The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Blanket/stable sheet for large-chested horse?

Really need help for one of my horses. Currently in a 82" Baker, but when he puts his head down to eat it puts a lot of pressure on his withers and across his chest. Going up a size, the sheet just slides back a little further then does the exact same thing.

Is there a better brand of sheet and turnout blanket that would give him a more comfortable fit? He is built stout all around and is 16 HH. He would really appreciate the help!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

IMO, almost anything will fit a broad chested horse better than a Baker. It's sad, because the Baker plaid is such a classic, traditional look and those sheets wear like iron. But they were designed for a different shape.

I personally have tried all sorts of sheets on my big guy and have had the best luck with the Triple Crown sheets for turnout and the Riders (Dover) brand for stable sheets. I just replaced my old Rider's sheet this past weekend, actually - only because it had finally faded and looked a bit tired, to be honest, not because it had any functional problems. I will keep that one as a backup to use when the new one is being laundered etc. I was pleased to find that the new ones are still just as nice in terms of fit and quality as the old one that is probably at least 6-7 years old, and that has seen regular use.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Thank you for the suggestions! I did not know that about Bakers, but I believe it. Will check out your brands Pronto!