The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broken foot???

My lab bolted out of the house this afternoon and ran into the barn where my husband was working. He had a pitchfork but threw it down when Charlie ran in and tried to grab him. Charlie jumped around and my husband thinks he may have stepped on the end of the fork. He came in the house seemed fine but this evening is refusing to put weight on his left hind. The problem seems to be in the foot and not the leg.

There is some slight swelling, no wounds at all. Could he have broken it, sprianed it? He is a little more subdued than normal but is not screaming in pain. I am planning on taking him to the vet tomorrow if he does not seem any better.

What do they do for a broken foot or toe? Thanks!

Dogs are not very sensitive to tetanus, but if they get it, it is very serious, especially because vets don't catch on that is what it may be until too late.
    That is a warning our old vet used to give us.
    He learned that the hard way with a customer's hunting dog.

If your dog has any kind of puncture, it may have sealed over, from the pitchfork, mention that to your vet, as it may decide to be proactive, just in case.

Hoping all is ok, but if there is something, catching it early is always good.
    Better safe than sorry.

I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV.

Generally speaking though, a broken toe on a dog is going to be treated very similarly to a broken toe on a person--not much to do but anti inflammatories and rest.

Were you able to examine in between his toes for a puncture? Does he react at all when you're handling the foot? IE: can you isolate the painful part?

He very well could have sprained something as well...ice wouldn't hurt in either case.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I have not found any puncture wounds so far. I did find the sore area and it is on the inside of the foot, it is more swollen there. He has been resting and is putting more wieght on it but is still very lame. Hopefully, he strained it being a nutcase. I will see how he is in the morning and if he is not any better off we go to the vet. I will let y'all know what the vet says! Thanks for the info in tetnus Bluey. I will be sure to ask the vet.

When my doberman broke his toe we were told to put it in a supportive bandage for a week or 2 (some padding then vet wrap, tight enough to be of a bit of support yet loose enough not to cut off circulation) Then just trying to keep him more still and not jumping or running.

Ok, this morning he is putting weight on it, YAY!! He is also not whimpering when I press on it. His foot his still slightly swollen but he was back to his normal self otherwise. I am going to give it a day or two before I take him to the vet since he his a lot more comfortable and is now bearing weight. He may have sprained it in all his I am free glory! Still no wound so I do not think the pitch fork did any damage.

Hopefully, another day of rest and he will be fine!

Good news! Jingles for a speedy recovery.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...