The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by Belltello View Post
    They came and got the stuff without telling me while they knew I wasn't going to be home. When these strange vehicles showed up at my house and started loading up stuff my neighbor got concerned and called the cops. Whoops!

And, instead of donating it, they took it over to my elderly parent's house and dumped it in their basement. So once they kick the bucket, I'm sure I'll get to deal with it then. Lucky me!
    You have great neighbors!

At least the stuff is out of your barn but hopefully it won't be in your parents way in the basement.

Yes JanM. Some of it really is trash.

I actually thought about removing the post because isn't the idea that you could "fix it someday", or "use it someday" the biggest rationale that harders have for saving (or trying to use!) their broken toaster ovens that catch the curtains on fire (my MIL) and other objets d'art? Although the level five hoarders (trash, food and feces on the floor) do baffle me.

Has anybody seen a barn hoarded out? Do the animals lose their housing first thing or are they made to wade through piled manure or piled houshold objects for a period of time?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

There was actually a lady on hoarders that had one huge storage unit her husband knew about, she had hoarded their house in all of the spare bedrooms, had about 4 more huge storage units her husband didn't know about, and rented an empty store that was something like 9,000 sq feet, and hoarded her son's basement floor to ceiling. The son lived close by I think. After the show the house was good, the old store was emptied, and she had one storage unit for holiday type items-but no mention was made of the basement. Basement hoards are the worst, because if they get vermin no one knows until cleanup or until the vermin start infiltrating the rest of the house, If there's a water leak or other leak no one knows until they clean up or. until the smell starts. You can't get to mechanicals to repair anything, and most basements are where furnaces and other mechanicals are.

Barn hoarders are either animal hoarders too, and the animals are packed in, or the barn is empty of animals and used for storage floor to ceiling. Unfortunately, with the barns not being sealed and climate controlled thing deteriorate, and vermin move in.

Bell-make sure your nice neighbors have your cell phone number, and call someday when your relatives drop by in the spring and try to refill the tractor parking area. I have relatives that would pull that stunt, so there's a reason they don't have keys to my place.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Dang, I feel for your parents OP. Bless their hearts...now their home is cluttered.

I am messy enough without taking on someone else's stuff

I will get on a kick and throw stuff out like crazy. I have done arts and crafts for years and a few months ago I went through a bunch of stuff and threw away all kinds of crap.

sometimes it was just paper and magazines. My house keeper would stack things that had arrived and I didn't throw away. I went through it and got rid of it. I used to collect tea pots. Haven't bought a new tea pot in YEARS. I need to go through my clothes and get rid of a bunch of it.

There is a house we hope to acquire one day. The old lady is a hoarder and the house is stacked to the ceiling. She is childless/widow and my husband's office mate's mother is the executor of the will. There is a huge metal barn that is new, an old wooden barn, a little brick building in the back of the house where the old lady groomed her show dogs. She used to show horses and dogs. Won't let anyone but Mrs. Shannon in the house.

If we ever get it we will most likely have to gut it or tear it down!
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    *stands*

Hi, my name is Ambar, and I too own a complete run of Equus that I can't bear to trash.
    My name is 5 and I have about six decades* of Western horseman magazines.

*(98% complete run from 1943- 2000ish then I ran out of steam)
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Has anybody seen a barn hoarded out? Do the animals lose their housing first thing or are they made to wade through piled manure or piled houshold objects for a period of time?
    Was looking for a small place a few years back. Looked at one place that had a gorgeous, new house and an older barn. Barn was a decent size but was full of junk. Old fridges, an old VW (iirc) and tons of stuff - floor to ceiling. Did a double take when I realized there were two horses living in it! Don't know how they moved around. One of the conditions of our offer was that the place be cleaned out. Our offer was declined.

If anyone runs into a hoarder situation, and wants to offer on it you might keep something in mind. My understanding is that, depending on the company and location, that the junker trucks that furnish movers, and disposal services cost something like $1,000 per truck. You might find someone cheaper, but it's still something you need to consider before buying a hoarded location, or when bidding on a seriously junked house/barn/outbuildings. And you never know what the weight and neglect can do to a property under all of the junk. It's a sad situation.

When we moved into our house (DH's great-grandfather's) it had been empty for many years and so all the junk on the farm that might be used one day ended up there.

I don't know if you'd call that hoarding or not - in my part of the world, people in the country tend to hang onto things because "one day somebody might need it." And nobody lived there.

OMG. It took days of loading the back of the pickup with everything from old cabinet TVs and chest freezers to old farm implements. I found shed snake skins all over the place under the clutter, so I imagine it had been there quite awhile. The (chicken) snake still lives under the house - he's gigantic by now. Comes out once or twice a year and gives the dogs a scare.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    If anyone runs into a hoarder situation, and wants to offer on it you might keep something in mind. My understanding is that, depending on the company and location, that the junker trucks that furnish movers, and disposal services cost something like $1,000 per truck. You might find someone cheaper, but it's still something you need to consider before buying a hoarded location, or when bidding on a seriously junked house/barn/outbuildings. And you never know what the weight and neglect can do to a property under all of the junk. It's a sad situation.
    I suppose it depends on the area but I called the 1-800-Got-Junk people about hauling off some of the junk around my dad's house. They charge by the amount of junk they have to haul off. I believe the minimum charge was around $86 for a third of a truck load and the maximum for a full truck was $386. That was for a truck and 2 people to load up the trash. The trucks are about the size of a bobtail dump truck.

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    *stands*

Hi, my name is Ambar, and I too own a complete run of Equus that I can't bear to trash.
    Raises hand but attempting recovery starting with old Practical Horseman's...

It's ENTIRELY because they so cleverly started off by numbering them! Now I am compelled to keep every number from one through infinity!!!
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Wire-I think they charge more for a true hoarder situation, but it depends on the location and the difficulty of removal and loading, and how many people they need for the job too. The tv show hoarders are the most extreme cases, and much of the garbage (sorry valuable items) they remove can't go to normal landfill areas. Some cities also remove any amount of stuff if you get it close to the curb, but many charge extra for certain items like construction or oversized items, or for huge quantities.

Your descriptions of floor to ceiling, and of neighbors calling the cops reminded me of a whacko situation years ago.

When I first got married, hubby (now ex) decided we needed to move overseas where he used to work. We had the house of our dreams, out in the country, but not far from Saratoga. I used to be a real estate agent in the area. We eventually put our house on the market after a couple of years overseas.

One day (back before e-mails and the internet were everywhere) we received a phone call from our wonderful neighbors - he a big exec at GE. They were terribly embarrassed, but had to make the call. They saw a moving van enter our driveway, and then saw furniture going in and out of the van, so they called the State Police.

One of the agents from my former office, who had always had myriad credit issues (she had her bills addressed to the office so her husband wouldn't see them), had to immediately vacate her apartment, and needed a place to quickly store her stuff. The story is that she told the office manager that she had faxed me a letter overseas asking if she could store all her stuff in my garage, and only respond if it wasn't ok?!? Of course, since we never received the fax, the liar said we must have accepted her request.

My neighbor wondered, had we ok'd it, and forgotten to inform her? (Since she was keeping an eye on the place.) She took pictures of the garage and it was PACKED solid, with legs of furniture scraping the ceilings (sheet-rocked!) and only enough room to spare to get through to the kitchen entrance. Needless to say, I immediately called my manager, good buddies of lying woman, and all were so innocent, and actually tried to blame the mess on us!! We demanded the junk be removed immediately, or we'd press charges - although the State Police remarked that might be hard to do since they had a key for showing the house, and didn't take anything?

They removed all the crap, although we didn't return home until a few months later. In fact, a few packages were mistakenly left behind on hubby's workbench. Now, in my house today, I might probably be considered a hoarder , but back then, that was a beautiful house, and her doing that was absolutely absurd - let alone so wrong when it was listed for sale, and should have been left in pristine condition to show.

To this day, the woman has moved up in the organization, and done very well for herself. But I know several manipulations also done on her behalf before we moved away, that made her sound like an early success story/million dollar award winner. She teaches company courses, and a couple years ago a friend took one, and heard her lie about her beginnings. But I know what they were really like.

She really was a winner. When a good attorney/friend categorized real estate agents as not to be trusted, I took offense, but then thought back to Ms Nutjob, and could see his point.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes