The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare will not eat PopRocks

I have had my mare on the blue pop rocks for about 5 months.

My 2nd, 200 packet order arrived last week. My mare will not eat this batch. She eats everything around them, but leaves them untouched. How do they pick stuff out with such efficiency?

Has anyone else had their horse decide that they did not like them anymore?

It looks like I will be ordering paste from Horse Pre-Race, which is a bit more expensive than the pop rocks. At least, it is cheaper than buying Ulcergard here.

If anyone who uses pop rocks is coming to Team Challenge and needs about 190 packets, then please send me a PM?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I will take them off your hands if they're not about to expire. Look me up in Kentucky about a week from now!
    Click here before you buy.

DW,

Cool. Since they just arrived a couple of weeks ago, they should be good to go.

Are you arriving at the KHP on Friday?

Late Thursday.

I bought some molasses at the feed store and just mixed it all together. Voila no more uneaten pop rocks. Amazing they can eat around them!

My horse won't eat them either-- sometimes I can slip 1 packet into his dinner, but the treatment dose of 2 or 3 packets is always rejected. I used a 60cc syringe with fish oil to get the BPR in him. (He wouldn't eat the fish oil, either, so I figured why not dose both together?) Not *all* the BPR were consumed...some days a good bit was spat out, but it still worked well enough.

As an aside, I noticed many good effects from the fish oil-- beautiful coat, improved weight/topline. I kept him on a small daily dose of fish oil even after the BPR regimen ended, and I see a difference in him when I've run out or skipped a few days.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

If for some reason Deltawave doesn't take them, I could really use them! I work at KHP so please let me know if they become available.

Default Can you educate me about feeding BPR?

Hi!

I have seen this referred to a bunch of times on these forums but I do not know what they are fed for and how/who discovered this solution and does only blue colored work and don't the horses freak out with popping in their mouths? Are we talking the real pop rocks that kids gobble down by the handful? Thanks!

Joyrider--no, not the candy pop rocks. We're referring to omeprazole granules from abler.com to be used for ulcers/ ulcer-prone horses. they look like the candy pop rocks, hence the nickname.

I mixed mine w/applesauce and syringed them into his mouth. Worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Joyrider--no, not the candy pop rocks. We're referring to omeprazole granules from abler.com to be used for ulcers/ ulcer-prone horses. they look like the candy pop rocks, hence the nickname.
    Thanks for the clarification! I too was about to be pretty amazed that the candy could help with ulcers! haha
    "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
    Official Marestare Addict!

Who cares if she eats it or not? Syringe it into her.

Tess is overweight, so molasses will not do.

She was having EPM gel suringed into her mouth for a couple of months. Surprisingly, she managed to keep most of it in her mouth. Now, she gets the prescription, liquid Vit. E from KPP suringed into her mouth every day. She hates applesause and will spit it out faster than anything (Go figure? ).

I appreciate all of your suggestions. I am going to give up and purchase the Horse Pre-Race paste. It does not cost that much more and she does not spit it out.

DW,
    I am jump judging a steeplechase fence for the Training and Prelim 3-day on Saturday. We do not need to be there until 10:30am. I found your stall number, so will look for you.

Auburn, a tablespoon of molasses is about 60 calories. Not going to ruin her metabolically.

But I will still buy whatever packets you don't need. My guys leave some in their feed tubs after they eat, but by morning it is all gone, so their objections are obviously trivial ones.

I dose mine using a syringe with apple sauce. My horse has never willingly eaten the pop rocks.
    WARNING..I tryed the pre-race stuff and found it useless. My horse had ulvers that worsened on the pre-race and resolved with the pop rocks. I would steer clear of the pre-race stuff.

Time-consuming, but I got Wizard to eat them by hiding the pop rocks in a hollowed-out horse cookie in a Dixie Cup: http://rockandracehorses.wordpress.c...zole-granules/
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

My horse eats them mixed with 1 packet of maple and brown sugar quaker instant oatmeal. I just pour them all together, add a tiny bit of water and it is SCARFFED down immediately. This after it was refused with applesauce and molasses was just an unholy mess to try and work with daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    She was having EPM gel suringed into her mouth for a couple of months. Surprisingly, she managed to keep most of it in her mouth. Now, she gets the prescription, liquid Vit. E from KPP suringed into her mouth every day. Why can't you mix the BPR with the Vit E liquid and syringe both at the same time?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."