The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    I have had TB mares that have a strong preference for "their" feed and water buckets, and since I'm an enabler, I play into it.
    The TB mare is a unique creature, that's for sure!

She actually does have her feedbucket (and pink water bucket!) from home, as she needs to eat off the ground and they don't have ground feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I am a huge believer in turnout too, but in my particular area you cannot get a good barn with both great turnout and an indoor. You get to pick one of the three: good care, great turnout, indoor.

Because boarding out is a "treat" for me, in terms of budgeting, the barn needs to have an indoor. Because I have good care and great turnout at my place, and it's cheap, so there's no point in moving elsewhere for that.

Hopefully, she will settle in better with the change of turnout companions, and I don't have to feel like such a bad owner.

Last time I get a TB, I tell ya! My QH gelding would live on my porch and be perfectly content. I AM relieved that even if she needs to come home at the end of the month, I won't have to eat the cost of Nov. board. He will be just fine there.
    It can be frustrating! I'm really hoping this place next week works because I'm kind of in the same boat as you - my 4yo (I guess 4.5 - how did she get so old?!) hasn't had to have a real job yet, mostly because I've been slack/haven't had the time. I'd really like to get a few solid months in this winter, doing actual WORK (not just hacking that she'd get if we stayed at her current place without an indoor). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to hack and will wherever I am, but it would be nice to get some ring work in too, haha.

No need to feel like a bad horse mom! You've gotta do what you've gotta do. I hope she settles in.

On the Nov board note, is the BO aware that you may be leaving at the end of the month? It would suck to go home after the month only to have to pay for Nov anyway as your one month's notice.

Hmm.... I'd probably just take her back home now. Six hours of turnout in a small dry lot? Hardly eating AND going through a growth spurt? Oy.

Honestly, she's only 4. IMO, another winter's worth of trail riding and turnout is only going to help solidify a good attitude, and I'd be concerned that she's losing condition going into winter.

If you do keep her there, have you tried a hay net? My OTTB is always happier if he has a stall guard (open door) and a hay net when he has to be stalled, and he eats quite a bit more that way.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post

On the Nov board note, is the BO aware that you may be leaving at the end of the month? It would suck to go home after the month only to have to pay for Nov anyway as your one month's notice.
    Oh no, the idea is that if she is not doing well by the end of the month, I'll just swap her with my gelding. I'll still be paying board, just a different horse will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    If you do keep her there, have you tried a hay net? My OTTB is always happier if he has a stall guard (open door) and a hay net when he has to be stalled, and he eats quite a bit more that way.
    She does have haynets in her stall, loose hay outside, mainly because she makes a god awful mess if she has loose hay in the stall. But also to insure that she has hay in front of her 24/7, even at 3am!

Oh you are giving me a chuckle about the tb mares! I had one that loved her pink water bucket and only wanted to drink out of it, also! You just can't make this stuff up!

Hopefully now that they have surrounded by the other horses, she will make a friend, and keep on munching. I don't think we should discount their emotions, much as we wish they were stoic about everything we ask of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post

I don't really get why having either horse indoors over the winter makes any sense when they are use to being out doors most the time. What could you not do at home that requires this type of plan?
    Kind of easy to sit in South Carolina and assume anything that needs to be done can be done in 3' of snow over ice in 25f temps...with a wind. OP is in Mass. where it gets dark early, like 4pm, and stays dark until after the work or school day starts for 4 months out of the year. I rode there for a few years-it sucked.

Also did not get that she was "locked up for weeks at a time". Just getting less turn out in a smaller area then she was used to. Much of that can be replaced with regular riding and I see OP is going to put her in training for a few weeks. That should help enormously.

If it does not then, yeah, she should come home and OP can switch with her older horse and work on her riding in the indoor until spring.

Oh, there is NO grass after the first hard freeze (about now usually) so not fair to compare to warmer climes in that regard either.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Kind of easy to sit in South Carolina and assume anything that needs to be done can be done in 3' of snow over ice in 25f temps...with a wind. OP is in Mass. where it gets dark early, like 4pm, and stays dark until after the work or school day starts for 4 months out of the year. I rode there for a few years-it sucked.

Also did not get that she was "locked up for weeks at a time". Just getting less turn out in a smaller area then she was used to. Much of that can be replaced with regular riding and I see OP is going to put her in training for a few weeks. That should help enormously.

If it does not then, yeah, she should come home and OP can switch with her older horse and work on her riding in the indoor until spring.

Oh, there is NO grass after the first hard freeze (about now usually) so not fair to compare to warmer climes in that regard either.
    Granted JP60 was a bit over-the-top, but don't assume winter is wonderful south of the Mason-Dixon line.

This is the first fall I can remember in decades in which we have actual grass. Usually it is dried up/brown/crunchy stuff.
    While we have somewhat longer days than NE, it still is dark, cold and damp.

Having lived and ridden in both areas - it is actually feels colder here at 35-45 with "high" humidity than 10-20 with "low" humidity.

Not to mention I believe JP60 is in 'upstate' SC, in the foothills of the Appalachians. They receive more snow and ice than I do, a mere 2+ hours southeast in the "midlands".
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Oh, I realize winter can be a challenge just about anywhere. But we had snow cover for months and had snowshows on them if they went out at all. Couldn't school much outside if at all because you can't see what is under that snow and you know there can be ice and chewed up, refrozen ground under that white blanket.

But the dark was the biggest obstacle because even on nice days you were blind between about 4pm and 8am.

Tell you what, I hated it even riding indoors, driving, parking and slip sliding across to the barn door in the dark were awful.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Oh, I realize winter can be a challenge just about anywhere. But we had snow cover for months and had snowshows on them if they went out at all. Couldn't school much outside if at all because you can't see what is under that snow and you know there can be ice and chewed up, refrozen ground under that white blanket.

But the dark was the biggest obstacle because even on nice days you were blind between about 4pm and 8am.

Tell you what, I hated it even riding indoors, driving, parking and slip sliding across to the barn door in the dark were awful.
    Agree with the extended darkness and the ice. I am used to dark at 5pm - but at 3-4PM???? That took getting used to. Not to mention all of the snow and ice then mud during and after the melt.

Plus it was always in the back of my mind. . . .this leather is really cold and stiff - I bet it will break about the time maresy goes yee-ha!!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim