The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Slicker still....

So I have a few saddles listed for sale. The scammers are getting better, but it's still pretty darned obvious. Apparently PayPal is a good conduit for these folks, so a warning to everyone selling using PayPal.

"Thanks for the swift response,Am okay with the condition and the asking price,I am ready for it's purchase ASAP. I'll be responsible for the Picking Up and the Pick-up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after payment has been made and sorted...I would have really loved to come for the viewing and inspection but due to the fact that I am a deaf disable person, I can't really move around In which I could not meet up or get to my bank, I would loved to discuss more about the purchase on the phone via text messages 1 (760) 824-3128. I will be paying Instantly through PayPal If you can end the listing Asap,Kindly get back to me with your registered PayPal email for the quick Payment or you can go to WWW.PayPal.Com, and easily sign up for a personal account since It’s free,safe,simple and secure way to exchange funds online...Am so very sorry for any grief that this may have caused you.

I want your honesty in return to my faithfulness on this transaction.Your immediate response will surely be appreciated..

More PS will be appreciated as well....

Note : I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been made and sorted..

Regards."

Because all deaf, disabled people who can't really move around need a saddle
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I thought the desire to TEXT and the emphasis that they could pay me 'instantly' thru paypal, and they would have a pick up person, and they would 'have loved to come and inspect'... yadda yadda

Well gosh, and here I thought I was special.

I have my trailer advertised, and here is the message I got this afternoon!

Thanks for the swift response,Am okay with the condition and the asking price,I am ready for it's purchase ASAP. I'll be responsible for the Picking Up and the Pick-up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after payment has been made and sorted...I would have really loved to come for the viewing and inspection but due to the fact that I am a deaf disable person, I can't really move around In which I could not meet up or get to my bank, I would loved to discuss more about the purchase on the phone via text messages 1 (760) 824-3128 . I will be paying Instantly through PayPal If you can end the listing Asap,Kindly get back to me with your registered PayPal email for the quick Payment or you can go to WWW.PayPal.Com, and easily sign up for a personal account since It’s free,safe,simple and secure way to exchange funds online...Am so very sorry for any grief that this may have caused you.

I want your honesty in return to my faithfulness on this transaction.Your immediate response will surely be appreciated..

More PS will be appreciated as well....

Note : I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been made and sorted..

Regards.

*´¨)
    ¸. ·´ ¸. ·´¨)
    (¸.·´ ¨´*

Sherzad
    (760) 824-3128

So how does it work? You get paid by Paypal. Don't they get stuck with the bad bank info established by the scammer?

At least for now, who cares if Paypal has to eat it on some bad transactions?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Hey Jackmo and Isabeau - could you remove the live links to the hoax PayPal from your posts?
    Last edited by hurleycane; Oct. 13, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

No they are hoping seller clicks on fake paypal link so they can get their paypal login so they can get the sellers credit card and bank info. What i find amazing is that people fall for this kind of thing. Also why are scammers so bad at language?

Are you advertising on Craigslist? Are you anonymizing your reply e-mail? I would think that if you anonymizing that Craigslist would catch the phishing links.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    Also why are scammers so bad at language?
    Because typically they are not from the US.

I work in the fraud department and it is very sad the number of perps who use TDD/ relay calls. Interesting to see that they're trying to sound disabled to scam people in written ads as well :-(
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

An amazing amount of people who can't move around buying saddles and horse trailers these days!

At least they are apologizing for any grief they have caused you in advance. That's quite polite.

I've had one too - from our little local horse rag that puts your ads on line - best is to only advertise locally and not on line I'm finding.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Are you advertising on Craigslist? Are you anonymizing your reply e-mail? I would think that if you anonymizing that Craigslist would catch the phishing links.
    I am.

This particular scammer found my ad on equine.com

Whenever I have someone respond to an ad, I immediately google their email or phone number. It's amazing what one can learn!