The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    Why do folks not get extra jobs to pay for their horses?
    Seriously?? Been out in the world much lately??

Where I live, the economy is in the toilet. People are leaving in droves. Yesterday, hubby and I drove through town and even more empty shops are on display. (Which in a perverse way, most true locals are glad the newcomers are gone. When they started coming in years ago, prices of property and taxes skyrocketed. We do have some spectacular weather and scenic views. It's ebbing back to 'normal' in terms of population.)

My hay guy is starting to have trouble financially because horse ownership is down and he can't sell enough hay to make it worth his while...or rather is getting to that point.

One of my horses was an abandoned horse. I had to chase him down in a huge pasture where someone had dumped his (now) nicely rounded butt. Now, I'm hearing there are yet more horses out where I found my guy.

The livestock sale here sold three stud horses the last time I went for $2.50, $2.50 and $7.50 each.

There aren't any jobs to be had for a primary one much less for a secondary. The HS is full of horses and trying to unload some, even bypassing some of their hard and fast rules. Even if someone could find a second job, the money prolly will go for other necessities and the horse has to go...except there is no place for the horse to go.

It's a round robin sort of deal.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

On the weekend Canada CFIA posted they were reopening the BEEF/PORK Excell meat plant in Brooks. Strange they would not have made ANY mention at that same time.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...t-with-layoffs

What is a PR news wire? CTV, CBC and Global are the ONLY TV news stations...THEY KNOW NOTHING
    First, Fairfax, you who know it all, it is XL Foods, not EXCEL... and they are laying off 2000 workers, not 6000... you do have a way with numbers...

And again, when did CTV, CBC or GLOBAL ever had slaughter news (esp. horses) as front page news?? this is certainly not news to them anyway. They did mention slaughter when the whole race track/slots happened, but since then? nothing... I really do not see them, even if it is confirmed tomorrow, having this as their headlines.

You do make me embarrassed to live in the same country, luckily far away!

Monday is auction day at New Holland, and let's see how they handle their loose horse sales, barring any more information from Europe. I'll be curious to see what happens.

There is a 9 hour difference between GB and some European countries and New York City. We should be able to hear in about 8 hours or so from Europe.
    FIVE hours between GB and New York City, SIX hours with France... Again, those numbers...

Fairfax:

As far as I know, nobody is making derogatory comments about your (Canada's) prime minister. Would appreciate your doing the same about our president, no matter whether you like him or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post

Still waiting for the info on all the hay banks you have established...
    Make sure he doesn't count those hay banks that he tore down in this country in his zeal to take down a lady that he didn't like.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    If permanent, horses at auctions will go to non slaughter buyers.
    Friend of mine just got back from the last auction of the year at Crowley's in Agawam, MA and the word up there is they're not shipping; as in Not Happening. It's not a rumor, folks, it's for real!

The numbers of those "caught in the pipeline" cannot be large; now would be the time for all those alternative ideas and groups to kick in and put their money where their mouth is, but realistically the major outcome is the loss of a week's profits to the scavengers.

My gods, perhaps we may yet crawl out of the primordial ooze . . .

Seriously?! That's the best you can do?

Still waiting for the info on all the hay banks you have established...
    Texas Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Washington State, Oregon, California (Northern) Vermont, Colorado, Montana and Louisiana. We are hoping for Nebraska, Idaho and New Mexico.

Individuals pledge hay and also we have feed stores that have a line of credit established for grain. Individuals contact us and it is done case by case. Last year we were out of hay by the end of February. However we were still able to provide rolled oats. This is a stop gap. It is to help individuals by keeping the horses on their property. This cuts out the rescue. The assistance, depending on the number of horses, is to a maximum of 60 days. During that time ALl alternatives are presented. We do approach vets as to euthanasia however on the whole..we have found they do not volunteer much.We are able to network with youth groups and even senior homes to adopt a horse for 3 months... or more...they just help with the feed. The demand was enormous. We are "not a charity" and everything comes out of pocket(our own). That way we don't have to answer to anyone but we sure can make a difference for some horses. Is it a solution/./// well..it is a piece of a puzzle and an option..Maybe some year AHA and other registration groups will be able to have their clubs establish a FB region by region.

If only 50 horses are saved...that is 50 someone else doesn't have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Make sure he doesn't count those hay banks that he tore down in this country in his zeal to take down a lady that he didn't like.
    Sheilah
    Sheila

Quit trying to misinform individuals. She was trying to establish a FEED CO-OP. I told her she needed start up money to purchase the feed and also trucking expenses and finally a central place to store it. Then individuals would purchase the feed at lower than the local costs were.

For some reason, she thought the feed would be donated and truckers would haul if for free.

She never said she was setting up a Feed Bank.

It never got off the ground. Period. She tried on facebook but WITH NO MONEY how could it.

But then, Sheila, I didn't notice you putting up any money for her venture.

Again...she was setting up a feed co-op and that is very different than a feed bank

Sadly the truth has never been your friend and neither have you ever put your money where you typing fingers go. I am sure we haven't heard from you for a while as you were looking for a new stable to put your horse in. Hope you found one you like.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Fairfax:

As far as I know, nobody is making derogatory comments about your (Canada's) prime minister. Would appreciate your doing the same about our president, no matter whether you like him or not.
    As a dual citizen he is also my President.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    First, Fairfax, you who know it all, it is XL Foods, not EXCEL... and they are laying off 2000 workers, not 6000... you do have a way with numbers...

And again, when did CTV, CBC or GLOBAL ever had slaughter news (esp. horses) as front page news?? this is certainly not news to them anyway. They did mention slaughter when the whole race track/slots happened, but since then? nothing... I really do not see them, even if it is confirmed tomorrow, having this as their headlines.

You do make me embarrassed to live in the same country, luckily far away!
    2000 in Brooks and 4000 in subsidiary plants. XL you are correct.

However I understand as of today the plant, due to an announcement from CFIA IS going to partially resume business in Brooks. The fact they could make that announcement doesn't it seem strange they would not make any other statements regarding slaughter and "another" plant closure.

You and your ilk are the reason the west should quit paying subsidization equalization payments and separate. But then...isn't it your Premier who has cancelled ALL TB racing and gambling programs which may result in the end of the Queens Plate and will put 13,000 yearling and two year old TB's at risk?

More important...the news media don't know anything about it. Neither have the big name American stations picked up on it.

A person who I spoke with said maybe this is for the best. It will FORCE the U.S. into making some definitive decision. The person did think taxes will be put on all American horses and this will be the last middle class generation to be able to afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    So I guess you are the one that will get that phone call at 3 am? Not Obama or Hilary?
    lol...Maybe Susan Rice will Break the News, Hilary Clinton will Correct the News, and President Obama will forget the news.

No matter how much any of us have to say...it will be...what it will be..

I just hope the U.S. industry can survive what I fear is going to happen

2000 in Brooks and 4000 in subsidiary plants. XL you are correct.

You and your ilk are the reason the west should quit paying subsidization equalization payments and separate. But then...isn't it your Premier who has cancelled ALL TB racing and gambling programs which may result in the end of the Queens Plate and will put 13,000 yearling and two year old TB's at risk?
    That sure is not very Canadian. Why don't you just move south of the border. Believe me I do not support our Premier.. he has NOT cancelled TB racing ... he has removed the subsidies that the slots at the tracks provided to the horse industry... he did not cancel racing. The horse industry is closing the tracks because they can't afford to continue without these subsidies. Again, get informed too. The racing industry should have seen it coming... but then again... they did not.
    That's what happens with those announcements made out of the blue, right? No time to prepare!

Texas Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Washington State, Oregon, California (Northern) Vermont, Colorado, Montana and Louisiana. We are hoping for Nebraska, Idaho and New Mexico.

Individuals pledge hay and also we have feed stores that have a line of credit established for grain. Individuals contact us and it is done case by case. Last year we were out of hay by the end of February. However we were still able to provide rolled oats. This is a stop gap. It is to help individuals by keeping the horses on their property. This cuts out the rescue. The assistance, depending on the number of horses, is to a maximum of 60 days. During that time ALl alternatives are presented. We do approach vets as to euthanasia however on the whole..we have found they do not volunteer much.We are able to network with youth groups and even senior homes to adopt a horse for 3 months... or more...they just help with the feed. The demand was enormous. We are "not a charity" and everything comes out of pocket(our own). That way we don't have to answer to anyone but we sure can make a difference for some horses. Is it a solution/./// well..it is a piece of a puzzle and an option..Maybe some year AHA and other registration groups will be able to have their clubs establish a FB region by region.

If only 50 horses are saved...that is 50 someone else doesn't have to worry about.
    Wow...brilliant response my friend. However, if I were the person who originally asked you for this information, I think I'd want some more specifics.

You know, like how to actually verify this information.

But that's just me...

