The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EPM outcomes?

My daughter's hunter (on the flat) has tested postive for EPSM. Grade 2. He starts treatment on Tuesday.

He has been working beautifully with his new dressage saddle...happy, freely forward, relaxed...just stunning. Problem is he has fallen down with her twice: once to his knees last summer and then all the way down a few weeks ago. He shows no symptoms in the pasture...we would have never guessed on our own that he wasn't just clumsy...he seems so right.

In your experience, does this sound like he will have a good/terrific outcome? He is the light of her life...and her life hasn't been going well lately. She really needs a ray of hope at this point.
    Last edited by ezduzit; Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM.

What's the "treatment" you are beginning? I don't know of falling down as being a symptom of EPSM.....I had an EPSM TB for 7 years. He certainly did make improvements once he was settled on "the diet" but he was ALWAYS a management nightmare. He did best when he was on 24/7 turn out and being ridden every single day. He had to get his oil quota every single day. He could not ever have any sugar, ever. He was a good boy in a bad body and I eventually had to put him down after he tore his S-I twice. He was NOT a pasture ornament candidate.

The best I can tell you is to do as much research as you possibly can. Go to RuralHeritage.com and read read read. Sign up so you can converse with Dr. Valentine. She is the EPSM guru. Good luck.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

So sorry...got my letters mixed up. He has the parasite. EPM?

He will be getting something oral in a paste along with an i.v. injection of DMSO to counter inflammation from the paste.

BIG difference between EPSM and EPM.

EPM the outcome is different for each horse.

The outcome can be: euthanasia or, perfect forever after treatment, and it never comes back.

Yes BIG difference. Her previous horse had EPSM. Special diet with oil and selenium.

She has not had a lot of good luck with horses...despite pp vet exams.

At least it isn't always bad news.

O...........I wondered if that was what you actually meant to say but didn't want to question you ;-) EPM makes a whole lot more sense when talking about falling down. Thankfully, I have no experience (so far) with EPM, knock on wood. I hope you have great success. I do know many who have thrived following treatment.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

That is so good to hear. She's had such a run of bad luck for over 20 years while I seem to go merrily along just being lucky. So hard to see her in so much emotional pain. I think, tho, that she's actually handling it better than I am. I'm devastated for both of them.

I'm hoping that treatment will turn it around since he's perfectly fine in the pasture. Yesterday when I turned them out (she had an all day thing so I fed in the morning) he went to the wallow spot, dropped and rolled quickly. He popped up, jumped on his front feet and kicked up over his head with a couple of loud farts. Took off for the pasture at lightening speed. Never a missed step. He's the picture of health and vitality.

Crossing fingers, toes, paws, hoofs and tits that this works out!

My guy was diagnosed with EPM in the fall of 2010. We treated several times with Marquis and the sulfa and he's been back out competing since this spring at the Training and Preliminary levels. The dressage is a little harder for him as the EPM left him a bit weak in his right hind, but he's sound and healthy and jumping like a beast again. Good luck with everything!! An EPM diagnosis can be so devastating, but just keep plugging away at it and don't lose hope!! :-)

I had one diagnosed with EPM about a year ago. He had previously been tested via the Western Blot test, with negative results, but continuing issues led us to retest. We used the ELISA test from Pathogenes the second time around, and his elevated titers and other symptoms pointed to EPM. We treated him with Oroquin-10, also from Pathogenes, and afterwards put him on decoquinate/levamisole prevention powder for a few weeks when his titers crept up again (we think prompted by stress from changing barns).

We changed barns again about 6 months ago (were only at the 2nd barn for 4 months), but we did not retest or retreat as he handled the 2nd move really well, and we didn't see the need to retest. I am pleased to say that he is currently doing very well - is back in solid work and really advancing in his training. He was messed up for about 3 years due to EPM + other issues, and he lost a lot of training time, so he is very far behind where he should be, but he has made more progress in the past 6 months than at any time in the past few years. (Knocking on wood as I type this.... )

I treated my tb with Marquis for 2 months. I could definitely see the improvement after about 3 weeks. He did not have neuro issues, but lost his topline and was depressed. Before the diagnosis, I treated for ulcers which was another expense. I really thought he had turned the corner, as he had gained muscle and looked great. He went back into full work, and I was thrilled. I was very careful with his recovery and rehab. Then I began noticing slight changes here and there. not lame but not right, losing weight and depression. He was treated again and recovered somewhat. He could be ridden lightly but definitely not jumped or hard dressage. I knew I could never sell him, so I found a nice lady to take him. EPM is like russian roulette, you just never know the outcome. Good luck to you.

Good to hear that it isn't all doom and gloom. Although 'tricky' can be worse, sometimes. This guy had really bad worms when we got him. We suspect ulcers, too. And we suspect he experiences stress more readily than my horse.

I'm sure he will never progress past first or second level, at the most. At this point, training level will be a huge gift! He has a home for life...a benefit of having them live at home.