The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

OP, from your original post, I also thought that he had only come for one month. I think it was the way you said that he paid for "a month of board" as opposed to "his board for October" or something else. I did read later down that you said he was staying a few months, but the original post is a little open to interpretation.

Don't worry about our resident rum.

Did I miss the answer to 'what does the contract say'?

Unless there is a hardship, if the contract says '30 days notice,' that is what I'd go with. People usually respect people (and businesses) with limits. Having said that, the idea of a 'trainer or facility credit' is kind and propagates good-will toward a neighbor equestrian. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    You apparently can't even accurately post what's actually going on in this situation. It seems to change from post to post. Now it's 7 days into the SECOND month that he's paid for that he's leaving (or left)?
    I think you are the one with the problem, read the quote below that came from the second page of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    Horse came Sept 1st and they are building a barn which should be done end of this month.
    And it has been discussed since then that this was the boarders second month and they paid on time.

To me the OPs biggest issue was how notice was given not that notice was given.
    I think since texting has become a pretty normal way to communicate now days most people do not think anything of texting another person with information. I am highly doubting the horse owner in this case even slightly thinks him texting you was an issue.

Re: texting, I personally don't care what form of communication boarders use, as long as they communicate enough information that I can do my job. It's primarily a business relationship, not a friendship. And when someone leaves, it isn't a breakup. It's just someone choosing to do something different and I don't care if they email or text or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    If I were you I would treat the remaining October board as payment in lieu of 30 days notice, which means the ex-boarder still owes you 7 days board. You can let her know you are waiving the additional 7 days.
    That's probably what I would do as well. Given the high rate of non-payment that seems to happen in the boarding business as it is, I'd be glad that the month was paid, and I wouldn't quibble over the 7 days that the boarder technically owed me.

I would only consider refunding if I filled the vacancy left by the previous boarder within the time frame that was paid for.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

One thing to remember, since this person is new to the horse world, is that your are "training" them for future business encounters in the world. I.e. if you do her favors by waiving fees, she may come to expect it. Personally, I would firmly but fairly hold her to the contract, while letting her know how much you appreciate her business.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

I knew the horse was probably leaving mid month and before he paid for the month I said to him "if you get your barn done we can do the remainder in lesson credits". So that may be where he came up with it, but I did point out to him he forfeited the contract by just up and leaving and not giving me any notice at all.
    I don't understand the "forfeiting the contract" part; you knew, while having this discussion, that they would move the horse mid-month (and were apparently okay with it), and initiated talk of lesson credit. They moved the horse about a week earlier than expected (although some would consider anything between the end of the 1st week and beginning of the 4th week mid-month). I can see a misunderstanding about the week (+ or -) difference (less credit since you expected the horse gone mid-month, not end of first week), but not the "no notice" part.

Did you explain to them when offering credit that it would be figured on your daily rate rather than the monthly rate they were paying? If you hadn't, I could see them "correcting" what they thought was incorrect math, not realizing you were using a different rate.

I can also see someone who had a different perception/understanding of the above conversation becoming defensive when approached about their "bad behavior"; they likely thought you knew the horse was leaving quite soon and thought they were being decent about letting you know the horse was gone so you wouldn't panic. And I can see texting someone if I knew they were at a show; you don't want that phone to ring/vibrate at an inconvenient time.

As they are newer horse owners, if the discussion with them included how notice works, and that they must let you know 30 days in advance of the horse leaving even though you know the horse is only there a couple months at the most, how the credit you offered would be figured and how it could be used, and that partial months were figured at a different rate I can see being upset with their attitude. If this wasn't made clear, I'd chalk it up to experience.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Show me where I ever said he left the first month he boarded here? I always said he left 7 days into the month of October. But you are a smart a$$!
    I'm not going to wade back through all your posts, but you did indeed give the distinct impression that the boarder left after 7 days. I don't recall anywhere that you stated that he'd paid for two months in advance and left seven days into the second month, and I did read all of your posts.

