The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New fox hunting hazard

…putting your hairnet down “anywhere”, and then thinking when you first see it one morning, that your cat has killed a mouse and left it there…

Just happened to me!

As written earlier this week, I rode in my first hunt Sunday....
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

EeeeeWWWWWWW
    Too funny!

Foxhunting:
    One is encouraged to have at least one horse, a trailer, lots of lovely tack, lovely clothes, both formal and informal, lots of boots, esp brrrrowwwnnn field boots (search for that thread ), you get you and your horse all spiffed up, take a sip or two or ten from a flask, and then if you fall off and get totally muddy from head to toe, the fact/act is talked about and revisited and yes, celebrated the rest of the season!
    Sooo, let'sseee: I start out looking really good and I'm allowed to get filthy dirty? LOVE IT. I smell like a horse? Thank you for the compliment. Why yes, I have no problem at all getting up before dawn to go hunting on a Saturday. Why can't I get up as easily M-F to get to work? Dunno. Hmmm That will take some port and some deep thought.

My dark blonde hairnets are occasionally mistaken for piles of poo or cat vomit. What a relief to find 'tis only a hair net!

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    EeeeeWWWWWWW
    Too funny!

Foxhunting:
    One is encouraged to have at least one horse, a trailer, lots of lovely tack, lovely clothes, both formal and informal, lots of boots, esp brrrrowwwnnn field boots (search for that thread ), you get you and your horse all spiffed up, take a sip or two or ten from a flask, and then if you fall off and get totally muddy from head to toe, the fact/act is talked about and revisited and yes, celebrated the rest of the season!
    I always wonder what kind of business meeting my dry cleaner thinks I attended where my black "blazer" ended up totally covered in mud!

And, I've also been terrified by my hairnet on the floor of the truck.

3 members found this post helpful.

EeeeeWWWWWWW
    Too funny!

Foxhunting:
    Sooo, let'sseee: I start out looking really good and I'm allowed to get filthy dirty? LOVE IT. I smell like a horse? Thank you for the compliment. Why yes, I have no problem at all getting up before dawn to go hunting on a Saturday. Why can't I get up as easily M-F to get to work? Dunno. Hmmm That will take some port and some deep thought.

Perhaps if they had a flask for you at the job you would be more motivated to arrive early (I personally think my job would be much better if I kept a flask at the office!)

2 members found this post helpful.

Why yes, I have no problem at all getting up before dawn to go hunting on a Saturday. Why can't I get up as easily M-F to get to work? Dunno. Hmmm That will take some port and some deep thought.
    OMG, I still can't figure this one out!

1 members found this post helpful.

Default How about a picture of "Cat in the Hat" ?~!o

How about a picture of "Cat in the Hat" ?!~? no colors and no icons and i have removed or eaten all the 'cookies" !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Hehe on the cleaners. My coat always has mud, red horse hair and usually some green slobber on it.

Talking Hairnets! Ah Yessss!!

Staying with the hairnet theme.....I have a question I've been DYING to ask......has ANYONE ever kept the same one so long you felt....like....maybe....you needed to..... WASH it?!!
    Did you? With what? I mean...they CAN acquire a certain "odor" that requires SOMETHING be done....Yes?

AND does anyone else look like Ruth Buzzy when they have theirs on? I do....and if you don't know who Ruth Buzzy is then go away....

And another profound thought....some hairnets really ARE the "Good Kind" imho!

AND what about those little knotty balls thing that happens at your collar...boy I hate when that happens! Or is that just a pony tail phenomenom? Gah! I hate knotty balls......weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

My hairnets rarely survive the hunt. They always seem to get caught on a branch and disappear. Or I put it in my helmet and lose it later.

OMG Watery Glen
    You ain't right! No wonder we get along so well. And yes I DO know who Ruth Buzzy is. Knotty balls. That could be a Southpark episode, y'know.
    I tend to look like Rocky (of R and Bullwinkle fame) when I have my helmet and hairnet on. But after a few tipples from the flask I imagine myself a Polo Ralph Lauren model.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

OMG Watery Glen Knotty balls. That could be a Southpark episode, y'know...
    Or a SNL episode...along the lines of Schweddy balls?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Or a SNL episode...along the lines of Schweddy balls?

And Wg, I knew I recognized you!

I'll say it again--ya'll ain't right.
    Apparently I have found "my people ".
    Here we are at the dry cleaners:
    "Um, my black "wool blazer" is covered in clay/mud because i was reaching for WG's flask and dropped my whip and then hounds found and I need it before dawn next Saturday and oh, can you help me with this knotty ball?"
    "Oh hi, officer. I don't know why the dry cleaning lady called you...are those Dehners you're wearing?"

Cleaners? During the season? Naw. Let coat dry, (either from rain/snow or after sponging off sweat/horse slobber/paw prints), brush thoroughly, throw in dryer on air setting w/a fabric softener sheet for 15-20 minutes or so (do wrap your buttons so they don't break or in case of brass, get scratched). No one will see irrelevant details at the gallop.

When first married, hubby cheerfully gave my black boots the ol' military spit shine before each meet. Even met me once at Gilbert's Corner to get them to me when I'd forgotten then (called barn to report I'd left them at home and I hadn't even noticed yet).

The honeymoon was over after hmmm, a season and a half, or so. He just didn't get arriving all clean and shiny and ending up 'that way' after 4 to 8 hours. Seemed a bit too Sisyphean for his taste.

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen

AND does anyone else look like Ruth Buzzy when they have theirs on? I do....and if you don't know who Ruth Buzzy is then go away...

Loved Ruth Buzzy...and that purse!

Cleaners during the season=damp sponge - no matter how bad the dirt/mud/horse slobber grime. (My pony deliberately targeted my cleaned, brushed, spotless coat for a huge spot and trail of slober the second I'd start to get him out of the trailer. He favored the back where I couldn't see it, or the sleeve where I'd angrily glare at it the entire hunt. Rotten bugger!!)

Thumbs up Oh fer cryin' out loud!

Oh good grief! Answer my question!! Has ANYBODY actually washed their hairnets?!! If so with what?! bla, bla, bla.....don't care about the danged jackets!! Everyone knows you just throw the danged things away when they gets too dirty anyway......sheeesh!
    My cubbing jackets about due for a toss.....I mean REALLY!!!

And yes, I'm not right.......and proud of it!

Gee, Wateryglen,
    I hadn't heard of Ms. Buzzi, so I had to look the name up on wiki.
    You're right, There is a resemblance in your hairnetted 'dos.

But you can look sooo much better, since you put the helmet on, too!

I haven't seen that wretched little man, Tyrone F. Horneigh, hanging around the hunt, either...

Careful with that purse! Ouch!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

WG, to answer your question, I have washed many a hair net..in the pocket of my breeches!

And BTW, my mom went to school with Ruth Buzzi...she went to Stonington (CT) high school. And according to Wikipedia, Ms. Buzzi lives on a ranch in TX and raises quarter horses....so maybe she's reading this very thread!

Anyone find any utube clips of the Buzzi comedy routine? Maybe Martin has them in one of his collection.
    Intermediate Riding Skills