canadian Government Health and Welfare SHOULD be available around the end of November.

No further debate is necessary. You, like I, will have to wait and see how it all plays out

I would like to mention that the like from the EU provided does NOT mention Canada nor any equine products on the hoof brought into Canada.
    Yes, no need to debate. The KBs, the auctions, Richelieu, and CFIA lied to us.

I never said anything about trying to make up time. They run them through as fast as they can and if they miss, oh well. Decades of footage have proven this over and over again.

Do you honestly think they’ll test meat from every horse? They only do random testing. It will be the same crap coming out of the plants now. Nothing will change.

So now in addition to “appear” you insert the word “should”. So what you’re saying is that you don’t really know if the test works or when it will be ready. You must be getting lessons from Wallis. Announcement after announcement. We’re still waiting for the 2009 Horse Act and the plant in MO that was supposed to be open last month. And the NM, TN, OK, WY, OR and MT plants. Oh, and let’s not forget her brilliant idea of a mobile slaughter facility.

And yes, I know about slaughter and what I didn’t know, I found out from a director of the former Natural Valley Meats in Canada. Remember, you’re government shut them down for the very reasons we oppose horse slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    Yes, no need to debate. The KBs, the auctions, Richelieu, and CFIA lied to us.

I never said anything about trying to make up time. They run them through as fast as they can and if they miss, oh well. Decades of footage have proven this over and over again.

Do you honestly think they’ll test meat from every horse? They only do random testing. It will be the same crap coming out of the plants now. Nothing will change.

So now in addition to “appear” you insert the word “should”. So what you’re saying is that you don’t really know if the test works or when it will be ready. You must be getting lessons from Wallis. Announcement after announcement. We’re still waiting for the 2009 Horse Act and the plant in MO that was supposed to be open last month. And the NM, TN, OK, WY, OR and MT plants. Oh, and let’s not forget her brilliant idea of a mobile slaughter facility.

And yes, I know about slaughter and what I didn’t know, I found out from a director of the former Natural Valley Meats in Canada. Remember, you’re government shut them down for the very reasons we oppose horse slaughter.
    I would like to point out to you that, as you can see, when someone was not doing things right, the system worked, they shut the plant, as they should.

Too bad that doesn't fit with what you want slaughter to be, all about not doing things properly, so you and other animal rights extremists have your current cause of the moment to get people to donate to, money that, after skimming from the top to make a good living for some, the rest then goes to lobbying to eventually eliminate all uses of animals.

Any announcement about what New Holland is going to do today?

Sheila

Quit trying to misinform individuals. She was trying to establish a FEED CO-OP. I told her she needed start up money to purchase the feed and also trucking expenses and finally a central place to store it. Then individuals would purchase the feed at lower than the local costs were.

For some reason, she thought the feed would be donated and truckers would haul if for free.

She never said she was setting up a Feed Bank.

It never got off the ground. Period. She tried on facebook but WITH NO MONEY how could it.

But then, Sheila, I didn't notice you putting up any money for her venture.

Again...she was setting up a feed co-op and that is very different than a feed bank

Sadly the truth has never been your friend and neither have you ever put your money where you typing fingers go. I am sure we haven't heard from you for a while as you were looking for a new stable to put your horse in. Hope you found one you like.
    Give it a rest, Leo. I think you have more than one person reading rolling on the floor in laughter. It is indeed a moment rich in irony when YOU, of all people, tell ANYONE else that the truth is not their friend.

Yes, thank you for asking, I did find a barn I liked. I don't have much experience barn hunting, but this one seems to have been completed with a minimum of stress for all concerned. Although I do find it a little on the scary side that once again you seem to be stalking me. Leo, you wouldn't do that? Would you? You wouldn't follow me around on a forum, searching out my posts? I think I will take a screen shot of your comment. It looks like you have an unhealthy interest in my life. Otherwise, why would you have any interest in what I post if it isn't something that you would respond to?

