The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What happens when horse is at the trainer's (and you're bored!)

You teach his bestie to "jump" so he has a role model when he gets back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w98dU...1&feature=plcp

Yeah, I totally did this tonight. First I used treats to bribe his grumpy self over ground poles, walked over those a few times, then thought, "what the hell" and popped up half a cross rail. And then this.

Good news is his bestie Rory is w/t/c at the trainer's, and hopefully home in Nov, just in time for Odie to be doing full courses .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Odie is adorable!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Oh wow. The full press search for a rescue / elderly mini donk/mule/horse to be Digger's new bestie is on. Too bad there's been a drought of them on Craigslist up here lately.

I contacted breeders, since they all have common interests.... I bet you'd have luck that way.

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Oh. My. Goodness. Love this!

Awwww so adorable! (My dogs enjoyed the clicking and cheers too lol)

yay Odie!!! Just priceless.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Holy carp that little guy is SO CUTE!!! I ended up watching some of your other videos too... He clearly rules the roost

Odie is very cute and looks pretty darn tolerant. Exciting that your other horse is off at the trainer...I remember your thread from when you got him, and he reminded me so much of my now retired guy.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHennery View Post
    Oh wow. The full press search for a rescue / elderly mini donk/mule/horse to be Digger's new bestie is on. Too bad there's been a drought of them on Craigslist up here lately.
    I actually have a mini mule that I'm looking to rehome, as she was a great companion for my retired horse, but he's gone to another barn with a buddy already there. She's at home with me, but my other horses are not taking to her and with the rainy season finally here, keeping them all separate is proving difficult. I'm down in SW WA near Vancouver, so might be too far, but you can PM me if you'd be interested. I'd give her to the right home (no $) but I haven't wanted to advertise her as I'd hate for her to go into a bad situation (she was supposedly a roping target in the past, so comes with some related baggage ).

Oh yeah, Odie is a hoot. He is turned out with another gelding who is a big a-hole while Rory is at the trainer's, and yeah...Odie rules that roost too. They make a lot of ugly faces at each other and there is quite a bit of grumping and posturing, but Odie gets his way in the end. I can tell he isn't as happy as he is with Rory, it's really cute how bonded they are.

And really, even when he isn't tolerant, it's still cute. He was pretty ticked when I put those shetland size tendon boots on...

ETA I know it's hard to believe I'm an adult , but I was a very serious child. I think I'm growing in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I actually have a mini mule that I'm looking to rehome, as she was a great companion for my retired horse, but he's gone to another barn with a buddy already there. She's at home with me, but my other horses are not taking to her and with the rainy season finally here, keeping them all separate is proving difficult. I'm down in SW WA near Vancouver, so might be too far, but you can PM me if you'd be interested. I'd give her to the right home (no $) but I haven't wanted to advertise her as I'd hate for her to go into a bad situation (she was supposedly a roping target in the past, so comes with some related baggage ).
    Not to snipe, but I'm PM'ing you! We live in Independence and I've been hunting for a little buddy for my two, they have some attachment issues when I take one away and the left behind'er gets upset. Mr. Heinz won't let me have any more full-sized animals, but a mini mule might just win him over.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Odie is
    Horsepoor, I've been traveling for work and just saw this. It sounds like Heinz57 might have snapped her up, but if not I'd be interested in hearing more (PM me). I was leaning more towards a gelded mini Donkey, but most of the older ones I'm finding are nearly as far as you are.