The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2012
    Location
    Bahstin, Mass
    Posts
    627

    Default

    I would be VERY concerned that she could be going behind your back and having this other student ride your horse despite being told no.

    That could be a long shot, but if she's unethical enough to try and pressure/guilt you into it, she could be unethical enough to do it behind your back.

    No means no means no.



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2007
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Not that you need more than has been said here already, but there's an old saying:

    "Many horses make a rider; one rider makes a horse."

    I don't really think it's any particular advantage to your horse to be ridden by other people, unless that's his job.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2003
    Location
    Brenham, TX
    Posts
    4,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    I would be VERY concerned that she could be going behind your back and having this other student ride your horse despite being told no.

    That could be a long shot, but if she's unethical enough to try and pressure/guilt you into it, she could be unethical enough to do it behind your back.

    No means no means no.
    This was my first thought! Not sure I would trust trainer NOT to use the horse for lessons anyway.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Just let her know that after careful consideration, you've decided that you don't want anyone else riding your horse - you might bring up liability etc as this will allow you to confirm that your trainer has insurance that would cover any problems with your horse while she is on him ...

    You might also apologize for failing to make it clear that the use of your horse in a lesson was a one-off-not-to-be-repeated-event
    (this should allow her to graciously accept your decision)

    Your horse is not a greenie who will benefit from experiencing different riders, he has you (the ammie) & your trainer (the pro) & that is enough for any horse



  5. #25
    Join Date
    May. 31, 2007
    Posts
    84

    Default

    I would just say I'm sorry, I would love to help your other student. I'm very lucky to have this horse and I don't want want anyone but you (trainer) to ride him.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2005
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenapples View Post
    I spend a lot of time and money keeping him sound, and quite frankly, I don't want him to be a school horse. I didn't purchase him for that and that is not the direction I want him to go.
    The above is all you need to say. End of story. Put it in an email if it is easier.
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2002
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    5,218

    Default

    Hahaa ... I just thot of another option. Ask the trainer if she's like to replace her training rides (and related fee) with these lessons, if it's so good for the horse.

    I know that's passive/aggressive, which is why I'm laughing. I often think of those things but very rarely do them. I try to be direct. Yes, we pay them, but we (or *I*) count on them, too for guidance and direction. This relationship requires *TRUST*.

    And I've learned that my own trainer is VERY direct and yes, does her best to get the most people on the most horses ... but never at the expense of someone safety or a horse's good experience. The other thing she does is ensure that the owner is fairly compensated for the use of the horse (I've paid for injections in addition to lease fees). While being without my own beloved girl, she's offered a couple of horses for lease to help out overwhelmed owners with their fees.

    Not all trainers have high integrity. That makes me sad. I hope yours will honor your commitment to your horse and show you the respect that you deserve.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

    Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2006
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    1,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    I would be VERY concerned that she could be going behind your back and having this other student ride your horse despite being told no.

    That could be a long shot, but if she's unethical enough to try and pressure/guilt you into it, she could be unethical enough to do it behind your back.

    No means no means no.
    This crossed my mind as well - but only because it happened to a friend of mine. She said no and found use marks on her horse anyway.



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpony View Post
    I would just say I'm sorry, I would love to help your other student. I'm very lucky to have this horse and I don't want want anyone but you (trainer) to ride him.
    That is a soft response, but still a NO!. And I would be alert for behind your back use of your horse.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Unfortunately this scenario does imply a lack of respect from trainer towards client - you might try having a discussion with trainer about her motives in all of this ...
    I'd want an alternate barn sussed out (just in case)



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2004
    Posts
    7,538

    Default

    i would not get all defensive about it ... instead just say "thank you, no"

    end of story. you dont need any reasons ... in fact giving reasons will make your comment weaker.

    so "thank you, no"

    <end of story>



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    You guys are so AWESOME!!

    Thank you all for validating what I was feeling. I am not too concerned about her using him behind my back. That would be hard to do. I know when the other student's lessons are scheduled, so I can keep a close eye on things.

    I wish it was as easy as picking up and leaving, but it's not. I would love to move to a different barn, but there are not many places in the area that I could go, nor many good trainers.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i would not get all defensive about it ... instead just say "thank you, no"

    end of story. you dont need any reasons ... in fact giving reasons will make your comment weaker.

    so "thank you, no"

    <end of story>

    and if she comes back with 'but...<insert reasoning about it being better for horse, what you said, blah blah blah, etc>'

    I'd repeat myself and tack on a little extra.

    'thank you, but no, and please DO NOT ask me again.'
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Thank you for that Heinz 57...because I'm sure she will come back with but...



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb. 1, 2001
    Location
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenapples View Post
    Thank you for that Heinz 57...because I'm sure she will come back with but...
    If she does, be a broken record.

    "But it would be so good for Dobbin!"

    "Thank you, but no; please don't ask me again."

    "You really need to reconsider. This is a great opportunity for Dobbin/the lesson person/fill in reason here."

    "No, and as I said, I am really not interested in discussing this further. Please respect that decision."

    "I really want you to think this through again. Lending Dobbin to Suzy is just the perfect arrangement; you just aren't understanding what a great opportunity this is."

    "I said I am not going to discuss it further. Now, about that show schedule/farrier appointment/hair color we were discussing yesterday..."
    **********
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Simple. Tell her that your insurance will not allow any other person to ride your horse. Period.
    I strongly dislike it when people choose to lie, unnecessarily, when a simple, "No, your proposed plan is not my cup of tea" would do just fine.

    It has nothing to do with insurance.
    The reason is OP doesn't want to.
    That's perfectly good enough.



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2006
    Posts
    3,505

    Default

    I would just start to counter with questions.

    Dont you think you have made your points and I have made mine (smile)?

    We are just going to have to agree to what I want for Flicka, right?

    Its about what I need right now too, right?

    If she keeps coming back just shrug
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2012
    Posts
    1,562

    Default

    Just say no. DOn't give reasons. You don't need to explain.

    See, if you say it's because of liability or insurance it opens the door a crack- then it's "we'll pay the extra insurance"- then you have to think of more reasons. No need to go there..

    Just say no thank you and please don't ask again..



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    I'm not a big fan of lying...so I won't go there.

    If she doesn't take a simple "No"...then it will have to become a stronger one. I don't have the patience right now to play games. I'm tired of being stomped on in other areas right now...I don't need this too...in fact, that is part of the reason why I'm so mad over this...she threw it at me, right before I was leaving town, and it was another thing to have to deal with.

    The more I read all of your posts, the more committed I am to sticking with this. It's not a win-win scenario for me...it's a total win for her. I don't even feel that it's a win for my horse, particularly because I'm the one paying his vet bill.

    I would have been fine if she had wanted to use my mare...that would have been okay...the mare is semi-retired...but not my guy. He's my partner and part of the reason he is so awesome is all the work I've put into him. Work I'm not even sure the trainer realizes. I ride much more than just my lessons with her...I think she forgets that. I don't want anything to mess up the relationship I have built with my guy, and if she can't respect that...then we definitely need to move on.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2004
    Posts
    7,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    If she does, be a broken record.

    "But it would be so good for Dobbin!"

    "Thank you, but no; please don't ask me again."

    "You really need to reconsider. This is a great opportunity for Dobbin/the lesson person/fill in reason here."

    "No, and as I said, I am really not interested in discussing this further. Please respect that decision."

    "I really want you to think this through again. Lending Dobbin to Suzy is just the perfect arrangement; you just aren't understanding what a great opportunity this is."

    "I said I am not going to discuss it further. Now, about that show schedule/farrier appointment/hair color we were discussing yesterday..."

    nope... this is too much. too many crack and presents a weak front.

    just say "no" if she asks again the answer is "no"

    you dont need to explain, make it softer, justify etc.

    just say no.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Nov. 27, 2011, 01:06 PM
  2. Need Advice
    By Red Sky in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct. 16, 2011, 11:40 PM
  3. Jig advice
    By alliekat in forum Dressage
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Nov. 17, 2008, 09:09 AM
  4. i need advice
    By Caylei in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: Mar. 5, 2006, 09:15 AM
  5. Need advice!!
    By FridayzFortune in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: Sep. 17, 2004, 06:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness