The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    You volunteered at a slaughter plant feed lot?

Odd. Who does that?
    Not strange at all

There were a group of us who read the pros and cons and viewed the tape that was presented as recent, showing abuse.

We went to Bouvry and asked for some information. They directed us to the RCMP who confirmed the tape was a dud and had been edited. They had confirmed from HR information that those shown had not worked at that plant in ten years.

We decided to see what we could do. We asked if we could be silent observers during kill time. We would not in any way be involved in the kill process.

As time evolved we were asked if we had any recommendations. And, we did. Chutes were changed, the workers were given incentives to try and diminish as much stress as they could etc.

We learned a lot about the process and it was NOT as presented by the anti slaughter crowd.

There are pastures where horses are free fed and they are green during the summer. Those horses imported that did not require slaughter within 96 hours actually have it pretty normal. They are out in the fields,,,mares due to foal do so and they are not disturbed by stallions as they are separated. The feed pens are spacious and the grain troughs are set at a correct height.

The only time there was an accident was when some PETA ladies asked if they could observe and they tossed firecrackers at the horses in the chute and then tried to film the panic. They had restraining orders placed against them and they are not even allowed to carry signs on the highway.

This was all volunteer and the program still runs There are over 30 volunteers. I drove two hours to get to the plant every week..we all paid our own expenses. I stopped in June due to my own workload with my own horses and the kennel

More law suits over internet postings? Sigh.

I was just hoping for some actual facts in this situation this morning ... no news?

Quote Originally Posted by vickitobin View Post
    Appear being the key word. Do you have any idea of how long it will take to test meat from every single horse? Their profits will nose dive and it will never happen. They won’t even slow down the lines to stun the horses properly. If anything, they’ll do random testing and the meat won’t be any safer than it is today. The only way to detect metabolites is by testing kidney tissue. You can’t do that with a live horse. Vet records from 6 months of age is the only way to guarantee food safety.

Unless something big happened, if a test was going to be ready in November, there wouldn’t have been a shutdown on Friday.
    I did not have all of the information correct. There will atually be a couple of tests. They have discovered a new test they will be able to use on the live animal as it arrives at the plant. I do not understand the process but it does NOT require kidney biopsy results. There is another test to cross reference and that will be applied to the actual product.

The date "suggested" for its release is November

The beauty of the test is its low cost and it will not be random.

While your information posted WAS accurate, as with many discoveries and or tests, they come about when a scientist is able to achieve results using different methods and or approaches. The EU has been very supportive of the ongoing results.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Because they're lazy and think that owning a horse (or any other animal) is a right...not a luxury that should be based on whether you can afford the feed, vet care, upkeep, euth and disposal if needed.
    Wow, I notice you didn't say "some" are that way, you insinuate that all who may be facing tough choices are lazy and without concern for their animals.

What if the difference is between feeding the horse they have been trying to get rid of for a long time and their kids?

What if they are located in an area where they can't even get an extra job flipping burgers?

What if their main job's hours are such that they cannot take another job, or that job poses restrictions on having other employment?

What if they have been trying to find decent homes for less-than-high-quality animals for a long period and are finally at the breaking point where something has to be done?

What if they don't have the $$ for euth and disposal because the kids/family needs that $$ to survive?

What if sudden expenses came up and the horse HAS to go now or starve?

There are plenty of people right now who when they purchased their horses where in quite different economic conditions. Many of those immediately started trying to make changes; place horses, move them to cheaper barns, etc. Some, for one reason or another, may not have gotten it done before the bottom completely gave way......but you consider them all lazy with bad judgement, wow.

I'm not saying that there aren't a@@holes out there that don't do right by their animals by choice, but there are plenty that are trying to do right but end up with few/no options. I for one count my blessings that I am not them instead of judging all without consideration of circumstances.

Pretty broad brush you're using there.

Finding a horse in the US that has never had bute would be like winning the lottery unless it is a feral mustang. Even my 18 month old had bute when she was being treated for cellulitis.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Finding a horse in the US that has never had bute would be like winning the lottery unless it is a feral mustang. Even my 18 month old had bute when she was being treated for cellulitis.
    If winning the lottery was this easy, I'd buy more tickets.

