The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weird, unprofessional sales experience

So I'm looking for a new horse, a young one to hopefully go prelim on in the future. I had a very icky experience this week that I just had to share. I went last week to try a 3.5 year old tb(unregistered) that had nice videos, nice mover, some x-c schooling. Trainer/owner does not impress by showing me the horse wearing boat shoes and no helmet - this says to me that corners have been cut. But I like the horse, it's reasonably priced, so I'm going to move forward. I ask the trainer more about where he got it- story is not clear...bought out of a field, never met the owner. Do you know his breeding, I ask, just out of curiosity, really. No, but I can find out, he says. So I arrange for a vetting. Same day, I get an email giving me a sire and dam. Great, I think, until i google and discover that stallion died in 1989 and mare was born in 1965, so even if she's the world's oldest horse, unlikely to be the dam. I call him on it; whoops! My friend who looked it up at the registry must have made a mistake...to which I'm thinking, how could you look him up if he's not registered? Isn't that the point of "registered?". But again, horse is what he is, so still moving forward. Get a few more pieces of info, then he gets defensive - no one has ever asked him such questions, ever! Now, I've looked at 13 horse so far and everyone can tell me where they got their horse from...so I vet the horse ($1200+) and it's not quite clean...flexed a 2 on soft ground, x-rays showing some narrowing of the joint space. Email, say I'm having my vet look at films, will get back to you. Get snippy email in reply; now, less than a week has elapsed since I tried the horse so this seems rather rude to me. Takes a day for films to get to vet and her to look at them; I have a long talk with the vet, she says to better not risk it; I sleep on it, get back to the guy today to say no...get very rude email telling me that horse has found another home. I feel like I 've dodged a bullet, but it almost seemed like a joke version ofa COTH sales story. Is it actually unusual to ask someone where they acquired the horse? Or to expect to be able to sleep on a vetting?

Asking where the horse came from
    And needing time to review rads is totally normal.

Sounds like that seller had issues. I saw nothing but red flags in your post.

In my experience sellers have been able to give me basic info about the horse's origins, breed if they know it, etc. I do not think its unusual for people to want to know that. I think you dodged a bullet there, things sound fishy, just keep doing what you're doing. Good luck!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

He could have said - "sorry horse isn't registered and previous owner didn't care or know about bloodlines, so I have no info on the horse's breeding.".. not knowing information is one thing, trying to cover it up just makes it look fishy... and really doesn't matter on the breeding as your vet didn't pass it anyway.

The only way I could imagine this story checking out: if by "unregistered" the guy simply meant "I bought the horse out of a field and if it's registered, I don't know about it." I've known plenty of folks, especially folks who weren't familiar with TBs, who had to call a TB-savvy friend who told them to look in the horse's mouth for a tattoo. And once you've got a tattoo, you can usually get the registered name and that leads to a sire and dam. In which case we could POSSIBLY forgive the horse owner if the horse had the same registered name as a horse from 10 or 20 years ago. The names do get released for re-use.

But yeah, chances are you dodged a big bullet and the whole pedigree was made up.

My bet is the horse does not have a new home and is on the market. Too bad the trainer wasn't savvy enough to find out what the issues were with the vetting and perhaps even buy the x-rays. It sounds like the horse might have been okay, just not for the OP's intended purpose.

As for not knowing about the background and breeding of a horse, I do expect the seller to know something. Or it nothing is known, that fact is going to be reflected in the price. My concern is that the horse was stolen. Ask me why I know!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

There are TB that are not Jockey Club. I know someone that used to have a breeding program for palomino TB. She got a lot of chestnuts, that were all not what she wanted, but they were nice horses. Got and sold 2 of them at my farm.

I also know plenty of people that don't know what their horse is. "He's by 'R' something warmblood. I don't know, I can ask the last owner. I think you can get papers if you register him...."

Plenty of people selling horses are NOT professionals. They are parents, school teachers, or working at the local Quik Check or car repair. They also may have a horsey 'business' where they buy and sell cheap horses.

Plenty of 'professionals' are professionally bad. (I asked around about Mark Bliss, and he's pretty well known in my area.... but he runs a business. Has for decades. Probably will until he can no longer walk himself down the barn aisle any more.)

As for the OP horse shopping experience, well, I've experienced worse!! That's just part of the 'entertainment' value of the horse biz....

I could add about the time a family showed up to look at a cheap family-type horse we had for sale. Father and son were dressed in.... yes.... matching.... hawaiian print shorts and cowboy boots. It is truly a tragedy that I did not have a camera handy.

Next time you spy a spiffy outfit while horse shopping OP, you should definitely snap a picture so you can share. We could even have a contest.

Did you tell the seller this was horse number 13 in the string ?
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    Did you tell the seller this was horse number 13 in the string ?
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    Asking where the horse came from
    And needing time to review rads is totally normal.

Sounds like that seller had issues. I saw nothing but red flags in your post.
    :

Glad to know it wasn't just me...I don't mind not knowing - I've purchased horses with auctions in their past - but I don't like being lied to or having some one be rude to me when I am a legit buyer with serious inquiries who plunked down a nice chunk of change for the vetting...

Scary part is that this was a professional who claims "to be well known in international circles..."

People who actually are well-known don't typically need to advertise as such.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Anyone can call themselves anything in the horse world--self-proclaimed experts are a dime a dozen. The proof is in the performance. He's probably never had a serious buyer before.
    Click here before you buy.

My thought while reading your post was, "I wonder whether the horse was stolen?"

Then I thought... who the heck would steal a horse with today's horse market.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebelle View Post

Scary part is that this was a professional who claims "to be well known in international circles..."
    Yeah but what kind of international circles?

Quote Originally Posted by teddygirl View Post
    Yeah but what kind of international circles?
    Now that is funny.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

well i sell a lot of tb;s from the track and some never raced or reg. and i can tell you both sire and dam, if they raced give their race records and most of the time their papers as well. i have nothing to hide at all. can tell you where they all came from too good luck, hope you find a nice horse.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Every horse I have ever tried the owners were able to tell me where they got them. And my last vetting took about a week. I had 2 vets down here look at the x rays and I talked to the vets who took them and compared notes thoroughly. Kinda glad you dodged a bullet on that one, owner sounds a bit fishy!!
    No Worries!

I have met quite a few sellers/dealers of less expensive horses who didn't want to disclose where they got the horse, mostly because they didn't want you to know he was $50 at an auction 2 weeks ago, or because they don't actually know that he showed/evented, are just guessing or taking someone else's word. Definitely a red flag, not insurmountable, but I'm sorry you lost so much on the vetting. As others said, you probably dodged a bullet.