But then again, I am not the first woman you have been accused of having an unhealthy interest in on the internet, right? Have you ever turned your focus on a man? Or is it just the women who disagree with you that get you all...discombobulated?
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Any announcement about what New Holland is going to do today?
    No official announcement(s) that I know of, but here is a short video and photos of the NH auction barn from last night. It's nearly empty when it would normally be full:
    http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org...toppage_3.html
    Equus Keepus Brokus

You are correct about the spelling

They do have numerous feed lots. They do NOT breed horse so the word "raised" if used was referring to the finishing of the horses. The Bouvry plant is the one I volunteered at for two years.
    You volunteered at a slaughter plant feed lot?

Odd. Who does that?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Give it a rest, Leo. I think you have more than one person reading rolling on the floor in laughter. It is indeed a moment rich in irony when YOU, of all people, tell ANYONE else that the truth is not their friend.

Yes, thank you for asking, I did find a barn I liked. I don't have much experience barn hunting, but this one seems to have been completed with a minimum of stress for all concerned. Although I do find it a little on the scary side that once again you seem to be stalking me. Leo, you wouldn't do that? Would you? You wouldn't follow me around on a forum, searching out my posts? I think I will take a screen shot of your comment. It looks like you have an unhealthy interest in my life. Otherwise, why would you have any interest in what I post if it isn't something that you would respond to?

But then again, I am not the first woman you have been accused of having an unhealthy interest in on the internet, right? Have you ever turned your focus on a man? Or is it just the women who disagree with you that get you all...discombobulated?
    Sheilah
    You may ought to consider taking that to the Moderators, as if he is stalking you, they will want to know.
    Then, your post there is not that nice, if not right down insulting.
    That last paragraph is even so below the belt and even accusatory in a way you better think again if that is the kind of personal attack you really want to post.

When some attack me, I can ignore it.
    When some go overboard dumping on others, no matter who they are, well, that just doesn't seem right, especially when there is many against one.
    Very poor sport that.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    You volunteered at a slaughter plant feed lot?

Odd. Who does that?
    People who want to make sure things are according to regulations without having an official capacity, Like USDA inspector.

Sure helps in having a first hand account, vs past down stories from the internet.

But I get it.
    Slaughter is ick.
    So we leave it to others to do it.
    And then we complain when it's not done to our standards.
    But we are not there to enforce them, oversee them, after all, it's ick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post

Sheilah
    There you go again. Stalking? How does one stalk when you posted on a thread here on COTH that you were having to leave your barn and you were looking for a new one. I read many of the threads....guess you think I should stop if you are involved.

Truth..and yet..you fail to correct and clearly state that Carol was trying to establish a FOOD CO-OP. She clarrified many times it was NOT a food bank.

Isn't it amazing Sheila. You, Carol and a couple of your friends, one who posted my name, address and phone number on the interet implying that I should be "fair game" all have stated that I have for some reason stalked you. I guess I makes you feel wanted but as I have stated...I would think that one would have to be on high speed instead of dial up.

When Carol bragged about her involvement in bringing DOWN one of the top Arab breeders and you supported her throughout the whole campaign and NEITHER of you ever called her to ask it you could help, if she needed any help..but just blindly went on the school yard pile on...well..your head should still be hanging in shame.

The lawsuits that have started with the first serving of TORT will start in 2013. I understand they will be both specific and broadspectrum. There will be many individuals who will receive notification as it progresses.

Sheila..when I error, I immediately correct upon discovery. To error is human. I do not see you correcting yourself regarding the FB thread about the Feed co-op and not a feed bank.

Duly noted...this just lets others see why you continue to come after my posts but hey...as pius one horse owner who attempts to sit in judgement of everyone else...guess you are angry that I do not bow to your false god

The lawsuits that have started with the first serving of TORT will start in 2013. I understand they will be both specific and broadspectrum. There will be many individuals who will receive notification as it progresses.
    If this ends up anything like the infamous Press Release from Dr Henneke about how his BCS was being abused and misused and everyone should stop using it NOW... well I guess these people being threatened with a lawsuit don't have to sweat much.