The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 138
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2010
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I totally agree.

    You could always bill them for a blanket in leiu of the 7 days of board in November. 9 x 7= 63 so maybe it'll have to be a sheet
    Thanks guys, you at least make me feel like I'm not being unreasonable to be upset that this happened. I had a boarder put a horse down 2/3rds through the month. Now she of course didn't need to give notice, it was planned though. She never asked for any return. Though I think she appreciated I allowed her to bury him on the farm.

    I really think for the boarder it was a mileage thing, a quick offer at a barn closer and he figured he'd just use the credit. I think he didn't think there would be an issue. But when I approached him about the unprofessionalism in texting and him breaking the contract he sort of went off the deep end a bit. Nothing horrible, but pointing out that they help me out once in a while when they come to the barn, watering etc. Well I help everyone out too! Many of my boarders can't saddle their own horses (small children) and mom can't either, so I help catch, groom, tack all before the lesson. I never ask for a penny as we are all friends and I appreciate that they help me out time and again with small things too!

    I just hate for a good relationship for a year to end this way which is why I offered the lesson credit. I'm sure any BO around here would back me up on my 30 days notice, but do I want him badmouthing me to NON horse people? That is where I'm stuck.

    I was more upset by the texting to communicate and wondered if maybe today that is acceptable? I don't text much and just got a cell phone last year!



  2. #82
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    OP - I don't mean this as insulting, but perhaps boarding isn't the business for you. While this current issue isn't even the remotest ugliest that could happen, you appear stymied & easily bullied into doing things that legally you do not have to do. Heck, you can't even seem to be able to enforce your own contract. Lesson credits????? For board $$ that you're legally entitled to???

    Nothing wrong with that. One reason why - even though asked several times - that I WILL NOT DO BOARDING. Don't want to deal with it. Ever. Yes - some people are nice & responsible; but it's an unfortunate fact that far too many others are wolves in sheeps clothing, & I'm way, way beyond wanting to wade through the sheep.



  3. #83
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2010
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Heck, you can't even seem to be able to enforce your own contract. Lesson credits????? For board $$ that you're legally entitled to???
    I knew the horse was probably leaving mid month and before he paid for the month I said to him "if you get your barn done we can do the remainder in lesson credits". So that may be where he came up with it, but I did point out to him he forfeited the contract by just up and leaving and not giving me any notice at all. I have many other boarders that I have no issues with. I work full time on opposite schedule as my husband. So someone is there for the horses. Everyone else is happy and we are happy. I'm not upset at all by this. I actually have the attitude to just sweep him under the carpet and forget about him if this is the way things are now. I mean I don't need friends like that that try to dictate what my daily rate is and what is owed to them.

    I guess i just feel badly if there is an honest misunderstanding. You can all sit there all day and say "no he's bullying you" but unless you are him, you don't know what he's thinking and the ones replying are used to contracts in the horse world. So it's hard to say what he's thinking!

    The basis is it's 200.00, in my eyes it's not worth it after reading everyone's comments to try to get more from him when A-it's a small world and a small area and B- until this they have been super helpful and good friends. If it was 500 or so, then yes probably, but I just don't think for 200 it's worth the hassle. If she lessons, she will ride and bring her own horse and ride with others. So I don't lose any time there. It's just one more body in the ring!



  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    I knew the horse was probably leaving mid month and before he paid for the month I said to him "if you get your barn done we can do the remainder in lesson credits". So that may be where he came up with it, but I did point out to him he forfeited the contract by just up and leaving and not giving me any notice at all. I have many other boarders that I have no issues with. I work full time on opposite schedule as my husband. So someone is there for the horses. Everyone else is happy and we are happy. I'm not upset at all by this. I actually have the attitude to just sweep him under the carpet and forget about him if this is the way things are now. I mean I don't need friends like that that try to dictate what my daily rate is and what is owed to them.

    I guess i just feel badly if there is an honest misunderstanding. You can all sit there all day and say "no he's bullying you" but unless you are him, you don't know what he's thinking and the ones replying are used to contracts in the horse world. So it's hard to say what he's thinking!

    The basis is it's 200.00, in my eyes it's not worth it after reading everyone's comments to try to get more from him when A-it's a small world and a small area and B- until this they have been super helpful and good friends. If it was 500 or so, then yes probably, but I just don't think for 200 it's worth the hassle. If she lessons, she will ride and bring her own horse and ride with others. So I don't lose any time there. It's just one more body in the ring!
    But again - as I think I posted before - what you do with this guy is & most likely WILL set a precedent for your other boarders. And don't think they don't know what's going on. Perhaps not in full detail, but the gist.

    Regardless of what you do with this particular yahoo, at least seriously think about going over your current boarding contract with a fine-tooth comb, revamping it, & getting ALL your current boarders to sign it.

