The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just wanted to clarify again that this is not my horse, and I only have a limited knowledge of his past history as I do not ride at the barn he is at.

I agree with a lot of the points that Isabeau made which is why I was shocked by what some were quoting. That is not to say I don't think the horse could be worth $20,000 but I would think to be worth that he would have to be out proving himself to be consistently competitive at 2nd level or above.

The owner is not expecting to get much money out of him at all (well below any of the numbers that have been quoted on this thread), is not trying to market him, but if someone comes along would be more than happy to sell him. He has such an amazing disposition that it seems like a waste for him to be sitting out in a field doing nothing which was why I asked whether there was a market for a horse like him.

I would love to know where all theae ammie-friendly, good tempered, 2nd level horses with flying changes for under 10K are. I sure didn't find any when I was looking!
    Last edited by inca; Oct. 12, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    I would love to know where all theae ammie-friendly, good tempered, End level horses with flying changes for under 10K are. I sure didn't find any when I was looking!
    The part which was missing to me was 1) why no more jumping and 2) that the horse had a clue about contact (needs "some" retraining?)

I think any of the prices thrown out could be correct, depending on what the reasons are. But I'm suspicious of a former jumper who is no longer jumping - because the reasons which come up for me are either temperament or soundness. And if the horse has a great temperament.... For that reason I lean toward the lower price ranges.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I agree, there are a LOT of unknown factors with this horse. Hard to really know without sitting on the horse and see how ammie-friendly he is and if he has any clue about the beginnings of collection.

So, I suppose his price really could be anywhere from $7,500-$20,000 depending on how sound he is and how many holes are in his training.

But, if he truly has a wonderful temperament and has easy flying changes, I wouldn't sell him for $7,500, if I thought he could handle collection with a little more training.

I think pricing is a confusing issue. I know of 2 horses recently that were given away after attempts to sell for $40k, then $20k, then offers of $12k were turned down.

In one case, a mare was given away as a broodmare, but the trainer managed to rehab the animal, and now her students are showing it. In the second situation, the animal was eventually donated to a college.

I believe CKD para-horse was donated to Centenary.

In my area, many BNT trainers would rather (apparently) quietly give a horse away rather than selling anything for less than $30K. Image, I guess? But I have known it to happen over, and over, and over.

I myself have received FREE horses that BNTs would rather quietly give away than sell out of their barns for $5k.

If this is the horse of the same description I have seen on facebook, he needs a fair amount of retraining before I'd consider him a second level horse. Looks like a pleasant sort and not a bad mover naturally... but those changes are not clean, and that is shorter strides, not collection.

I'd lean toward the lower end of the price ranges given IF he's sound, just because he seems a nice type but awfully experienced w/ mileage to start learning how to bend his hind legs now. He looks like he'd be a fun project to play with... just not one to spend a lot on.

I haven't posted him on Facebook, and don't know if anyone else has but the video I have seen of him doesn't show him doing lead changes and I didn't ask for them in the couple rides I had as he is out of shape. He definitely has things that would need to be polished up to be competitive in dressage but he goes forward well into a contact, is relaxed about having someone sit down in a dressage seat, and seems very ammie friendly.

Honestly, if his owners want to sell him, best course of action is to have a respected local dressage pro evaluate him. There are far too many "ifs" for anyone to give a realistic price. Ammie friendly goes a LONG way in selling a horse!

he's got try, that's for sure, but lacks balance. I can tell he's been worked in draw reins too. He's the sort of horse I'd take a chance on, but not for gobs of money.
    If he passed a vet, in his current condition and training, he'd probably go for about $3-7k locally... at least that seems to be what I've been hearing. It'll take him 6 months of fitness and training before he'd be capable of a 2nd level test at a schooling show.
    Last edited by Petstorejunkie; Oct. 31, 2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: gender
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

My biggest concern after watching the video is he appears to be dragging his hind feet, and lacking clear rhythm in all gaits. When was he shown 2nd level, and was it rated or schooling show?

If I were the owner, I would get a good chiro/equine vet to have a good look at him ASAP. He appears to be a very, very kind fellow but blockage somewhere between his back and hind ends is preventing him from using his body, and as a result, he does not scream dressage horse prospect. Once the underlying issue is resolved, many will fawn over him I should think.

Whats the breeding if you can say?

He went to a rated dressage show and scored in the low 60's at 1st and 2nd level. This was early in the summer, and he had been sitting in a field doing nothing since.

The thing that has amazed me he most is how much try he has. He has not shown any resistance to what I have asked of him, has lovely ground manners, and is a true example of a gentle giant.

Petstorejunkie I think your description of him is very accurate, and more what I would have anticipated people's feedback to be. In the last couple rides he has gotten more balanced but can't hold it at this point I believe due to lack of fitness. The way I see it from a human personal training background you couldn't take a couch potato and make them run a 5km road race with great form, and the same principles hold true for horses so am thrilled that we are starting to get moments where he is able to balance and use himself.

To answer twin creek farms he is a registered Hanoverian sired by Evergreen. I do not know the dam's line so can not say more than who he is by.

Also please everyone keep in mind that I am not asking whether he will be an upper level prospect, my question is more "will people be open to a horse with a jumper past to be a kind lower level amateur mount"

i am not sure what you mean by "dressage horse"? any sound horse can do lower level dressage as long as they have the correct training. how much people will pay depends a lot on who is selling, the market and how pretty the horse is.

for a horse that does not have any specific dressage training i am not sure how you can market him as a "dressage horse" - maybe prospect, but he is not young.

instead of going the "dressage horse"route, why not sell him as a all rounder who cant jump? you would widen your market and be more fair as to him training.

my guess is based on info given 10-12k *maybe* depending on who is selling etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by adelmo95 View Post

my question is more "will people be open to a horse with a jumper past to be a kind lower level amateur mount"
    of course. but. (pls read posts above )

When i was shopping, I was willing to consider a former jumper as a dressage prospect, but I was careful to watch for a horse that didn't track up at trot or over track at walk, as these things both seemed to be commonly broken with former jumpers. I also was careful to watch for horses that didn't really understand contact; difficulty lengthening, doing stretch walk/trot, remaining pole high.

Counter canter also seemed to be a common issue, although this horse seemed fine in this respect.

With this horse's background, I would also want to make sure the horse didn't become unglued at shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Size. 17.2hh is really, kinda, too big for a lot of amateur dressage (read mild mannered, not brave, and not strong) ladies to ride.

Agree. This is how I've been able to get screaming deals on very nice, very big horses. I have long legs and am not exactly mild mannered.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    When i was shopping, I was willing to consider a former jumper as a dressage prospect, but I was careful to watch for a horse that didn't track up at trot or over track at walk, as these things both seemed to be commonly broken with former jumpers. I also was careful to watch for horses that didn't really understand contact; difficulty lengthening, doing stretch walk/trot, remaining pole high.
    This^^^. The simple question of "will I consider a former jumper for dressage?" is "Of Course!". However, I will be very wary about one who shows disconnect between front ends and hind ends. That is not fitness issue. An out of shape horse will not show brilliant gaits, but should still have correct working gaits and regular foot beats. A horse as is shown in the video tape I will not consider for dressage (though I will use dressage works as part of rehabilitation program for him if he were at my barn). I will, however, consider him as a school horse by his stellar temperament, which, believe it or not, may fetch more than a low level dressage horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post

I myself have received FREE horses that BNTs would rather quietly give away than sell out of their barns for $5k.
    This happens because if they can find a home where someone ELSE is now picking up the bill, sometimes it is just worth it to not have a board payment.
    I sold my BIG warmblood last year in October for a fraction of what he was worth because I had an offer on him. After paying 6 months of training board on him, it was worth it just to get out from under the board payment.

Looking at this horse's movement, I would turn him down. He doesn't track up at all and almost looks off at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    he's got try, that's for sure, but lacks balance. I can tell he's been worked in draw reins too. He's the sort of horse I'd take a chance on, but not for gobs of money.
    If he passed a vet, in his current condition and training, he'd probably go for about $3-7k locally... at least that seems to be what I've been hearing. It'll take him 6 months of fitness and training before he'd be capable of a 2nd level test at a schooling show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    My biggest concern after watching the video is he appears to be dragging his hind feet, and lacking clear rhythm in all gaits. When was he shown 2nd level, and was it rated or schooling show?

If I were the owner, I would get a good chiro/equine vet to have a good look at him ASAP. He appears to be a very, very kind fellow but blockage somewhere between his back and hind ends is preventing him from using his body, and as a result, he does not scream dressage horse prospect. Once the underlying issue is resolved, many will fawn over him I should think.
    Where's the video everyone's talking about? Your descriptions sure sound like the horse I saw on facebook, and I'd agree with PSJ about the price if so...

yes video please?

But in this market 7-12K depending on quality of movement, soundness, ridability, etc.