The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by newhorsemommy View Post
    So let's assume it's a rumor, and all a big conspiracy on the part of the "animal rights activists..."

Am I incorrect in my reading/understanding that beginning in July, all horses slaughtered for consumption in the EU will need to have lifetime medical records provided? If so, how does opening plants in the US solve this little problem? Are they going to forge "passports" or start raising horses for meat? How many horses that ship to slaughter right now have lifetime veterinary records?

I would be thrilled with a passport ID system here in the US. It would provide a means of identification and ownership for those that own unregistered horses, and would presumably make theft, for any purpose, more difficult.

I have a hard time with the concept that everyone that sends their horses to slaughter (and I am talking about "average" horse owners here, not breeding operations) does so because they cannot afford euthanasia. Plenty of people just don't give a shit about animals, period. While I understand that it is an economic hardship for some, I doubt that is the case for the majority. Slaughter just provides them an easy way to pass off their responsibilities. They can usually pretend that's not where the horse ended up and they are financially rewarded at the same time.
    The problem with passports is that they CAN be forged. Plus it raises the cost of worming, and other things since it makes a vet required to give wormers, Bute, etc.

KB are not buying the skinny, lame, old horses that are owned by someone who desperately needs to get rid of it. They are getting the fat, young healthy ones, that can survive a long trailer trip and still bring a higher price per pound.

Your last paragraph is very true.

You are picked on????

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Your take on these discussions would be more believable as presented if you had not been picking on me only.

Yes, there is much to this topic and no, we are not where only one side's story is permitted, thankfully.

We don't know if there is really a problem here and if so, what that is and what will come of this.

In reality, we should maybe be more concerned about the January 2013 fiscal cliff and how that will affect all, including the horse industry.
    I don't think we will be doing business as usual any more after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    For certain...two things will happen

Monday...CFIA will announce the plants are closed to all slaughter horses without a passport

Monday..CFIA will make NO announcement.

Monday EU will print a press release to the industry

Monday EU will not print anything

Monday Slaughter plant/plants will announce they have no contracts and therefore will be not taking any more horses

Monday Slaughter plants will continue to take horses and slaughter them as they have in the past

There is a 9 hour difference between GB and some European countries and New York City. We should be able to hear in about 8 hours or so from Europe.

If it is true...all those horses in the pipeline will add to someones coffers. AND it will force Obama in an election time, to make a decision one way or another.

If slaughter is not allowed for free running horses...they should be available for rendering at the slaughter plants but maybe some of the plants not want them. Then, this will be an opportunity to show all American (and Canada) that there is NO problem with no slaughter and all the horses can be saved and fed.

I agree with that also as Slaughter should only BE AN OPTION...as i have consistently stated. Those who want to remove an option better have a plan in place...
    So I guess you are the one that will get that phone call at 3 am? Not Obama or Hilary?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Thanks Vicki for posting that.

We were wondering where Sue was. LOL.

She is now going to be in charge of the Equine Quality Assurance Program that will take the place of the EID?

Link to her program:

http://ieqbassn.com/wp-content/uploa...ce-Program.pdf

Insert 'Rolling On The Floor' smilie here.
    Yes, it is a hoot. And she is going to try to get around food safety regulations with a blood test that will never detect bute or its metabolites. They're trying to push it in Canada and want government funding. We call their facebook group, Comedy Central. They're still debating bute and just can't understand that banned means banned and still don't know the difference between race day testing and food safety testing.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    This Sue Wallis? I'm sure those aren't direct lines listed on that site but they might be a place to start. http://legisweb.state.wy.us/legislat...aspx?LegID=146
    Thank you for the information. I did call her.

There is so much that is NOT making sense that she too is saying wait until Monday.

And she reminded me I had spoken with her on a couple of occasions...regarding the Calvary Group, The Vess, Canterbury and Bellinger seizures.

There, you have it again...when I am wrong I am more than pleased to announce it and set the record right. I don't just quit posting until I can get another dig in.

GIVE ME FACTS.

..share YOUR facts.
    Speaking of facts, please share the details regarding the numerous hay banks you have established. I think it will be helpful to know where they are so we can spread the word to those in need.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Thank you for the information. I did call her.

There is so much that is NOT making sense that she too is saying wait until Monday.

And she reminded me I had spoken with her on a couple of occasions...regarding the Calvary Group, The Vess, Canterbury and Bellinger seizures.

There, you have it again...when I am wrong I am more than pleased to announce it and set the record right. I don't just quit posting until I can get another dig in.
    Well there ya go.
    Just a few more hours of pacing on your part and you can pick up the phone to make those calls.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

If it is true...all those horses in the pipeline will add to someones coffers. AND it will force Obama in an election time, to make a decision one way or another.
    I suggest you call him straight away about this -- (Just Google him if you need his phone number)

He probably has no idea about the impending European horsemeat shortage; a crisis of monumental proportions.

If anyone can advise the President of the United States about how to prioritize International affairs, I'm confident you can.

Be sure to let us all know how your "phone call" goes -- ok?

Glad to hear you were able to speak with the FRENCH ONLY speaking receptionist on Saturday when they were closed. To whom did you speak?

Okay...how about this...WHERE did you read that EU is making an announcement on Monday? The major importer of human consumption meat (equine) to France hasn't heard anything yet and he is located in Holland.

On the weekend Canada CFIA posted they were reopening the BEEF/PORK Excell meat plant in Brooks. Strange they would not have made ANY mention at that same time.

The only contacts in Canada making any comments are RARA's. NOT ONE OF THEM HAS SPOKEN WITH CFIA directly.

Because they are closed......

You know CFIA plays dumb...and is slow to the draw? Wow...thanks for the education. Guess when they shut the Brooks HUMAN food plant down...they must have stalled it...

Gosh..some of you folks are arrogant.

What is a PR news wire? CTV, CBC and Global are the ONLY TV news stations...THEY KNOW NOTHING

How is it your own border agents..do not know anything. I called them this afternoon to see if they heard anything because the trucks would be "rejected" coming into Canada and would have to turn around and re-enter the U.S.A. They do not know anything about that...but then..it is a weekend and no trucks are allowed through with slaughter horses.

Now we know these non existent horses are garnering donations...guess we can all celebrate on Monday with any decision. Keep that money going into the rescues...They needed a crisis as they were running out of suckers...I mean donors...now they appear to have a NEW CAUSE.
    We received the information about the EU issuing a statement on Monday from Canada. And no, I'm not going to give you who they spoke to because when you reveal sources that ask to be anonymous, they stop talking to you.

There is countrywide confirmation in the US and from Richelieu and a source at the CFIA in Canada that the EU is no longer accepting shipments from Canada and Mexico. Believe it, don't believe it. In case you don't know who desBarres is, he works directly with the slaughter plants in Canada. If you don't want to believe him either, I don't know what will satsify you. We gave all the information we had. The haulers have stopped hauling and the auctions have stopped selling slaughter horses. I don't know how much more proof you need.

What we won't know until the EU issues a statement is why. We can speculate but we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    Yes, it is a hoot. And she is going to try to get around food safety regulations with a blood test that will never detect bute or its metabolites. They're trying to push it in Canada and want government funding. We call their facebook group, Comedy Central. They're still debating bute and just can't understand that banned means banned and still don't know the difference between race day testing and food safety testing.
    There you go AGAIN

The blood test has been in development for over one year and is a joint venture between the Vet university and the Government of Canada.

EU has stated that IF there is a test for residue they will accept the results.

Canada has an excellent reputation in its drug development and testing criterias.

But then the rest of the world knows that but we don't expect many Americans to know that. So now you do.

Thalidomide was rejected by Canada when the U.S. first introduced it. We discovered it caused deformities in test rats and while the U.S. pushed it through...it was NOT accepted into Canada. Still there were some doctors who imported it illegally for their patients with horrible results.

Why do folks not get extra jobs to pay for their horses?

Do you really think a horse slaughter decision is high on Obama's list of things to do just a few weeks before the election?

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    Why do folks not get extra jobs to pay for their horses?
    Because they're lazy and think that owning a horse (or any other animal) is a right...not a luxury that should be based on whether you can afford the feed, vet care, upkeep, euth and disposal if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    We received the information about the EU issuing a statement on Monday from Canada. And no, I'm not going to give you who they spoke to because when you reveal sources that ask to be anonymous, they stop talking to you.

There is countrywide confirmation in the US and from Richelieu and a source at the CFIA in Canada that the EU is no longer accepting shipments from Canada and Mexico. Believe it, don't believe it. In case you don't know who desBarres is, he works directly with the slaughter plants in Canada. If you don't want to believe him either, I don't know what will satsify you. We gave all the information we had. The haulers have stopped hauling and the auctions have stopped selling slaughter horses. I don't know how much more proof you need.

What we won't know until the EU issues a statement is why. We can speculate but we don't know.
    Ohh...get at her girls...when I said the same thing y"all jumped all over me...

Strange..I just spoke with a person connected with Mexico AND THAT IS STILL A RUMOR..and they did not arrive into any Canadian plants.

The haulers stopped based on a few unconfirmed rumours and it was a trucker who was turned back who called his suppliers and also the sales auctions.

THEY decided they would go on the safe side.

There are VERY FEW if ANY horses stuck on trucks. They are in the pastures they have been in WAITING to be loaded.

Bouvry plants have NOT been told they can no longer sell to the EU. Period. Guess DesBarres is WRONG.

They have been reading about this with NO confirmation from anyone. All rumour.

CFIA made the announcement that Brooks will reopen..also they are extending an investigation into a different plant. And yet..NO ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT A SLAUGHTER STOPPAGE.

Ok COTH Ladies...get after her...what is good for the gander must be good for the gander...or is this sexism at its worst...???

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    Do you really think a horse slaughter decision is high on Obama's list of things to do just a few weeks before the election?
    Gosh..it better be as he knows nothing about foreign policy and his story, compared to Hilary Clinton compared to Susan Rice clearly demonstrates that even a murder can not be agreed upon.

He might approach this to try and take the heat off..and besides..he doesn't need to know anything about the slaughter.

Never stopped him before

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    I suggest you call him straight away about this -- (Just Google him if you need his phone number)

He probably has no idea about the impending European horsemeat shortage; a crisis of monumental proportions.

If anyone can advise the President of the United States about how to prioritize International affairs, I'm confident you can.

Be sure to let us all know how your "phone call" goes -- ok?
    Gosh..he wants to know if you are still claiming to be his half sister...He had his records sealed and he can't seem to remember

Got butter on that???

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    Watching Fairfax meltdown... <munching popcorn - anybody like some?>

Note all the CAPS for added EMPHASIS --
    (just so you all know he's *really* serious this time.)

Like the woman who was crying because she had to send 200 yearlings to slaughter. Yearlings.

Quote Originally Posted by newhorsemommy View Post
    So let's assume it's a rumor, and all a big conspiracy on the part of the "animal rights activists..."

Am I incorrect in my reading/understanding that beginning in July, all horses slaughtered for consumption in the EU will need to have lifetime medical records provided? If so, how does opening plants in the US solve this little problem? Are they going to forge "passports" or start raising horses for meat? How many horses that ship to slaughter right now have lifetime veterinary records?

I would be thrilled with a passport ID system here in the US. It would provide a means of identification and ownership for those that own unregistered horses, and would presumably make theft, for any purpose, more difficult.

I have a hard time with the concept that everyone that sends their horses to slaughter (and I am talking about "average" horse owners here, not breeding operations) does so because they cannot afford euthanasia. Plenty of people just don't give a shit about animals, period. While I understand that it is an economic hardship for some, I doubt that is the case for the majority. Slaughter just provides them an easy way to pass off their responsibilities. They can usually pretend that's not where the horse ended up and they are financially rewarded at the same time.

.I just spoke with a person connected with Mexico
    One of my favorites!

Gosh..he wants to know if you are still claiming to be his half sister...He had his records sealed and he can't seem to remember
    Seriously?! That's the best you can do?

Still waiting for the info on all the hay banks you have established...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg