The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Updated!! Cross Post...need better brand sheet/blanket ideas please!!

Really need help for one of my horses. Currently in a 82" Baker, but when he puts his head down to eat it puts a lot of pressure on his withers and across his chest. Going up a size, the sheet just slides back a little further then does the exact same thing.

Is there a better brand of sheet and turnout blanket that would give him a more comfortable fit? He is built stout all around and is 16 HH. He would really appreciate the help!

UPDATE!

After unsuccessful efforts with the Dover IR ( I even got the warmblood special fit one!) and the Rhino blankets I finally have a winner! I think Lucasb first suggested the Schneider Blanket and I wish I had started there!! It fits him perfectly with no pulling in the chest or on the withers and after just one week in the blanket he has stopped pinning his ears when I show up in his stall with a blanket in my arms. So FYI if you have a tank of a horse, the V fit blanket by Schneiders just might be the ticket for you!
    Last edited by Ponyclubrocks; Dec. 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Update

Do you mean the Baker turnout? I've found they do fit a little weird in front, like they only suit horses with more of an upright neck.

Lots of options out there...I personally like Rambo, but I also have Turtleneck and Pessoa blankets that I like. The newer Pessoa turnouts have an elastic insert at the sides of the neck opening that allows it to give, and I really liked the fit of that one. Turtleneck has an elastic sort of neck that prevents rubbing and those have worked well for some of mine. I tend to use Rambo the most as they have been durable for me and I hate mucking around with leg straps.

I prefer Rambo and Rhino.

Thank you for the input, sadly he has all three Bakers; stable sheet, turnout sheet and heavyweight turnout blanket. Both of the sheets seem to fit worse than the blanket. Hopefully they will fit my other horse!

I used to love Rambos, but find that the newer models are way too over engineered (at least they do still sell the classics, but I wish they made/sold a Wug classic).

I have become a HUGE fan of the Smartpak brand blankets. They fit great, wear really well, have a great price tag, and their "Ultimate" comes with 10 year guarantee. The front on the traditional cut rugs is very roomy (more so, I think, than Rambo/Rhino/Amigo). My horse prefers his high neck version, though (he doesn't like things pressing or pulling on the top of his withers).

My mare also has issues with a Baker pulling on her withers. Perhaps it's a bit big on her, but I end up not using it.

I like Rambo/Rhino. I do find they run a bit big.

I may try SmartPak or Turtle Neck for my next blanket.

Oddly, my shark finned gelding seems to have fewer fit issues and loves his Baker blanket and just about anything I put on him.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I also have a smartblue plaid turnout blanket from smart pak and it doesnt fit him either. He is built like a tank.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

The Schneiders blankets are also very good for broad shouldered horses, and they have an adjustment option at the neck to fine tune the fit.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Bakers do not fit my current horse or my previous horse. I think they were designed for a narrow TB.

I have had great luck with Weatherbeetas, Rhinos, and Amigos. My horse's Weatherbeeta medium weight is going on its eighth winter and still looks great.

The Smart Pak blankets look great too. Hard to go wrong with a ten year guarantee!!

Thanks again everyone for the input, I just ordered a Rider sheet from Dover and a Rhino blanket from SmartPak...fingers crossed!

Have to say that judging from the pictures, the Smartblue/pink rugs look like they are cut differently from the Classic, Deluxe, and Ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    The Schneiders blankets are also very good for broad shouldered horses, and they have an adjustment option at the neck to fine tune the fit.
    Another vote for Schneider's for this reason.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

please try schneiders (sstack.com)...they aren't as pretty as smartpak but they are cut to fit high withered, deep chested horses. They fit our horses beautifully. They are very well made and incredibly affordable....our blanket lady highly recommends them...says that they are well made and great price!

I will just put it out there that, while I do think the Schneiders blankets are very well made, they are a TERRIBLE fit on my TB...and he's not even particularly narrow and does not have a high wither. He has two Schneiders fly sheets, and they both pressure the top of his withers (he now has white hairs there) and rub his shoulders raw. One is worse than the other, but neither is a great fit.

Baker sheets/blankets fit him great, so, OP, if Bakers do not fit your horse well, maybe the Schneiders blankets will!

I bought a Rambo stable blanket as a gift and I love the way it fits the horse and stays in place so well, I would definitely buy another Rambo, despite the high price. The fact that they don't have leg straps, and that they stay in place without them, makes them even more attractive to me.

I have also had good luck with WeatherBeeta, they seem to be indestructible and last forever.

This year I ordered a T/O from Smith Brothers. http://www.smithbrothers.com/smith-b...-24262/cn/700/

I got it on sale and I LOVE IT! The sky blue is beautiful and its very well made. Built to fits QHs, but fit my TB/Perch very well and is true to size. Doesn't rub and doesn't shift or slip and keeps my him cozy and dry.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I'm also a huge fan of Schneiders. They have four different fits for their blankets. One of them fits my Arab absolutely beautifully. The others? Not so much. However, the others are made for different shaped horses. They have ones for TB types, ones for big horses and ones for bulky QH types also. Call customer service and get the right type and I've never had the blankets not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ComingAttraction View Post
    please try schneiders (sstack.com)...they aren't as pretty as smartpak but they are cut to fit high withered, deep chested horses. They fit our horses beautifully. They are very well made and incredibly affordable....our blanket lady highly recommends them...says that they are well made and great price!
    I have the Vfree sheet, and blanket and love them. Going on 3 yrs and still waterproof. Used on two horses in pasture turnout. No rips.

I've got two big square chested geldings. So far, Rambo classic has been a good fit, as has Dover's Northwind line (and I think the Riders International ones would probably work too.) Have also had good luck with Centaur blankets. Not so much with a Centaur fly sheet that twisted like crazy! Also have some older Pessoas and even though they stand up well and have lovely features, they are NOT cut wide enough in the chest/shoulder for a big broad horse. My one Schnieders' was a cheapy turnout sheet. Doesn't rub in front but it's a backup blanket because it's not a Euro cut and when they wear it, it looks like a mini skirt !

Another vote for Schnieders' owned nothing but their blankets since 1979. When the only choice you really had was the Super Quilt or the NZ Rug.
    Now they have so much more to choose from. Im sure you can find something that can fit you horse.
    Friend of bar .ka