The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default fractured nose

My horse was kicked in the face a couple weeks ago. His face swelled up and we treated him with banimine and antibiotics. It seemed that he was healing well but once of the antibiotics for a little while the swelling came back.

We ended up x-raying his nose and it is fractured with bone fragments still in the nose. We have put him on SMZ for the next 2 weeks. We are going to x-ray again in 2 weeks. The vet said if this does not clear it up he may need surgery.

Has anyone gone through this before? What was the surgery like? recovery time? Cost? Can it be in done with a local or does the horse need to have full anesthesia?

I can't help you with the surgery type stuff. Our filly didn't need surgery. I hope your guy heals as quickly and as well as our filly.

We had a yearling that ran into a fence post as near as we can tell. She fractured her face, just to the side of the bridge of her nose and about 2 inches below her eye. Very pushed in. No fragments, just "dented". She went on antibiotics prophylactically, and banamine until she seemed comfortable again. Aside from her face being slightly deformed, she's been fine as far as neurologically and breathing. Vision in the eye that was bugged out from the fracture has normal vision and so on. She was off bananmine and playing face biting games with the other youngsters in about 3 weeks total.

So best wishes for your guy. I just say Challah has a distinctive, unforgettable face now.

Sheila

thanks Sheila. I do hope that he does heal with out the surgery. He is older so surgery would be very risky.

My horse had a fracture on the side of her face about two inches below her eye. We think she got kicked while out in the pasture. She had a small cut which healed up fine and a little swelling. I put ice on it several times a day for a few days. The swelling never really went down and a couple weeks later the vet came out for another horse so we had him look at her. He said she had fractured it, and it was the bone growing to cover the fracture. She had a pingpong ball sized lump sticking out. I started doing DMSO and magnets on her every day and within about three months it completely went away. Hope your horse gets better without having to do surgery.

Simbalism - do you just paint he DMSO on the bump on the nose? How often My horse has a hard bump on his nose. Wondering if that would help in the healing.

The lump on my mare was very hard. I just painted the DMSO on the lump and then put a magnet therapy magnet in a tube sock and tied it to her halter while I was grooming before and after riding. I just put the DMSO on once per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    The lump on my mare was very hard. I just painted the DMSO on the lump and then put a magnet therapy magnet in a tube sock and tied it to her halter while I was grooming before and after riding. I just put the DMSO on once per day.
    One of my horses (of course the pretty one!) fractured his skull right between his eyes playing rearing stallions with his buddy. Luckily it did not affect his sinuses or his vision but he does have a rather large dent. After it first happened he had a huge very hard lump right below the point of impact. I was told it was soft tissue inflammation from the impact and that it would eventually go away. I did not believe the vet--IT LOOKED LIKE A RHINO HORN! FWIW I did nothing to it and it did completely resolve on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.