The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talk to me about Cosequin

Does it work? Is it worth the money?

I am looking for a daily joint supplement for an 8 year old who's jumping big jumps to keep her comfy.

Any suggestions other then Cosequin?

My vet recommends Chondrocyte. It is not carried at regular feed stores, but you can order it online. He says Cosequin and Chondrocyte are the only glucosomine supplements that have been tested and shown to have what they say they have. Chondrocyte is much less expensive.

He also says that after the loading dose you can feed it as little as once a week or as often as daily, depending on the horse. Once the supplement is in the joints, you only have to give enough to replace what the is being used up. The only way to figure out how often you have to feed it is trial and error.

Or you could just do the injectable glucosamine. It's MUCH cheaper, you know he's getting the full dose and he doesn't have to eat it then metabolize it before it can get to where it needs to go.

10 doses for $60 bucks is hard to beat, but I will go further and say I would do Adequan or Pentosan before I did any of that, but that's JMHO.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Cosequin is pretty much the gold standard in joint supplements for efficacy and quality and guaranteed quantity of ingredients. It's been empirically proven to slow cartilage degeneration. I think it makes a difference for some horses, but not others. Every vet I've worked for/worked with/met has recommended it for athletes and anything with potential arthritic changes (pretty much all horses).

I definitely notice a difference in one of mine when she goes off of it (10 yo TB/WB mare).

1 members found this post helpful.

I used it on my then 17 year old mare with arthritic changes in her hocks and it did absolutely nothing. I may as well have poured it down the toilet.

I did joint injections the following year and had a new horse on my hands.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I use it for my GSD and we all noticed a difference. He's not so creaky and off anymore
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I use it as part of my horse's Platinum Performance CJ regimine. Definitely keeping him happy and sound at 25+, along with other care factors.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I used it for a while, but didn't notice much of a difference. :/ I could tell when he was on Platinum Performance CJ, though. I'm about to try Cavalor ArtiMatrix and see how it goes. I have heard many great things about it, but time will tell.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another note - it works to prevent/slow down degeneration, so although you may not see your horse get better, it prevents them from getting worse. It's kind of like taking calcium to prevent osteoporosis - you don't really get better from taking the calcium, but it prevents your bones from weakening.

I used it years ago but now we have so many injectibles that are roughly the same price that I would never consider using it again.

3 members found this post helpful.

IMHO - the best bang for the buck are the injectables. Adequan, Legend, pentosan, glucosamine, or some combo thereof. IA injections for "problem" joints.

Cosequin worked wonders for the Ancient Appaloosa (and probably for the flock of chickens that he shared it with!) Making sure the expensive white powder got *inside* the horse was problematic.

For the Old Irish One, I tend to go with a shot of Legend to loosen him up if he's stiff. (Yeah, I know, it's not supposed to last very long after the shot. :::shrug::: It works for him.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    IMHO - the best bang for the buck are the injectables. Adequan, Legend, pentosan, glucosamine, or some combo thereof. IA injections for "problem" joints.
    Agree. The only oral thing that I think is worth the money (and is very inexpensive) is Flex Force HA liquid. Otherwise, you're better off with an injectible.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I would surmise that one advantage of the Cosequin oral supp is that the horse gets it daily. Consist level. The injectibles are not too long lasting.
    Plus, while I am comfortable giving IM injections, IA is whole 'nother thing.
    And injections directly into the joint DO carry some risks of infection and complications.
    I've done each and all of the above, and to me, oral supps seems easier and more consistent unless the horse has some specific very problematic joint issue that's still uncomfortable after a few months of being on Cosequin.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I like the idea of injectables, but I just don't think my horse is at the point that she needs something like that.

I was giving her Recovery EQ extra strength and I noticed a difference with that, Cosequin is supposed to be better then that so I'm sure it will cover my needs at the moment.

IMO Cosequin is just a big waste of money. It metabolizes in the gut and gets pooped out.

I know the original formulation of Cosequin had quite a bit of research behind it and has been proven to be effective. I'm not sure about the newer formulations (Cosequin, ASU etc.) I've had my mare on it since I got her. My dogs &
    I also take it. I know I can feel a difference when I run out and miss a week or two and my 13 year old lab can still comfortably jog a 5K so I definitely think its worth the $.

My other suggestion, outside of supplements, would be to talk to your farrier. There may be some things like padding or gel inserts, that can help provide additional protection from wear and tear. There are so many things they do to extend an older horse's jumping career that seem like they would help a younger horse if you thoguht it worth the investment.

Is the original formula the concentrated one?

I guess another question I have is..

Would you do the suggested loading dose for a horse that has no current issues and would be using this supplement as a preventative?

I use the Cosequin powder (on horses & dogs). By original I meant "Cosequin" as opposed to Cosequin with MSM or Cosequin ASU. Those may be great but I don't have enough information to comment on them. I didn't do loading doses on my guys since it was preventative, not addressing a current condition. I definitely used the loading dose on me

Since you're obviously very concerned about keeping your horse happy/healthy for the long run, you might also look at your post work routine. May be worth researching long term benefit of Back on Track wraps or ice boots after jumping. Also, I think the biggest thing is weight management. I wouldn't want my jumper overly skinny but I think keeping her lighter than the typical hunter is better for her joints.