You know there are plenty of people out there who don't give bute like it is a sugar treat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I got lucky and recently placed two horses when my economic situation abruptly took a turn for the worse. They got a good home.

I am not lazy. Paying the rent and eating takes precedence over a horse, and when one day you can afford three horses and the next day you can't, well, hard choices need to be made. An extra job is about feeding your family, not trying to keep horses, when people lose a job or have a catastrophic event.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You may ought to consider taking that to the Moderators, as if he is stalking you, they will want to know.
    Then, your post there is not that nice, if not right down insulting.
    That last paragraph is even so below the belt and even accusatory in a way you better think again if that is the kind of personal attack you really want to post.

When some attack me, I can ignore it.
    When some go overboard dumping on others, no matter who they are, well, that just doesn't seem right, especially when there is many against one.
    Very poor sport that.
    I find it ironic that it is a small group who discover where I am posting and immediately come onto that thread in attack mode. While accusing me of stalking them may give them a victim card it most certainly is not true. Carol, who I have mentioned, a friend of Sheila's stated she was afraid to open her computer as she knew I was watching???? I made two posts only on her FB and left it alone as I know the individual and I also know she has never been able to develope any program.

I did confront AHA and their management for giving Carol the appearance that she had authority to act on behalf of the registration body when she was only a volunteer.

When I believe someone is unfairly targetted as a lady was by Carol, Sheila and many others who refused to believe any facts, then I took it upon myself to defend her. I do find it strange that while they were trying to destroy the life of a woman they accused me of trying to destroy them...as they were women.

I see no sense in answering any of these individuals. Falsie and many others decide they will join in on the school yard pile on as it makes them feel important.

I do believe there is a hatred and jealousy from these people as they never seem to spend any of their own money on a cuase while they demand others do. They rarely volunteer to make a difference and if asked about it they quit posting or claim the asker of proof is stalking them or it is none of their business. Meanwhile, they continue with their behind the scenes character assignation.

I watched as they repeatedly posted lie after lie and even after the court case, they continued. That will be addressed by the woman, her lawyers and the courts. The judge, after giving a review of the facts has stated they can proceed with his full attention..he now sees how HSUS, DEFHR and other agencies with the backing of several women attempted to destroy the life of a person.

I will no longer respond to any of these individuals. I believe you are correct in your advice. They should complain if they believe they are stalked. Facebook has a no stalking policy as does every forum...I think there is confusion...when I post against these women..on a forum..and I am accountable for my post as my name is ALWAYS provided when asked for then it would appear I am NOT a stalker. Can they make the same claim when Sheila, Abercrombie, Falsie, Lovie and a few others suddenly appear on a thread i have been posting on...attack me and call me names...and then claim THEY are the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

I watched as they repeatedly posted lie after lie and even after the court case, they continued. That will be addressed by the woman, her lawyers and the courts. The judge, after giving a review of the facts has stated they can proceed with his full attention..he now sees how HSUS, DEFHR and other agencies with the backing of several women attempted to destroy the life of a person.
    That is rich considering that woman [Parkinson] had several [about 10% of her entire herd] that was thin and ended up being put down at the advice of a Vet, and others who had not had hoof care, or been dewormed, or were in need of dental care, and were not even registered.
    So it was a conspiracy in which these women and organizations somehow stopped this woman from providing this routine caretaking of the horses she bred?
    Whatever else happened in that case, had the woman been taking care of her horses in the first place, none of it would have gone anywhere.
    She has herself to blame, but if she wants to remain in the spotlight for the neglect, so be it.

Yes, I realize that this is an anti-slaughter site, but the photos from New Holland today (which reflects the pulse of the industry, IMO) are interesting.

http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org...toppage_3.html

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Yes, I realize that this is an anti-slaughter site, but the photos from New Holland today (which reflects the pulse of the industry, IMO) are interesting.

http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org...toppage_3.html
    I think those pics are in fact from last night? The sale started about 2.5 hours ago, waiting to hear from anyone there what it looks like compared to an avg. Monday.

Thanks for the correction, Angela. Just passing on what I saw. Will be waiting to hear also.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    If winning the lottery was this easy, I'd buy more tickets.

You know there are plenty of people out there who don't give bute like it is a sugar treat!
    It doesn't have to have been given often, it has to have been given ONCE in the animals life. Do you have a horse in your barn that has never once been given a tab of bute? I do not. That could possibly change in the future as I now use previcox.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    More law suits over internet postings? Sigh.

I was just hoping for some actual facts in this situation this morning ... no news?
    No..this was not an internet situation. All of the ladies horses were seized, the county stopped her from selling any property, HSUS falsified information and some of the ladies who posted here actually inferred she was a Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dalhmer and other vile individuals. The courts tossed the charges and have opened a gateway for her to reclaim the over 1/2 million in legal costs.

Many of these ladies deleted their posts but it was too late as they had been "captured " to be used as evidence. Upon review the judge has agreed they were malicious in their intent. Now the decision as to whether or not to proceed with the same vengence against those women is in the hands of their victim...who I might add is a very compassionate person. I do not claim to know what she is going to do...but I do know HSUS and numerous other agencies will be gone after including named employees

This is the power HSUS and other groups have over so many who post on the internet..they get the posters to do their dirty work and they try and dodge behind the law to protect themselves. Every now and then, they error and are held accountable

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    That is rich considering that woman [Parkinson] had several [about 10% of her entire herd] that was thin and ended up being put down at the advice of a Vet, and others who had not had hoof care, or been dewormed, or were in need of dental care, and were not even registered.
    So it was a conspiracy in which these women and organizations somehow stopped this woman from providing this routine caretaking of the horses she bred?
    Whatever else happened in that case, had the woman been taking care of her horses in the first place, none of it would have gone anywhere.
    She has herself to blame, but if she wants to remain in the spotlight for the neglect, so be it.
    I am not going there. I will let that case resolve itself with its pending lawsuits and I will also wait until I read, first hand, from EU as to the decision.

I will not respond to any future posts by you

I see no sense in answering any of these individuals. Falsie and many others decide they will join in on the school yard pile on as it makes them feel important.

I do believe there is a hatred and jealousy from these people as they never seem to spend any of their own money on a cuase while they demand others do. They rarely volunteer to make a difference and if asked about it they quit posting or claim the asker of proof is stalking them or it is none of their business. Meanwhile, they continue with their behind the scenes character assignation.
    Thanks for the good laugh this morning... makes me feel important!! Ha... I only replied to your ERRORS... and by the way it is "To err is human" To error is not a verb.... yeah, that made me feel important...

You do not know me at all, and have no idea of the causes I do support or where I do volunteer because I don't blabber about it on Coth or on the internet. I don't need to feel important by saying what I do ... but you, on the other hand!

Don't you have horses and dogs you have to take care of? Instead of sharing your vast "knowledge" ...

Glad it's shut down, for so many reasons.

I am not going there. I will let that case resolve itself with its pending lawsuits and I will also wait until I read, first hand, from EU as to the decision.

I will not respond to any future posts by you

You already did.

On both points!

But if anyone wants the back story on this one just Google M Parkinson's name and the information and pictures are there incl the information that the owner pled guilty to 10 counts of neglect.

Conspiracy theory much? Everything is a conspiracy!
    That must be an exhausting way to live.

I have not located any changes to the EU or CFIA websites. Has anyone else received any information?

Okay, Fairfax. Here's your chance to redeem yourself or at least restore some of your credibility. It's 10:57 EDT here, so probably around 8:57 your time. Is Bouvy up and running (don't they like to get a good early start?) this morning? You said that there was a group of people who observed--what all have they heard or think? What do you get from all of your contacts that you mentioned? There must be at least some sort of information--pro or con--that is circulating around.

All we want is some sort of concrete, semi-contrete info--or even pure speculation would suffice--now that the working week has started.

Thanks in advance.

Ooops, saw above post. At any rate, any information would be appreciated.
    Last edited by betonbill; Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: saw above post/spelling