And I agree with Bacardi that you need to find another business; you're not cut out for boarding. Or teaching, it seems. Since you seem to think that this kid coming back to take her lesson credit is nothing more than "just one more body in the ring", instead of money out of your pocket, I respectfully suggest that you find another way to make a living.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I'm not going to wade back through all your posts, but you did indeed give the distinct impression that the boarder left after 7 days. I don't recall anywhere that you stated that he'd paid for two months in advance and left seven days into the second month, and I did read all of your posts.

And I agree with Bacardi that you need to find another business; you're not cut out for boarding. Or teaching, it seems. Since you seem to think that this kid coming back to take her lesson credit is nothing more than "just one more body in the ring", instead of money out of your pocket, I respectfully suggest that you find another way to make a living.
    Post 36 says: Boarder's daughter has taken lessons for a little over a year. Horse came Sept 1st and they are building a barn which should be done end of this month. So this was not a long term boarder, but they left via text 7 days into the month. Asked me to use "credit" to pay for a blanket they wanted me to pick up. Which really that is money out of my pocket.

Oh since you suggested, I'll just quit right now and move on. You must be so good at YOUR job, bet you are a feel good teacher or something along those lines, cause you are GREAT at making people feel positive! Good for you!

Having one extra rider when there are three already is not really "money out of my pocket". Because I'm willing to WORK with a boarder and not be a nasty A$$ like yourself you are belittling my ability to teach and board? My post was about the APPROPRIATENESS of texting to end a contract and IF it wasn't, should I be obligated to fulfill the contract or to work with the boarder.

I think because this is a small world and the relationship in the past has been nice, I will work with the boarder. I think now he knows that texting is not something I find appropriate and I doubt in the future he will do that. His wife actually emailed me today, and I"m pretty sure she is unaware of what unfolded. She's been more then nice and we had a nice conversation later today. I think I'm going to do what I would want someone to do for me at the end of the day. I'm going to treat someone how I'd hope to be treated. Maybe he did it on purpose? if that is the case he will move on and this won't be an issue. if it was merely a misunderstanding I would hate to lose future income from lessons. The little girl is a great kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    WOW!!! That is some nerve! They broke their contract, and are now trying to dictate how they should get their "refund," plus changing your rates?! Not cool.

I would NOT buy them the blanket and would not refund any money. Just hand them the contract they signed and, like someone else mentioned, inform them that, while they really were required to give you 30 days notice and should therefore owe YOU money, you are willing to let that slide. Say it politely with a smile and go on your merry way. You don't foresee them bringing you any business in the future, and simply holding them to their contract is beyond fair.

Don't let these people walk all over you!
    this

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Oh since you suggested, I'll just quit right now and move on. You must be so good at YOUR job, bet you are a feel good teacher or something along those lines, cause you are GREAT at making people feel positive! Good for you!
    Thanks!

Having one extra rider when there are three already is not really "money out of my pocket".
    Well, actually, that's EXACTLY what it is; money out of your pocket if that rider isn't paying. The fact that that has to be explained to you, doesn't bode well for your success in the boarding business, since profit margins are thin enough to see through under the best of circumstances, and you seem to have no trouble throwing what little profit margin you might have, out the window. Let me know how that works for you.

Because I'm willing to WORK with a boarder and not be a nasty A$$ like yourself you are belittling my ability to teach and board?[/quote]

Awww - poor baby. Is having money matters explained to you the act of someone being a "nasty A$$"? Best grow yourself a thicker skin then; if you have friends in the business, you'll probably hear the same from them - repeatedly.

My post was about the APPROPRIATENESS of texting to end a contract and IF it wasn't, should I be obligated to fulfill the contract or to work with the boarder.
    And your post was also about knuckling under to, and making excuses for the boarder who treated you so shabbily, to the point that he bullied you into ignoring your own contract, and changing the rules for these folks. Sorry, but that doesn't bode well for your future in your chosen business.

I think because this is a small world and the relationship in the past has been nice, I will work with the boarder. I think now he knows that texting is not something I find appropriate and I doubt in the future he will do that. His wife actually emailed me today, and I"m pretty sure she is unaware of what unfolded.
    No, sweetie - she knows exactly "what has unfolded, and has probably had a good laugh at your expense with cop hubbie about how easily manipulated you are. And if you want to run a real business, the first thing you do is stop laying down for people like this and show them the door.

