The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding in CIC/CCIs under dual citizenship

Next year, I'm aiming to compete my horse in a CIC* or CCI*... eventually I hope to make it to the 2-star level, but that's light years away! I am currently a U.S. citizen, but I've been playing around with the idea of becoming a dual citizen for the past few years.

(For anonymity/privacy reasons, I'm going to change the country in question. ) My mother was born in... let's say, Poland, and under the laws there, I can get dual Polish and American citizenship. I'm seriously considering this for a variety of reasons, but I won't bore you all with the details.

Anyway, if I'm able to become a citizen of Poland and the U.S., I can register with the FEI as a Polish citizen and compete under the Polish flag. I've waded through the FEI documents, and it doesn't really say much about it, other than *changes* to one's nationality after they've registered.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I register with the FEI through USEF or the Polish Equestrian national organization? According to the Confusing Magical Rulebook of FEI,
    An Adult Athlete Living outside his country of nationality can have his entries processed by his “host-NF” for participation in CNs, CIMs as well as CIs if he is given permission of his own NF and the FEI. The Athlete, while keeping his own NF, comes under the jurisdiction of the host NF for the above-mentioned Events and must take part according to the relevant Sport Rules. This administrative facility is not a change of sport nationality. The Athlete will in all circumstances keep his "own NF", and always compete
    under its flag.
    ...so it looks like I only have to register once with Poland, then everything else can be handled by USEF?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Default Dual Citizenship

You register with the FEI under the Nation you compete under.
    You declare your intent to compete at FEI competitions and your NF nominates you.
    You can only change your competing citizenship once.
    If you have never registered with the FEI then registering as "Polish" will be as though you were born Polish.
    You would then be allowed to switch from that once.
    USEF is a NF, like the Polish federation.
    USEA recognizes some Nationalities as equivalent in so far as membership when you are competing a foreign horse...Canadians for instance use their Equine Canada membership to compete at USEA sanctioned competitions.

Default Competing under dual citizanship

Why make it hard on yourself? Your competition records are in this country. When you become qualified it is easy for USEF to find the records and give an O.K. to your entry. If you register as a "Polish" citizen, the "Polish" Federation has to obtain your records from the USEF and then notify the USEF that you are qualified to compete at that level..

Unless you enjoy dealing with bureaucracies, why deal with more than one?

Malcolm

I agree with Malcolm.

Why make things hard for yourself.

My sister and I are British. When she enters an FEI competition in the US, she has to send her entry THROUGH British Eventing (and they have to give permission).

She also, for all intents and purposes, has to maintain membership in USEF, as well as USEA AND BE.

If you get good enough that you think you have a serious chance of being on the "Polish" Olympic team, THEN weigh the advantages and disadvantages.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).