The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I can identify with the email problem. I don't mind having lots of emails, most of the time, because I can use the search function. My sister, on the other hand, is a "clean it out every day" person and we can't understand each other on this issue!

As far as horsey magazines, I definitely hoard those. However, I am moving for the second time in a year and I was despairing over these magazines. A good friend made a suggestion: yes, you might want one of those articles at some point. But for the most part, you could probably replace the magazine with a good book (for training, or veterinary care, etc.). Just get rid of the magazines and keep all your books. (I have a lot of hard cover horse books...)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

"Well, the paper back version is $1.50, and the kindle version is $9."
    "Just spend the $1.50."
    "But then you have to store it and HAVE IT AROUND."
    "But it's 8 extra dollars."
    "If you get the kindle, you can keep it to reread without HAVING IT AROUND. If you get the book, you either have to give it away and not be able to reread it ever or be able to reread it someday but have to BE THE CUSTODIAN OF IT."
    "$1.50"
    "$9"
    "CUSTODIAN."
    "KINDLE."
    "**omfg!!!!***"

*skips buying book altogether*
    Borrow e-books from your library. They are free and won't even clutter your Kindle, as most expire after a certain period of time and *poof*

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    How can you have so many emails?? Why? My personal inbox has 22 emails, plus another five or six in my "shopping" folder that I use for order confirmations.

Because I never delete any!

I have a gmail account so I just search if there is an old one I want to find. Otherwise every single email I have ever received from an individual (JCrew and Brooks Brothers etc I delete) is in thetr. Scheduling lessons ib 2010? Still there. A friend asking should I buy this turbout or that one? Got it. My flight info from May of last year? Only a search away.

The search function makes finding stuff easy so it isn't necessary ro organize.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    They may honestly feel relieved if you give them fair notice of a deadline and then follow through on disposal. It takes the responsibility out of their hands and they can "blame you" for a while but be secretly happy that that load of crap is taken care of.

I am not a hoarder by any stretch but I still occasionally will donate, for example, a broken lamp to the Salvation Army under the rationale of, "well....maybe somebody wants to fix this?" I know they will probably throw it away immediately but I would feel bad "not giving the lamp a chance" or whatever, so rather than having the whole discussion with myself and to and froing about it, I just put it in a box, drop it off, and let someone else who is less emotionally invested make the call.

This is probably what they are doing on a much larger scale.
    You sound like me about the lamp. The Salvation Army used to get the people they were helping to repair donated lamps and other small appliances. Part of their retraining, rehab program. Wonder if they still do that.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    You sound like me about the lamp. The Salvation Army used to get the people they were helping to repair donated lamps and other small appliances. Part of their retraining, rehab program. Wonder if they still do that.
    No they don't, things are cheap now and cheaply made so doesn't happen, now they toss in the bin and have to pay to take it away.

Some stores have E-waste. Contact your local recycle and they will let you know where you can take household items for recycle.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

So, OP, today's the 20th, what's the update?

As for mail clutter, look up the national Do Not Mail list (not sure of the exact name) and submit your name and address. It takes a month or two to really see the difference, but it definitely cuts down on the junk mail. I actually sent mine in more than once, a year or so apart, and that seemed to catch more of the stragglers that were getting through previously.

For email clutter, you can set up several email accounts on yahoo or gmail and separate out *junk* mail or subscriptions. In other words, if you're going to give out your email for an ad, or in order to place an order online, or other temporary use, keep an email account *strictly* for that type of correspondence. I use another for subscriptions (COTH, email lists, newsletters, etc.). One for personal email which I give out to friends and family. Plus, I also have a separate work email. Yeah, it's a lot of switching back and forth (and too many passwords!), but, it helps keep it organized and I can simply check only the personal and work accounts, and leave the subscriptions and the junk address for when I have time.

My weakness is not deleting dog- and horse-related subscription emails that I really don't have time to read -- I spend too much time reading CoTH to keep up with them. But I do either find time to read a bunch of back issues (digests) at one time, or, grit my teeth and delete them unread.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Saddlebreds, Dragons, Western Roses, & Cairns

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

You can also do the "opt out" for the credit card offers at:
    https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

If you follow the directions you can opt out forever. You might have to reapply when you move, but the only credit offers I get are from AAA or other companies I deal with. I definitely shred all address labels and offers like this to prevent someone getting them and filling it out, with another address.
    I also never donate electronic items light lamps, because I keep them til they die, and replace them, so they' re bad anyway. And when someone gives you something electrical like a lamp, and it's so old the electrical cords are crispy, then it's not safe to pass that one, because people will try to use them without fixing them, and they could cause a fire.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    . . . I also never donate electronic items light lamps, because I keep them til they die, and replace them, so they' re bad anyway. And when someone gives you something electrical like a lamp, and it's so old the electrical cords are crispy, then it's not safe to pass that one, because people will try to use them without fixing them, and they could cause a fire.
    Some older style hardware stores (not sure about the big box stores) will carry replacement sockets and wire and plugs. We've rewired the same lamp twice because I knocked it over and broke the Mogul base porcelain socket quite a few years after I fixed it the first time, that was an antique floor lamp, and another one that has a shade. It's tedious work but easy enough. The new sockets are junk but evidently most new inexpensive stuff is cheaply made so really it's a wash.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

You can also do the "opt out" for the credit card offers at:
    https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi
    Wow, this and the direct mail opt-out are excellent pieces of information, thanks for sharing! Other than a few magazines and Netflix, I get nothing by mail like bills, etc, everything is online. Yet I go away for a week and have a mailbox full of what is essentially trash Hopefully signing up for these will help!

ReSomething-in my family the heirlooms are 1960's era cheapo lamps or small appliances from the dime store, or were picked up at garage sales. The rewiring kits would cost more than the lamp was ever worth, and you still have to get a new shade, because my relatives have different taste than I do (think Addams family taste for them).

And do not underestimate the potential for rage or aggressiveness if you get rid of someone's junk, and the hoarder shows now have onset security from several incidents with confrontational realtives and hoarders. Believe me, everything you agree to store and make the person pick up, or toss will be a poiint of contention forever. And everything becomes extremely valuable when you toss it, even dirty used items that are truly worthless.
    Last edited by JanM; Oct. 22, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I get a high volume of email and here is how I handle it.

First, I use gmail, which is the best free email service in my opinion. I have a large number of filters that sorts and labels mail automatically as it comes in. You set the filter to watch for certain incoming email addresses or keywords that you get frequently.

So for example, anything that comes from any of my banks or credit card companies gets labelled "FINANCIAL" and I have sub-labels underneath for the different banks, and a label I use to tag tax-related things, etc. so I can refer to them later. Advertisements or special offers are automatically marked "ADS" and marked 'read' instead of sitting there unread because I usually don't need to open them. I can easily go in and purge all ADS that are older than 3 months if I want to.

Also, a lot of stores/companies spread your email address around. Make use of the 'unsubscribe' link in the fine print at the bottom of emails from companies you are not interested in.

I hate having a bunch of unread mail. I use my phone to alert me when I get new mail and the alert doesn't work if I never clear the unread mail. Gmail lets you mark mail with a star; I use the star to mark anything I need to follow-up on instead of using it's 'unread' status to highlight that I need to take action on it. Gmail lets you have 3 inboxes shown - one for unread mail, one for starred mail, and one for everything else. Also, clicking on a label brings up all mail I've marked with that label.

I have probably close to 60 labels, most are assigned automatically. I do the same with my work emails.

ReSomething-in my family the heirlooms are 1960's era cheapo lamps or small appliances from the dime store, or were picked up at garage sales. The rewiring kits would cost more than the lamp was ever worth, and you still have to get a new shade, because my relatives have different taste than I do (think Addams family taste for them).

And do not underestimate the potential for rage or aggressiveness if you get rid of someone's junk, and the haorder shows now have onset security from several incidents with confrontational realtives and haorders. Believe me, everything you agree to store and make the person pick up, or toss will be a poiint of contention forever. And everything becomes extremely valuable when you toss it, even dirty used items that are truly worthless.

true, but if the OP has to build a new shed to accomodate her relative's junk, that won't work well either in terms of family relations.

Either way it's not pretty!
    (my mom stored her brother's junk for a while. And kept his three dogs...
    At first things went well, then the bag of dogfood ran out and nothing new appeared. Eventually she made him get his stuff - all his equipment from his landscaping business, and the 3 GSD dogs...and boy was she ever the bad guy!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I'm not saying to keep the junk, just that there will be whining for many years about getting rid of it. A truly mean person would get volunteers, garbage bags, and deliver the junk to the hoarders' front porch. I never keep anything for anybody, after watching how my relatives dump stuff and leave it forever.

I believe this all falls under the 12th commandment-No good deed goes unpunished, and NO is a complete sentence.

They came and got the stuff without telling me while they knew I wasn't going to be home. When these strange vehicles showed up at my house and started loading up stuff my neighbor got concerned and called the cops. Whoops!

And, instead of donating it, they took it over to my elderly parent's house and dumped it in their basement. So once they kick the bucket, I'm sure I'll get to deal with it then. Lucky me!

Wow, just wow

Quote Originally Posted by Belltello View Post
    I need a tactful way to deal with this without causing a rift in the family.

Personally, I'm about ready to pull the stuff out and take it to the burn barrel and light it up but I know that would cause a major meltdown. With winter coming, I need my space back. Can anyone give me some tactful ways of evicting the hoarder from my barn?
    I think you answered your own question. Tell your brother that he has X amount of days to remove his stuff or you will do it for him. Then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belltello View Post
    And, instead of donating it, they took it over to my elderly parent's house and dumped it in their basement. So once they kick the bucket, I'm sure I'll get to deal with it then. Lucky me!
    As the heiress of record on TWO hoarder houses, I can empathise with you. At least at that point we can heave-ho with no interferance.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    As the heiress of record on TWO hoarder houses, I can empathise with you. At least at that point we can heave-ho with no interferance.
    Or light a match. Just sayin'
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Trust me, it's crossed my mind. But there is stuff in there I still want I'll have to dig for the treasure.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

My mother/daughter relationship was a bit strained last year when it became apparent that I viewed the family farm as more of a liability than an asset. But no, Mom, thanks anyway. I'll keep my nice little house that my husband and I have already invested years and thousands in. Feel free to sell this muddy heap to someone else. I'll miss it, but I have photos.
    ~ Dave Barry