    Of course, if you already have a terrific & solid boarding contract & are just allowing this one boarder to screw with it, that's a problem you've made yourself. Again - could come back to bite you in the a**. As in everyone may want "lesson credit" or some other type of credit if they've paid in advance but want to leave early.



  5. #85

    Default

    Realistically, you're out one week's board, or $50. While I am not condoning your ex boarder's behavior, is it really worth going after someone for $50 as some posters have suggested? Plus, you don't have the expense of feeding his horse for 3 weeks, which would easily equal or exceed $50.

    I personally wouldn't give the guy credit since he violated the terms of your boarding contract, I would just call it a cheap lesson in being in the boarding business.

    I've found that some people will take advantage of you as much as you allow.



  6. #86
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Location
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    I knew the horse was probably leaving mid month and before he paid for the month I said to him "if you get your barn done we can do the remainder in lesson credits". So that may be where he came up with it, but I did point out to him he forfeited the contract by just up and leaving and not giving me any notice at all. I have many other boarders that I have no issues with. I work full time on opposite schedule as my husband. So someone is there for the horses. Everyone else is happy and we are happy. I'm not upset at all by this. I actually have the attitude to just sweep him under the carpet and forget about him if this is the way things are now. I mean I don't need friends like that that try to dictate what my daily rate is and what is owed to them.
    I'm willing to bet he understood this as "If you leave earlier we can do the remainder in lesson credits".

    So the only difference is about one week and where the horse is going. If he had told you he was taking the horse to his own property early, would it change what you had told him regarding the credits?



  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb. 1, 2001
    Location
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less
    Posts
    11,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    Thanks guys, you at least make me feel like I'm not being unreasonable to be upset that this happened. I had a boarder put a horse down 2/3rds through the month. Now she of course didn't need to give notice, it was planned though. She never asked for any return. Though I think she appreciated I allowed her to bury him on the farm.

    I really think for the boarder it was a mileage thing, a quick offer at a barn closer and he figured he'd just use the credit. I think he didn't think there would be an issue. But when I approached him about the unprofessionalism in texting and him breaking the contract he sort of went off the deep end a bit. Nothing horrible, but pointing out that they help me out once in a while when they come to the barn, watering etc. Well I help everyone out too! Many of my boarders can't saddle their own horses (small children) and mom can't either, so I help catch, groom, tack all before the lesson. I never ask for a penny as we are all friends and I appreciate that they help me out time and again with small things too!

    I just hate for a good relationship for a year to end this way which is why I offered the lesson credit. I'm sure any BO around here would back me up on my 30 days notice, but do I want him badmouthing me to NON horse people? That is where I'm stuck.

    I was more upset by the texting to communicate and wondered if maybe today that is acceptable? I don't text much and just got a cell phone last year!
    Well, I think you were smart about how you handled things, personally. You were generous and nice despite the boarder handling things kind of poorly, and hopefully that good will come back to you.

    To those who are calling for blood, LOL, it would seem that there was some discussion of offering lesson credits to the boarder in the event that he had an opportunity to move the horse before the anticipated end of the contract, and it's not unreasonable to see how that could be interpreted in this situation. That doesn't mean the door is wide open for others to plow through; this boarding circumstance was never meant as a permanent arrangement to begin with, and the BO certainly has the right to handle that sort of situation with some flexibility if they so desire.

    Meanwhile - with respect to texting, sigh, I'm afraid a lot of people seem to really prefer communicating that way these days. I consider myself fairly technology literate, but I personally HATE texting, and avoid it whenever possible. However, much of the rest of the world seems to view it as the ultimate way to communicate and I doubt any disrespect was intended.
    **********
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina



  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2010
    Location
    Satan's Steam Sauna
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    Actually two posters have mentioned that 200 a month doesn't really cut it. But it's turnout board. Yes I agree his treatment is not fair. I've never said it was! I do think he's delusional about things. It's not cool to text something like this to anyone. And we had a good relationship before. Obviously this has put a damper in it. I've not contacted him all week.
    Sorry, I was not trying to say the $200 / month was or was not cutting it; because I had no idea what the $200 / month included. I was genuinely curious and just mentally trying to compare the time, money, and effort that I spend keeping my 2 at home in an inexpensive area where I have grass pasture most of the year. I have never boarded my horses; but I WILL be boarding them in the future. $200 seemed low to me based on options I have considered in Rhode Island, Northern Virginia, and down here in MS / New Orleans area. But the options I was considering included some amount of stall time - as well as riding facilities. My best "deal" was w/ a friend I've known for 20 years who breeds horses in northern Virginia, and she had a 3 acre pasture w/ a run-in that my horses could use exclusively for a few months over the summer while I was in the process of moving; and very special friend rate was $500 for both -- only for short term during summer while grass pasture was available; and I thought then and still do that that was a great bargain considering that the value of her time and space and the value to me of knowing they were in a good place w/ a trusted friend who would take care of them very well and have eyes on them throughout the day.

    I can't imagine taking on the responsibility of an outside horse and their person and all of the potential liability / drama that would go with that for $200 per month; so I hope the other boarders appreciate you.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing



  9. #89
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2004
    Location
    King, NC
    Posts
    1,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    But when I approached him about the unprofessionalism in texting and him breaking the contract he sort of went off the deep end a bit.

    I just hate for a good relationship for a year to end this way which is why I offered the lesson credit.
    This wasn't a "good" relationship. This was you taking anything and everything his way ... until you didn't.

    People who are in "good" relationships with you don't go off the deep end AT ALL when they have been rude (says he is taking horse for a bit, then never comes back??) (texting no personal contact?) (wants you to pay out for a blanket instead of credit?). People in "good" relationships APOLOGIZE when the other person is upset, even if they aren't in agreement with the why and they do it just because they don't want their friend upset.

    He used you. And if you have some sort of personal relationship,which it kind of sounds like you might in some of your posts, I would say I am sorry but that also may be over.

    Since you offered lesson credit I would explain that is credit for 1/2 off each lesson until used up; for whatever total you decide. That way you still get some $$ each lesson and yet they can feel they got something for the unused board

    How he reacts to that offer will tell you an awful lot about what kind of relationship you had. And also what kind you may have going forward.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!



  10. #90
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2010
    Location
    Satan's Steam Sauna
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Well, I think you were smart about how you handled things, personally. You were generous and nice despite the boarder handling things kind of poorly, and hopefully that good will come back to you.

    To those who are calling for blood, LOL, it would seem that there was some discussion of offering lesson credits to the boarder in the event that he had an opportunity to move the horse before the anticipated end of the contract, and it's not unreasonable to see how that could be interpreted in this situation. That doesn't mean the door is wide open for others to plow through; this boarding circumstance was never meant as a permanent arrangement to begin with, and the BO certainly has the right to handle that sort of situation with some flexibility if they so desire.

    Meanwhile - with respect to texting, sigh, I'm afraid a lot of people seem to really prefer communicating that way these days. I consider myself fairly technology literate, but I personally HATE texting, and avoid it whenever possible. However, much of the rest of the world seems to view it as the ultimate way to communicate and I doubt any disrespect was intended.
    Lucassb --

    I will speak for myself - but I strongly suspect others also -- OP's description of the problem evolved over time w/ significant changes in random short term boarder / police boarder / very close friend boarder who was committed until the end of October / committed until mid month / committed until barn finished.

    Personally, I am used to negotiating individualized customized deals w/ each client in my professional experience in leasing commercial real estate and in providing tutoring; and there was never any drama over somebody getting a different rate. The pricing was based on current market, supply / demand, length of agreement, payment terms -- and in the case of renewals the PITA factor absolutely came into play; because if I am spending 80% of my time dealing with 20% of my clients who are just continually high maintenance; uh, those 20% are going to pay the PITA surcharge. But, I dealt with mature professional business people in commercial real estate; and HIGHLY screened mature professional parents as a tutor.

    Being a barn owner / barn manager sounds a little too much like my years teaching public middle school - plus all the work involved in taking care of horses and the bonus of extra parent / teen drama w/ the imminent threat of mutiny if a hint of "unfairness" is created.

    Bless you Barn Owners / Managers; and I hope the boarders realize that you could be doing a lot less and making a lot more.

    I am also really contemplating whether I have the temperment to deal w/ a boarding environment. Wishing Bacardi lived in Rhode Island
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing



  11. #91
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2012
    Location
    South Range, WI
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I'm a brand new boarder (owned horses for over 20 years, kept them on my parents' property) and even I'm familiar with the standard "30 days notice" clause" involved. (And for the record, my barn charges $200 per month for pasture board, $275 for box stall board).

    My BO's contract actually includes a "deposit" of one month's board, to be returned if 30 days notice is given. She said she'd been burned too many times. In one instance, she had recently turned down a boarder because she was full, only to have a current boarder pull out and leave with no notice a week later. So, she had turned down a prospective boarder and lost income, all because someone didn't bother to give notice.

    The situation in the OP (actually, the situation that unfolded as the post went on... because we really weren't given all of the info from the start) seems a bit different. This is a horse that was only going to be there for 30 days, if that. So, in actuality, the "30 days notice" was given the day the horse set foot on the property.

    The fact that the boarder was told that lesson credit could be given if they left early (actually, if the barn was finished early, but the reason is moot, IMO) means that lesson credit should be given because the boarder left early. IMO it was rude of the boarder to leave for a different barn, and rude to text.

