The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Equestrian Reality Show

Featured in the most popular column to the right.

"The first episode of Swapping Saddles will feature a barrel racer competing against a jumper to see who can dominate the other’s sport within the specified guidelines."

Sounds cruel to the horses, more than anything else. It's more likely that the jumper would be able to barrel race than the barrel racer would be able to complete a jump course, don't you agree?

Hopefully it's all in good fun and no horses or people get hurt.

They said Swapping Saddles, not swapping horses. Sounds like the jumper will ride the barrel racers and the barrel person will ride the jumper. If both are decent riders I don't think that's cruel to the horses at all.

I would guess the people involved are probably decent riders already and that they will also be swapping horses or at least using a horse trained in the new discipline they are trying. Also "within the specified guidelines" makes me think they will have reasonable limits such as not expecting the Western rider to jump 3' etc.

Really don't see a problem here. A few years ago the PA National horse show had a celebrity team penning night. Big name riders from the jumpers came out and attempted team penning along with others experienced in that discipline. They were riding loaned team penning horses in Western tack. It was cool and actually gave me some interest in an activity I knew nothing about prior.

I don't have it in my column. When and what channel is suppose to carry it?
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I wrote a feature article on this once, and it was fascinating and great fun. We got Will Simpson, who is a Grand Prix jumper rider, and Les Vogt, a big-time reiner to get together for a day at each other's barn to learn about their sport and get a lesson. Both horsemen were so skilled and had an incredible sense of balance and timing that they were able to transfer those skills into a very different discipline.

It was pretty amazing to see Les Vogt, who had never jumped anything significant, doing a decent job of taking a GP stallion over a 4' fence, and Will Simpson ride beautiful spins and sliding stops on Les's champion reiner (anyone remember Tux n Tails?).

Both of them enjoyed the experience and said they learned a lot and were appreciate of the chance to try something completely different and learn new skills they could take away from the lesson. So I think if it's done right it can be a really positive experience for both horse and rider.

Anybody watch the Mythbusters? Did you see the Titanic episode with James Cameron as the guest star (and chief broom pilot )? Remember what he said about Jack dying?

"Reality TV" is the ultimate oxymoron. That there will be "direction" to ensure the type of drama that Mr. Cameron referred to is absolutely assured.

Maybe taking barrel racer over a few fences or having a jumper run a few patterns won't cause "issues." But then if you haven't got "issues" you haven't got "drama." So if I were going to put some money on the table I'd bet that there will be "issues" and guess who's going to be the focus of the "issues?"

Maybe the whole thing will be benign (read "boring") and it will be over in an episode or two. But likely you'll see the horses bearing the burden of the "drama."

And, like Mr. Cameron says, "Jack has to die."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

The only " reality t.v." I saw was one episode of that show Survivor. That was 13 years ago? I thought that was stupid and as far from reality as you can get. It looks like they are at a new low( is that possible?) in their quest to show how there is no talent in t.v. anymore.

I'd like to see it just because it has horses! Honestly if both riders are good it shouldn't be too bad for the horses, when I started riding english I was surprised at how easy it was switching from a "cowgirl" background... (ok my legs hated me for a while) and then when I took my H/J to a fun show with my parents all of my "fancy riding lessons" surprisingly helped us looks half decent against the real game horses and I did better than I had in the past, much to my fathers head scratching
    Last edited by Stushica; Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post

"The first episode of Swapping Saddles will feature a barrel racer competing against a jumper to see who can dominate the other’s sport within the specified guidelines."

Sounds cruel to the horses, more than anything else. It's more likely that the jumper would be able to barrel race than the barrel racer would be able to complete a jump course, don't you agree?

Hopefully it's all in good fun and no horses or people get hurt.
    Actually, the barrel racer is more likely to do better since Western riders tend to stay out of the horses' mouths more than English riders. So the Western rider may not take as much contact as the horse prefers/is used to, but the English rider will be more likely to 'haul' on the mouth to much and screw up the pattern. As far as the different seats, that is all up to the riders - barrel racers sit more forward than other Wester Riders, so it isn't as different as reining or Western Pleasure.

Personally, having done both in my youth I think barrel racing is easier. But that's just me.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Ugh I havent heard of it! What network?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Actually, the barrel racer is more likely to do better since Western riders tend to stay out of the horses' mouths more than English riders. So the Western rider may not take as much contact as the horse prefers/is used to, but the English rider will be more likely to 'haul' on the mouth to much and screw up the pattern. As far as the different seats, that is all up to the riders - barrel racers sit more forward than other Wester Riders, so it isn't as different as reining or Western Pleasure.
    I don't think "English riders" haul on the mouth.....that's silly to think that way. I don't ride western ever, but on the trail I ride on the buckle because that's how my horse likes to go. It's not brain surgery, it's good hands.

No but I think they're trying to say that because an english rider takes up more contact, that taking up contact on a curb, it might have a different outcome!

Chronicle Article

Produced by Royal Champion

Airing on Royal Champion's YouTube page

The "Interview with Joie Gatlin" gives so much insight into show jumping

watched the preview.... where did they find the show jumper

After watching the preview it sounds like a whole lot of English riders bashing western and western riders bashing English.

I'll probably watch though lol

Where's the preview and what network?
    Friend of bar .ka

It's not on a network ... see above.

"Horses and riders will be put to the ultimate test when taken out of their comfort zone and forced to compete with little time to practice."

I still don't think it's very fair to the horses to put a rider on them that is "out of their comfort zone" and forced to compete ... and pretty silly, actually.

As Guilherme said, there's got to be drama, and I think the horses will bear the brunt of the mistakes the riders will make.

Why put a horse to the ultimate test? That's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    What does this mean? Do you mean on the ad's on the right hand side of this forum? I see nothing!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!