The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fall is here

Fall is here and with it the cooler temperatures! Love this time of year.

Anyone else enjoying their horses newly found spunk and energy?

LOVE FALL ! and Fall colors ~~~ colors still don't work ~!My horses & ponies are Wild ! ~~~~ Icons don't work ~!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Here it will be bugless after tonight (gonna be in the 20s, UGH - blanket time). I do love fall for trail riding due to friskiness factor and absence of bugs. But lately my horse has completely lost first gear on trail rides. Only second and third gear seem to be working. He gets SO wound up in this weather and wants to GO, GO, GO!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Love the crisp air and fall colors too.

The horses are so funny, especially when they are really fit and it's cold, watch out! Another 10 degree drop and I'll have to abandon my usual on the buckle trot warm-up until spring!

Sure wish I had that much extra energy when the temps drop, my to do list would be getting checked off like crazy!

Love it, love it, love it! Love their energy and mine, too, not that I have as much as my horses or dogs!

Fall coming is like a miracle to me, really, because the heat just seems to get hotter and last longer every year.

It's my favorite time of year!! I was recently laid off and the apple cider and frisky ponies cleared up my sadness in hours

I just came from PA visiting my parents where we had an awesome weekend ride, even the old guy was full of crap, and the trees are fabulous only to return to TN and see that I'm i'm going to be able to watch the trees change twice this year!!

as a bonus I was able to put in a few paid rides (way more fun than my job) on a beautiful spotted walker baby who's been nervous and won't lead out. Mid way through the ride he was happy to lead and having fun... maybe a little too much when he let out a string of feel good bucks cantering through a field. (That was worked out pretty easily and I secretly had fun shhh don't tell:P)

When I lived in MD, I dreaded the fall, because that meant cold, and even colder WINTER. I can't take the cold, so didn't ride usually past November until March....sigh...

NOW, though, I look forward to fall, here in TX! Temps are still in the 70s-80s, the horses are more comfy, and no one will lose a toe to frost this year! (me...) Or an ear....

I'd rather sweat than freeze, though my son will be sad for a probably BIG ZERO chance of seeing any white stuff around this year...or next, or next.....yeah, I like the sound of that! (the no white stuff)
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Mine has her fall colors (dappled palomino) and fall attitude (head up, a bit snorty, sometimes feels like she's walking on her tippy-toes). It's a very beautiful time for riding.... comfortables temps, pretty trees etc.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"
    2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine "What do I do with you, Baby J?"

Mine turns into a squealing (yes squealing), prancing loon. I call it the return of the Black Stallion. lol Mostly because he likes to pretend he is a young TB race horse (he's 11, a draft X, and 1700 lbs) and enjoys "breezing" while we're out hacking.

I think its hysterical.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

My TB mare was actually a little naughty the other day when my friend and I went out on a trail ride. My friend started trotting and my mare trotted a few strides and then started doing what I would call a hand gallop and passed my friend's horse. She wouldn't stop, so I just bridged my reins and planted my hands on her neck and went with it. It was so much fun...hehe. Both horses were in excellant moods, frisky, but not spooky...great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    Fall is here and with it the cooler temperatures! Love this time of year.

Anyone else enjoying their horses newly found spunk and energy?
    Not really. It is more like winter here and even if I lunge my horse really, really well she is still fresh as a daisy. My hands and face are frozen too. Gotta love the North.

I love fall, i miss watching all the leaves turning colors though. At least the insects will be minimal hear. Will still have to keep a look out for those darn flies.