The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a grain suggestion

So after talking to my instructor, she confirmed my suspicion that my horse is a tad thin and as such I can add grain back to hopefully also give her a bit of umph (she is a slug right now) while adding a few pounds. She is currently getting local grass hay, Horse Guard multi-vitamin, and some alfalfa pellets as a mixer for the 2oz of the multi-vitamin. She is 7.

What grain would you suggest? I really, really would not mind if the grain made her a bit hot too.... Stores available to me include a Del's which sells their store brands and Purina along with King Feed which sells LMF and Purina. I think King Feed sells other brands but can't remember off hand.

So a grain to add weight and to help make a horse a bit hotter, suggestions?

Well, you can either increase the alf pellets to several pounds a day if that's something you want to consider, or you can switch to a regular fortified grain (and drop the HG in the meantime).

You could switch to a ration balancer (LMF makes nice ones, the Super Supplement G one would be the one for you since you use grass hay) and see if that increase in calories is all she needs. You could add a couple lb alf pellets to that if it's not, or switch to a regular feed.

LMF has 2 low NSC feeds - Low NSC Complete and Low NSC Stage 1. Both are 11% NSC - maybe not necessary for this horse. The Complete is a complete feed, higher in fiber than the Stage 1, not necessary for you but not something to dismiss out of hand, as there's nothing wrong feeding a complete feed to horses eating lots of forage already

The Gentle Balance is a nice feed, not high in sugars, and might be just what you need.

You don't really want a grain to make a horse "hotter". If the calories and nutrition are appropriate for the horse the physical energy will be there, and then it's up to the training to get the appropriate responses

Thanks for the suggestions JB.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You don't really want a grain to make a horse "hotter". If the calories and nutrition are appropriate for the horse the physical energy will be there, and then it's up to the training to get the appropriate responses
    Ah internet, I am never able to explain myself well when you are involved! I guess what I am trying to say is that when I ask her to do things, she just is missing the energy or the 'ummph' that I know she has had in the past. As an example, when I eat a pizza for dinner and go for a jog the next morning, I have lots of energy, lots of go, have good times, and do not feel fatigued, but if I have a lite salad for dinner and go for a jog the next morning, I am dragging, legs feel a bit like lead, speed is slower, does that make sense? She really feels like the latter lately, ask her to move out and the energy to do it is just not there although the will is.

LOL, sorry, I just have to make sure I'm on the same page

How "in the past" did she have this oomph that is now missing? What has changed since then (besides getting older, how old was she "then")?

Things that have changed:
    1) Earlier this year she had more energy, but she was a pit paunchy so I switcher her to the HG with a bit of alfalfa pellets to get her to lose some weight along with switching out the little orchard grass hay she was getting with more local grass hay. She was getting 1lb of Purina Strategy at the time.
    2) Sold my other horse who did not want to be a dressage horse, so my poor mare is my primary riding horse! She gets ridden a bit longer now...
    3) I have learned a lot this year and she has finally reached training/fitness to be able to do 'harder' dressage work. So basically, she is working harder and a bit longer than she was earlier this year.

I had considered just going back to using Strategy but she does need to gain a few pounds. I was wondering if since she is working harder and as a result has lost weight if I should consider a 'performance' type grain to help her add a few pounds and give her some more energy. Purina Omelene 200 and Omelene 500 had caught my eye, but I have never used them before.

My horse was on Omolene before I got him. He's now on Ultium. I really like it. It does a nice job of keeping weight on him and giving him enough energy for the type of work he does.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

In the end it is all about calories in a form she can use. Up her hay to 24X7, up the quality of hay (more alfalfa and less grass), then think about grains and other concentrates.

Grains are not evil when you toss out special needs horses such as IR and afew more. The problem with high energy concentrates is folks think if 2-3lb is good 6-8lbs are even better. And yes sometimes horses do go into extreme work and need more high energy concentrates such as performance feeds. Those are pretty rare times....tho I have had horses that have been there.

Nothing against Omolene 200, but for the cost there are better feeds out there. 500 is going to offer you 2% higher CFat than 200. Can not figure out why the Vit E Iu's are lower.....but for maybe they think you will feed in higher (excessive) amounts. I have never fed it. Lysine is slightly lower than 200 too....go figure and you better chat with a Purina Rep on that and why it is formulated that way.

Have you an idea how many calories per day you wish to increase her ration? And how many pounds of feed daily you want to add? What I am getting at is she going to be fed 1,2,3 times daily? And are you going thinking along the lines of 1-2lbs per feeding or higher amounts?