There you go AGAIN

The blood test has been in development for over one year and is a joint venture between the Vet university and the Government of Canada.

EU has stated that IF there is a test for residue they will accept the results.

Canada has an excellent reputation in its drug development and testing criterias.

But then the rest of the world knows that but we don't expect many Americans to know that. So now you do.

Thalidomide was rejected by Canada when the U.S. first introduced it. We discovered it caused deformities in test rats and while the U.S. pushed it through...it was NOT accepted into Canada. Still there were some doctors who imported it illegally for their patients with horrible results.
    Sorry but a blood test will not detect bute unless the horse has had massive amounts within a few days of going to slaughter. The only way to test for bute and its metabolites is kidney tissue. Phenylbutazone leaves the blood and takes up in injured tissue and metabolizes into oxyphenlybutazone and is not detected in blood. It is the matabolites that are the danger. The only way to ensure food safety is to on the front end before the horse is sent to slaughter by proving that they have been free of drugs since 6 months of age through a national tracking system.

Vets are doing the study and not medical doctors? How are they qualified to assess human health?

Speaking of facts, please share the details regarding the numerous hay banks you have established. I think it will be helpful to know where they are so we can spread the word to those in need.
    And now...what have YOU ever done?

I have enough people in Arabs and Saddlebreds and even an appy lady who the banks helped and they are on many of the forums...

Why don't you organize one. Get locals to donate 10 or more bales and do find a storage place. Do put a tarp on the ground so there is no spoilage. It doesn't take long before you have 100 or more bales. It does not have to be much..anything helps especially if the person has a family and has lost their job or something to do with health.

The grain is best handled by picking a feed company you can trust and work with and you purchase as much grain as you can. Then the receipient receives a voucher they can redeem.

Spend some of your own money and don't worry about charitable status. That way you can do as you see fit or who ever you decide to do it with.

It is NOT ment to be a feeding program for the winter for anyone. but it is to give them a little breathing room and if the people and animals are treated with some compassion they will sure listen to suggestions. Sadly, it is truly hard to give away some horses. That is why, if euthanization is not possible for financial reasons, slaughter has been suggested.

If that option is totally removed...then I guess everyone will have to come up with another idea.

I put up only $500 at one feed store and due to the fact they were paid. they would ask other customer if they would donate 1 dollar towards another bag of grain. Some folks would actually donate one full bag. But you still have to make sure the store has some money so they will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    Wow...brilliant response my friend. However, if I were the person who originally asked you for this information, I think I'd want some more specifics.

You know, like how to actually verify this information.

But that's just me...
    We notify sheriff's offices and some AC's for referrals. The FB in Vermont only had 40 bags of grain and 70 bales of hay but they were able to help a couple of people.

Of course those who do nothing, have never done anything,
    turn their venom towards those who do.

I don't owe you any explaination..as you are just you...why don't YOU set up one. It is not hard...you can do it for less than 500$ and you can make a difference rather than continually serving put downs.

I originally thought you had a sense of humor that was delightful. Now I see it is just sarcasm and viciousness masking a personality in need of attention.

Have a go at it. I have a thick skin and people who do nothing will receive the same.

Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    Sorry but a blood test will not detect bute unless the horse has had massive amounts within a few days of going to slaughter. The only way to test for bute and its metabolites is kidney tissue. Phenylbutazone leaves the blood and takes up in injured tissue and metabolizes into oxyphenlybutazone and is not detected in blood. It is the matabolites that are the danger. The only way to ensure food safety is to on the front end before the horse is sent to slaughter by proving that they have been free of drugs since 6 months of age through a national tracking system.

Vets are doing the study and not medical doctors? How are they qualified to assess human health?
    Actually they do have a test which should be ready by the end of November and it does appear to detect 100 per cent if Bute is in the meat. That is why Vets are doing it in conjunction with Health Canada.

The six month is a GREAT idea and that is why there are feedlots where the horses are kept and monitored for that period of time. And they are well fed. Bouver foods, I have been told, has around 15000 that are now at the six months.

Actually they do have a test which should be ready by the end of November and it does appear to detect 100 per cent if Bute is in the meat. That is why Vets are doing it in conjunction with Health Canada.

The six month is a GREAT idea and that is why there are feedlots where the horses are kept and monitored for that period of time. And they are well fed. Bouver foods, I have been told, has around 15000 that are now at the six months.
    I think you misread her post...it's 6 months of age...not just the 6 mo prior to slaughter.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Anyone else feel like we have a visitor from beyond the grave?