She's been more then nice and we had a nice conversation later today.
    Well, of course she's been nice - why on earth shouldn't she be? She's bullied you into not enforcing your contract, and even conned you into thinking that you'll still get paid when you give her daughter lessons. Good luck with that.

I think I'm going to do what I would want someone to do for me at the end of the day. I'm going to treat someone how I'd hope to be treated. Maybe he did it on purpose? if that is the case he will move on and this won't be an issue. if it was merely a misunderstanding I would hate to lose future income from lessons. The little girl is a great kid!
    You don't get it at all. You've already lost income. And it's not going to get any better, at least with this bunch.

But hey - let ol' nasty A$$ ESG not spoil the surprise for you; when they make further arrangements to use your services in future, and then don't pay you for t hose, either. I won't ask you to embarrass yourself by posting here when they do, but trust me; it will happen.

Carry on.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I knew the horse was probably leaving mid month and before he paid for the month I said to him "if you get your barn done we can do the remainder in lesson credits". So that may be where he came up with it
    I missed this before. This changes my view of the matter.

No, sweetie - she knows exactly "what has unfolded, and has probably had a good laugh at your expense with cop hubbie about how easily manipulated you are. And if you want to run a real business, the first thing you do is stop laying down for people like this and show them the door.
    Actually she doesn't know, and I know that for a fact. But you must know both of them better then anyone.

My time is my money. If I work for one hour, it's no harder for me to have four kids in a lesson then two. It doesn't take me any longer to teach four, same amount of time, same amount of effort. Perhaps you think if I have more students my lessons are longer?

It all comes down to goodwill at this point. Obviously you've never worked with someone.

But hey - let ol' nasty A$$ ESG not spoil the surprise for you; when they make further arrangements to use your services in future, and then don't pay you for t hose, either. I won't ask you to embarrass yourself by posting here when they do, but trust me; it will happen.
    They have NEVER not paid. I didn't ask for any additional money from them. They paid for October board, and left Oct 7th. They didn't NOT pay. As I've not asked for Nov 1-7 they are not "sneaking" out of paying. I'm sure if I said no credit at all they would accept that, but I think I'm going to work with them, and be clear I'm doing it because they've always been good clients in the past. I'm erring on the side that he didn't think texting was a big deal. He knows now because I've told him.

Wink

Can only guess that ESG is giving herself a wedgie over something that happened to her in the past that bears a slight resemblance to your situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Can only guess that ESG is giving herself a wedgie over something that happened to her in the past that bears a slight resemblance to your situation?
    Bwwaaaa!!!

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Halteralter98 (and others),

Can you please explain why you feel the contract has been broken and that the HO could be liable for more funds or have lost the credit offered?

In a normal instance where a boarder you thought was staying for multiple more months I could understand being upset at someone leaving early in a month, but this is not the case as I understand it.

You knew, as I quoted above, that the horse was already leaving sometime during that month; wouldn't that constitute notice? In other words, you were already expecting that empty stall for part of that month and the next month, isn't that notice?

You offered credit in the form of lessons since they had paid for the entire month; they didn't pull that idea out of a hat.

I just don't understand the amount of "charge them more", "they owe you", "how dare they ask for credit" comments on this thread,
    when, again, the BO knew the horse was leaving during that month and the BO offered lesson credit for the difference between the full month board and what was used.

Could someone explain to a (luckily non-boarding at the moment) HO the venom toward the HO in this?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post

Could someone explain to a (luckily non-boarding at the moment) HO the venom toward the HO in this?
    No venom towards the horse owners here.

I personally think there is a big difference between a barn owner giving you a break because you are trying to get your home property all set and that might happen mid month but you are not really sure and a horse owner leaving mid month to go to a different boarding barn.

The former is the BO being understanding to how construction works.

My post was about the APPROPRIATENESS of texting to end a contract and IF it wasn't, should I be obligated to fulfill the contract or to work with the boarder.
    THAT'S what this whole post has been about?

If you require boarders to follow a specific protocol when giving notice, you'll have to put that in your contract.

"Please be advised that notification via text message, email, Facebook, etc. will NOT be considered 'proper notice' and therefore any terms will be null and void. Only face to face and/or telephone calls will be acceptable."

Good grief!