    I don't think this sets any precedent because this boarder was a unique situation. You had a separate agreement with him from the get go. IMO, he shouldn't have even signed your "normal" contract... I likely would've just created a new contract just for the situation.

    So, my opinion is that you DO hold up to your word and give lesson credit in exchange for the rest of the month's board. If you don't, there is a good chance you'll lose a lesson client. I would NOT, however, give "blanket credit."



  12. #92
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2012
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Personally, if a boarder wanted to leave after 7 days I would probably refund pro rata-good riddance -but if someone came and got their horse 7 days in when I was not there and sent a text like that I would be pissed. RUDE.

    I might still refund pro rata just to be rid of them but would have nothing more to do with them.DONE.

    And yes I have refunded board just to get rid of people I don't want in my barn.



  13. #93
    Join Date
    Jan. 23, 2011
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Credit?! HA!

    They'd be lucky to not get a bill for failing to give me 30 days notice!
    Typical BO.



  14. #94
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2010
    Posts
    46

    Default

    There is confusion. Horse did not leave after 7 days. He left 7 days into the SECOND month. Horse was to be there at least 60 days from the start as they were building their own barn. Could have been longer. So he didnt just leave after 7 days and there was no fall out, nothing, as I said we talked Saturday and Friday he was out to spend time with the horse and I even helped him with him.

    I like the idea of the 1/2 credit on each lesson, but then again, if they are going to move on I'd rather them do it now then drag it out.

    I have said I was sorry if there was any misunderstanding on my part to him, about three times to him because I'm sorry can go a long way. Unfortunately I did not get "I'm sorry for being brief and texting". Lesson learned in life about "friends" I guess.



  15. #95
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    There is confusion. Horse did not leave after 7 days. He left 7 days into the SECOND month. Horse was to be there at least 60 days from the start as they were building their own barn. Could have been longer. So he didnt just leave after 7 days and there was no fall out, nothing, as I said we talked Saturday and Friday he was out to spend time with the horse and I even helped him with him.

    I like the idea of the 1/2 credit on each lesson, but then again, if they are going to move on I'd rather them do it now then drag it out.

    I have said I was sorry if there was any misunderstanding on my part to him, about three times to him because I'm sorry can go a long way. Unfortunately I did not get "I'm sorry for being brief and texting". Lesson learned in life about "friends" I guess.
    Geez. Now I REALLY don't think you should be a boarding-barn owner. You yourself don't seem to know what's going on from your posts here - lol!!! You apparently can't even accurately post what's actually going on in this situation. It seems to change from post to post. Now it's 7 days into the SECOND month that he's paid for that he's leaving (or left)? Are you sure? Have you checked the stall? Lol!!!! Maybe we should be rooting for the guy pulling his horse out of your place? That there's more to the story than you're telling?

    Will be interesting to see where your business is 10 years from now.
    Last edited by Bacardi1; Oct. 15, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: q



  16. #96
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    4,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    I don't think the ex boarder feels $$ is due----she paid in full and left on her own accord.
    Agree ask her but w/ a do you want a credit..not do you want $$$..open door a crack see what response you get.



  17. #97
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2010
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Geez. Now I REALLY don't think you should be a boarding-barn owner. You yourself don't seem to know what's going on from your posts here - lol!!! You apparently can't even accurately post what's actually going on in this situation. It seems to change from post to post. Now it's 7 days into the SECOND month that he's paid for that he's leaving (or left)? Are you sure? Have you checked the stall? Lol!!!! Maybe we should be rooting for the guy pulling his horse out of your place? That there's more to the story than you're telling?

    Will be interesting to see where your business is 10 years from now.
    Show me where I ever said he left the first month he boarded here? I always said he left 7 days into the month of October. But you are a smart a$$!



  18. #98
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2010
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Have you checked the stall?
    Don't need to check the stall, of course you've missed the multiple times I've said the horses is on turnout board. Maybe you are related to the boarder! He can't read and neither can you!



  19. #99
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    Don't need to check the stall, of course you've missed the multiple times I've said the horses is on turnout board. Maybe you are related to the boarder! He can't read and neither can you!
    HalterAlter for the win! I think I'll go to the end of my driveway and bang some pots and pans together



  20. #100
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2010
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    HalterAlter for the win! I think I'll go to the end of my driveway and bang some pots and pans together
    Oh thank you. I will admit I was getting a little snarky but the downright nasty post put me over the edge. I am NEVER like that!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: May. 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jul. 3, 2011, 11:22 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: Sep. 18, 2010, 04:44 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: May. 18, 2010, 10:19 AM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Feb. 28, 2009, 12:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •