The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winter boot recommendations

I tossed out my old winter riding boots with intent to upgrade. I live in the wild, cold NE, so need something that's pretty warm. Anyone have an recommendations? Ariats? Mtn horse? Thanks!

I just bought some Ariat Bromonts the end of last winter and I highly recommend them ! Much nicer looking than most winter boots, but also warm and comfortable.

Love my Brossards: http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-...x?cm_vc=Search

They don't fit my foot well, but I know a lot of people swear by the mountain horse ice riders: http://www.smartpakequine.com/mounta...x?cm_vc=Search

I pair the winter boots with toe warmers and either fleece or smartwool socks and my feet stay warm even through really cold weather (while I am in PA now, I spent lots of winters in Michigan, and am a terrible cold weenie)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have to say, I got the $25 Horze winter tall boots and have worn them a few times and been very happy with them. No, they are no where as polished as the Bromonts...but they're also $25 and the Bromonts are not.

http://www.horze.com/Horze-Thermo-ta...&cgid=Footwear

I'd probably pay full price for them too, but the codes awesome2 and Lucky-You will get you 50 and 40% off, respectively. Pretty sure at least one of them works.

love my ariat brossards, and I live in the VERY cold weather
    pkn

I have these:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/tuff-r...ot--9817p.aspx

The reviews on SmartPak aren't very good, but I like them! Granted, I only had them last winter which was probably the mildest winter MA has ever had, but I distinctly remember one day where I after I rode I hung around the barn to watch the equine masseuse and even though the rest of me was FREEZING, my feet were toasty - and not at all tired after standing up on the concrete floor for around 3 hours.

A few years ago, I bought some by Mountain Horse. They are not the older model that are pretty thick and cumbersome. Incredibly warm for riding and barn work.

LOVE the Ariat Barnyard H20 pull-ons I bought 3-4 years ago. I got a half-size larger so I could wear thick wool socks and even have room for toe warmers, but I never need the latter because they are STINKING warm and completely waterproof. And yes, that has been tested many times. They are paddock boots, not tall ones, but that is a good option for me most days when I go straight from barn chores to the saddle.

For tall boots I have an old pair of lined ones with a zipper--Middleburg? They are OK, but not as warm as the Ariats.
    Click here before you buy.

I've never gone wrong with the Mountain Horse boots. SO warm. and I wore them in college up un Central NY state....the snowbelt.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Thanks everyone! I think I might give the Ariats a try! A friend of mine has a pair from years ago, that I really like, but they don't make them anymore. I think they had laces up the side.

I just got the non-fleece lined Tuffrider tall boots, $95 on SmartPak. I've worn them down to the 30's and up to the 50's so far and been extremely pleased. They are very warm without feeling bulky, and fit in even my small pair of stirrups. They were great for a whole day of stalls, and I didn't notice them while riding except to note that my normally cold toes felt great. That said, my instructor has the Bromonts and swears by them. Depends on your budget and needs!

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    I have these:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/tuff-r...ot--9817p.aspx

The reviews on SmartPak aren't very good, but I like them! Granted, I only had them last winter which was probably the mildest winter MA has ever had, but I distinctly remember one day where I after I rode I hung around the barn to watch the equine masseuse and even though the rest of me was FREEZING, my feet were toasty - and not at all tired after standing up on the concrete floor for around 3 hours.
    I just got these today from Smartpak and am very pleased for the price. There is plenty of room in the foot for thick socks and toe warmers if you need them. A big concern for me also was that they have plenty of flexion in the foot/ankle as I like my heels DOWN on those nippy, frisky days, and that aspect is fine too. The fleece is not too thick, and to clean just hose them off. We'll see how they hold up, but I'm glad I bought them.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I had the Ariat tall boot model and I hate them. They are hard to get on and even harder to get off. also the velcro latch on the side ripped off on both boots from pulling it tight around my calf. I gave them to a friend of mine who has an abnormally skinny calf. (lol)
    I personally like the Mountain Horse ones. I had to replace the zipper in mine but now they are good and have lasted me almost 4 years.

ETA: I don't mean to steal the thread, but - how are those Tuff rider boots for large calves? I noticed that they only come in regular calf so I'm curious if they're stretchy enough for someone who has slightly larger calves
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nlevie View Post
    I just bought some Ariat Bromonts the end of last winter and I highly recommend them ! Much nicer looking than most winter boots, but also warm and comfortable.
    Love my Bromonts!

vtshale - your friend probably had these: http://www.cavaletticlothing.com/p-9...st-seller.aspx

I really wanted a pair, but could never find them in my size. I would still get them, but just ordered a pair of the Dubarry Breast Cancer awareness boots
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Yes, those are the ones my friend has. But holy crap: 199.95 british pounds!! Yikes. A little out of my price range for seasonal boots.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo7777 View Post
    I just got these today from Smartpak and am very pleased for the price. There is plenty of room in the foot for thick socks and toe warmers if you need them. A big concern for me also was that they have plenty of flexion in the foot/ankle as I like my heels DOWN on those nippy, frisky days, and that aspect is fine too. The fleece is not too thick, and to clean just hose them off. We'll see how they hold up, but I'm glad I bought them.
    Smartpak reviews say these have terrible quality- mojo and roly poly- what do you think?

scubed: I don't know what size you are, but I just found these on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-M-NEW-WOME...item25757e3e8e

I'm a 10 or sometimes 11...

any recommendations on boots for milder winter but lots of water? i need something that will last longer than one winter.....

need them ankle high and if they are lined for cold so much the better - oh and i need to be able to ride in them

i have a pair of mucks like i like but would like something a bit more streamlined if possible...

ideas?

I have these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dublin-...ts/p/X1-38997/

Work well for me. Feet and calves stay warm. I don't ride a lot over the winter so I think for light riding and just around the barn they are good.

Love the adjust-ability on the calves with the "draw string". I had the Ariat Brossard but couldn't adjust them as much and they were much more bulky.