The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dress Boots For Competition?

With the new wave of slimmer fitting boots out there (Sergios, Tredsteps, Mountain Horse Firenz, etc.) how many of you show in the slimmer profile, smaller ankle type of boot? I need a new pair of dress boots for show and love the look of the new Tredsteps and Sergios. After riding in half chaps (look like tall boots) I can't suck it up and ride in my boxy Petries anymore. I also have developed some arthritis in my feet and the foot of the Petries is too hard and the crease in the ankle area digs into my ankle. Hoping that some of you (and some BNTs) show in the newer style with the softer leather and slimmer ankles. What brand?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Coming to dressage as I do, as a convert from hunterland, (where gorgeous, soft field boots are the norm) I simply could not face the idea of stiff dress boots at all.

I ordered Tucci's dressage boot. The leather is really gorgeous and not stiff at all.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

IMO, the Hunter Princesses do pretty boots better than anyone else. The DQs are starting to figure that out. If you want to order fitted, very high zip up leather socks, you are ahead of the curve.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Wear what is comfortable for you to ride in. Paying for boots that you don't like to wear is not going to make you a better rider - will probably have the opposite effect.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    IMO, the Hunter Princesses do pretty boots better than anyone else. The DQs are starting to figure that out. If you want to order fitted, very high zip up leather socks, you are ahead of the curve.
    Haha, mvp, you should *see* the Tuccis I ordered. They rival the croc-accented Der Dau's
    -PaulaEdwina

I have to laugh, my DD had someone complement her on her "really fashionable" slim fitting boots. they are my old boots from the 80's. Dressage boots used to be as slim as you could make them and were much softer than they are now.

I have always liked the Mountain Horse, but the zippers are always falling down. I ended up getting Ovation front zip because they were SO cheap ($100 on sale)) and LOVE the thin, fitted look, and I LOVE the front zipper. They are normally about $200, but I kept finding them on sale for $100, so I have three now.

It's almost impossible to find the front zip now. I don't know why. If you keep looking, you'll find it somewhere. Here's one.
    http://www.shopwiki.com/l/Ovation%C2...ot-with-zipper
    I LOVE the look of them and show in them over my Mountain Horse.

I haven't tried the Firenze because they're $300, and I have 3 $100 Ovations.

I recently bought the Devon Air Camden's for schooling as I have huge calves and I recently had to lay my previous instructor's $800 custom-made hand-me-down dress boots from Germany to rest .. so far I like them, though they're really bulky in the ankle. I may just have to suck it up and buy custom made ones for showing that fit better in the ankle yet excuse my giant calves ... #chunkymonkeyproblems.

I've tried on Sergios and Tredsteps and they were really comfy and stunning on. They almost feel like my half chaps. If I am going to shell out the money for new boots to show in, I will probably go with one of them. Both come in tall slim which fit me perfectly. Sergios are twice the price of the Tredsteps at $869.00. Even though they are both softer leather than say Petrie, Koenig or Cavallo, they should last if I only clinic, lesson and show in them. My Tredstep half chaps are 3 years old and still look great. The zippers will need replaced at some point, but the leather still looks great. I know half chaps are acceptable to show in recognized competition through 1st Level, but I would much rather have boots. Plus, I hope to move up to 2nd Level next year after I get my horse out and about. I always buy and wear what I want, but it is still nice to confirm my taste and decision by seeing some BNTs out there wearing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I have always liked the Mountain Horse, but the zippers are always falling down. I ended up getting Ovation front zip because they were SO cheap ($100 on sale)) and LOVE the thin, fitted look, and I LOVE the front zipper. They are normally about $200, but I kept finding them on sale for $100, so I have three now.

It's almost impossible to find the front zip now. I don't know why. If you keep looking, you'll find it somewhere. Here's one.
    http://www.shopwiki.com/l/Ovation%C2...ot-with-zipper
    I LOVE the look of them and show in them over my Mountain Horse.

I haven't tried the Firenze because they're $300, and I have 3 $100 Ovations.
    Those Ovation boots are discontinued. I have tried, and tried, AND TRIED to find a pair (8.5 XXWide calf Short height), but every time I do my order gets cancelled because, oops! the online store doesn't have them.

It would say me hundreds of dollars because I otherwise need customs.

I had a little snap tab sewn on my Mountain Horse boots at the local shoe repair place - cost a few dollars and now the zippers stay up. I love my Mountain Horse boots - so comfy, no break-in required! I ride two horses 2 to 4 times/week in them, show in them, and they are three years old and haven't worn through yet, although they are starting to look a little beat up.

Also going through the same dilemma - should I buy "nicer" show boots? The trainers keep telling me a stiff boots helps one ride better. I don't know, I'm into comfort - and also like the more fitted look!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    I had a little snap tab sewn on my Mountain Horse boots at the local shoe repair place - cost a few dollars and now the zippers stay up. I love my Mountain Horse boots - so comfy, no break-in required! I ride two horses 2 to 4 times/week in them, show in them, and they are three years old and haven't worn through yet, although they are starting to look a little beat up.

Also going through the same dilemma - should I buy "nicer" show boots? The trainers keep telling me a stiff boots helps one ride better. I don't know, I'm into comfort - and also like the more fitted look!
    My thoughts on boots helping me ride better? I don't want some external force, be it stiff boots, big blocks on a saddle or whatever forcing me to ride properly. I want to learn to ride properly on my own!

fitted, very high zip up leather socks
    Ha, ha! Just got some new Ovation half chaps and that's exactly what they are

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    Those Ovation boots are discontinued. I have tried, and tried, AND TRIED to find a pair (8.5 XXWide calf Short height), but every time I do my order gets cancelled because, oops! the online store doesn't have them.

It would say me hundreds of dollars because I otherwise need customs.
    They still have the back zip boots everywhere, which are a great price. They are quite comfortable to ride and walk in, though not as nice to walk in as MH. I have NO idea why the discontinued the front zip. They are SO great! Keep looking, though. They seem to pop up here and there.

One of the thing I like about Ovation is I have HARD legs to feet. Size 8, but super wide foot and calves and tall. I have never been able to buy a boot online that fit off the sizing chart except Ovation. They seem to fit well.

I have taken my Mountain Horse in many times to get the zippers fixed. Next time I will have the tab added (it's on the Ovation) that keeps the zippers from falling down! (I use black electrical tape around the zippers now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    They still have the back zip boots everywhere, which are a great price. They are quite comfortable to ride and walk in, though not as nice to walk in as MH. I have NO idea why the discontinued the front zip. They are SO great! Keep looking, though. They seem to pop up here and there.
    The back zips don't seem to be as wide as I need, though. And the only way I'd have zippers is in the front; those seem to break down less and if they do break down, it takes a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Haha, mvp, you should *see* the Tuccis I ordered. They rival the croc-accented Der Dau's
    Help a poor shut-in out with some pics, eh?

I appreciate your contribution to our ailing economy.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks for this thread, which reminded me to email Vogel and ask if they have the info on my boots since the saddle shop through which I ordered them is no longer.

One specific style of Vogels is the only type of boots which fit me well due to high arch, super narrow ankles, large calves and again very narrow below the knee/above the calf muscles. They include narrow ankles, which I much prefer - typical wider ankles have worn so many holes in me, and with my thin-skinned tb, even a wrinkle in half chaps will leave a hole in his side - boots breaking down a lot would be awful for the poor guy!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Help a poor shut-in out with some pics, eh?

I appreciate your contribution to our ailing economy.
    Shut in? Oh no, that doesn't sound good. Send me an update.

You could always come visit and see the pretty boots in person, you know... fine leather is best appreciated by the hand as well as the eyes...
    -PaulaEdwina

My trainer likes us to use stiff boots to aid in leg position and no I dont think it is a problem to use something that helps with position just like we do with our saddles.

Ill take all the help I can get.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/