The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 341 to 348 of 348
  1. #341
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    4,020

    Default

    No no no - they'd be AGHASTED!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Either that mantra is so old it's obsolete or from another planet, "my right to use my property". We haven't had those "rights" for decades. We have had privileges like driving, and hunting. So far the the only "rights" are that we can OWN. We haven't in my lifetime been able to do as we please on our own property or with our own property. Check your state statutes. You'll be amused and surprised.



  2. #342
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    4,020

    Default

    This was posted today by Simone Netherlands.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TyU1...&feature=share



  3. #343
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2010
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You parrot animal rights extremist words and then wonder why you are considered one?

    "Humans eating toxic meat"?

    Really?

    Ok, maybe you don't understand the process of those that are providing what we eat to the rest of us.

    There are many laws and regulations, many government agencies overseeing them, individual protocols by producers, that insure best we can that what is offered to the public is as safe as we know how to make it.

    That is an ongoing, less than perfect process, but if you look back, we have today the safest, most aboundant and varied produce humanity ever had.

    Well, the same applies to horse meat, that is inspected and tested extensively.
    That meat has been sold for decades now and no one is dying like flies from eating it, or getting the dreaded purple polka dot disease either.

    Really.
    I would suggest you read the EU FVO reports because they don’t agree with you. Banned substances found in US horses slaughtered in Canada and Mexico and falsified paperwork. So where is the extensive testing. The report released last week on Mexico stated the health affidavits on US horses are not sufficient to meet EU standards. It is really humorous that you think the bottom feeding KBs that fill out the blank signed forms are actually getting accurate health information, especially from horses that have had multiple owners. I wonder where they get the information for the horses that were stolen. They’re supposed to be holding the horses for 180 days. And yet, there are truckloads going straight from the auctions to kill. Want to tell everyone again how highly regulated the horse meat industry is?

    Banned substances in horse meat makes it toxic. You can call us all the names you want but that doesn’t change the facts.



  4. #344
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    The silence is deafening and Jenm actually thanks Vicki for misinformation?

    That is more telling than anything i have read from Jenm.
    Damn! My critical thinking skills have been challenged. I had best go back to the two universities which granted me my undergraduate and graduate degrees and demand my money back for teaching me incorrect thinking skills....

    Quote Originally Posted by newhorsemommy View Post
    Are the lifetime veterinary records for 100,000 plus horses per year going to be forged?
    It's the slaughter industry, if there is enough demand for horse meat, records will be forged. If you don't believe me, look up the story of Cactus Cafe and Canuki.

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It makes no difference whether or not horse folk work together. When selling horses as meat becomes unprofitable, it will stop. That's largely out of our control.
    Selling horses as meat could become unprofitable if horse owners/breeders weren't giving away horses or dumping them at auctions. I disagree it's out of our control. Breed associations need to stop supporting slaughter and options such as euthanasia clinics should be supported.

    As long as slaughter is an option, horse folk won't work together because slaughter is the easy, irresponsible way to get rid of a horse.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg



  5. #345
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2005
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Damn! My critical thinking skills have been challenged. I had best go back to the two universities which granted me my undergraduate and graduate degrees and demand my money back for teaching me incorrect thinking skills....



    It's the slaughter industry, if there is enough demand for horse meat, records will be forged. If you don't believe me, look up the story of Cactus Cafe and Canuki.



    Selling horses as meat could become unprofitable if horse owners/breeders weren't giving away horses or dumping them at auctions. I disagree it's out of our control. Breed associations need to stop supporting slaughter and options such as euthanasia clinics should be supported.

    As long as slaughter is an option, horse folk won't work together because slaughter is the easy, irresponsible way to get rid of a horse.
    Selling my property in order to feed my family and pay my bills is irresponsible? Must be nice to be independantly wealthy.

    Go ahead and support euthanasia clinics. Pollute the land and water with chemicals. This is much better.
    I support equine meat processing as an option for those who choose to use it.



  6. #346
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderhorseguy View Post
    Selling my property in order to feed my family and pay my bills is irresponsible? Must be nice to be independantly wealthy.

    Go ahead and support euthanasia clinics. Pollute the land and water with chemicals. This is much better.
    Unless you are a breeder with a lot of horses to cull, you aren't going to get much for your horse from a KB or auction. If you really need to feed your family, you are better off slaughtering and eating your horses.

    That being said, why is selling to slaughter one's only option unless you have been breeding fuglys and have not trained them, which makes you irresponsible.

    You don't like the idea of horses being euthanized because of the chemicals, yet you are okay with the idea of chemical laden horse meat?

    Thousands and thousands of horses are put down each year with chemicals. As far as I know, there have been no environmental repercussions because for the most part, the horses are rendered, not buried.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg



  7. #347
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2005
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Unless you are a breeder with a lot of horses to cull, you aren't going to get much for your horse from a KB or auction. If you really need to feed your family, you are better off slaughtering and eating your horses.

    That being said, why is selling to slaughter one's only option unless you have been breeding fuglys and have not trained them, which makes you irresponsible.

    You don't like the idea of horses being euthanized because of the chemicals, yet you are okay with the idea of chemical laden horse meat?

    Thousands and thousands of horses are put down each year with chemicals. As far as I know, there have been no environmental repercussions because for the most part, the horses are rendered, not buried.
    Rendering is not available in many areas. Burial is not available in many areas. Yet you want to add 10's of thousands of horses to this number. Does not sound very smart to me.

    There are many environmental concerns with chemically euthanised horses. This is why you cannot bury them in many areas. Look at CA for an example.

    One family can only eat so much. A horse does not have to be a fugly to be unsaleable. This does not mean it has ever been given any bute or other chemicals. You assume every horse has been given bute with no data to back this up.

    Even getting $50 from a KB is better tha having to spend 100's of dollars to have a horse euthanised and then more to have it rendered. If you can find somebody who will take it. Once again slaughter is not the only option, but should be an option.

    Once again you are assuming everybody has unlimited resources to dispose of an animal. If a family has several horses and loses the source of income what should they do with an unsaleable animal(old, lame or just not useable)? They had palnned to keep this horse forever, being a caring family. They cannot sell or give the horse away. What should they do? Often it comes down to paying the mortgage or buying feed.
    I support equine meat processing as an option for those who choose to use it.



  8. #348
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2009
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    If that particular family is in N. Calif they can try calling Joe at TB Friends and get on the list. Perhaps a miracle will happen and he can place their horse(s). Stranger things have happened.

    Or in that same area there is a rescue that offers low cost euth for people in need.

    There are lots of alternatives to sending that old mare down the road if someone bothers to look.



Similar Threads

  1. Any rescues accepting horses? SE PA
    By Flying Hippotamus in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug. 13, 2011, 11:06 AM
  2. Selling young horses & accepting payment plans
    By Callaway in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Feb. 4, 2011, 07:12 AM
  3. houses & horses book?
    By t. nason in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
  4. Replies: 231
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2007, 12:42 PM
  5. American horses slaughtered in Mexico and Canada
    By onthebit12000 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 333
    Last Post: Feb. 6, 2007, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness