The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Manure Compost & Green Tomatoes

Grew my tomatoes in lovely composted horse manure. Still producing tomatoes. Freeze excepted this weekend.So, I know how to make Fried Green Tomatoes, but you can only eat so many of them Please post your Green Tomato Recipes.
    Thanks.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

There are also recipes to be found for green tomato relish and pickled green tomatoes..... I don't care for them but lots do love both
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Yes to Pickled Green Tomatoes. Unfortunately, I don't have a personal tried & true recipe for you, but my parents used to put up huge batches of Pickled Green Tomatoes at the end of every summer. Think dill pickles, but wedges/quarters of green tomatoes instead. There are lots of recipes out there for them, all pretty much the same except for spiciness/sweetness. My parents' made them on the spicy side.

You can't go wrong with any of the offerings from Taste of Home
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I feel your pain.
    I also garden with composted manure & this year the yellow pear tomatoes have taken over the World!

I do love pickled green tomatoes even more than the cucumber ones.
    Soon my remaining little greenies will go into a jar of brine for refrigerator pickles.
    They last 4-Ever - I am still eating some of last year's.

http://www.mrswheelbarrow.com/2010/0...reen-tomatoes/

And I have a soup recipe that basically uses cut up green tomatoes in a chicken or vegetable broth base adding some carmelized onions and BACON!!! : 9

http://www.food.com/recipe/green-tomato-soup-141324

CMare:
    Yum!
    I found a recipe for a tomato pie on that site that sounds like a great way to use up the green ones
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I made green tomato salsa.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Green tomato soup with ham, seriously good and uses 8 green tomatoes!

2 tablespoons butter
    4 to 6 ounces country ham or smoked ham, diced
    1 small onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups chicken broth
    8 medium green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    2 medium red tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
    1/4 teaspoon celery salt
    dash Tabasco sauce, optional
    salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:
    Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; add ham, onion, and garlic. Sauté, stirring, until onion is tender. Add chicken broth, chopped green and red tomatoes, and minced jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Working in batches, pulse in a blender or food processor until almost smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and add celery salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce, as desired. Serves 4-6.

Thanks Younghunter!!

Definitely looks like a soup I'll really enjoy, even if I do sub in turkey ham for the regular stuff.

Default Green Tomato Mincemeat

My uncle always made this with equal parts of green tomatoes and apples. Use your favorite pie spices, brown sugar and a stick of butter for each quart and some citrus peel. It is seasonal, but actually makes a nice gift.

We are rapidly heading towards freezing season too I have 6 heirloom tomato plants (that are huge now) and am planning to try and extend their life with row covers. Just a thought for you to consider.
    We put plastic pipe around the raised beds and bought cloth that we will clamp to the pipes.
    When we planted the garden last spring, we had a late season freeze. My neighbors lost plants, but ours survived....... Clearly it wont work all winter (sigh) but it will keep up in tomatoes for a while longer.........

An unexpected turn of fate has kept me from the BB the past few weeks.

Freeze was a light one and didn't even effect my basil! Tonite we are suppose to have a hard freeze of 25 degrees.

Just happen to have a ham bone,so I will be making soup! Can't wait to try the other recipes. Thanks to you all.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

I don't have any green tomato recipes, but when the first hard freeze came, my mother always used to uproot the tomato plants and hang them upside down in the basement. Somehow, a lot of the tomatoes still on the vine would ripen that way.

I was told to take out the plant with the green tomatoes on it and hang it upside down indoor somewhere. The local "expert", someone named Cisco? on KIRO radio. I am going to try it, anyone have any idea if this is valid for getting the ts to ripen?
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy