The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quarter Horses in Eventing!

Ok... so don't hate me because I searched and found a small thread that was a few years ago. So I just wanted to see if there was anyone new that has evented on Quarter Horses and we can talk about it!

There is a horse I am seriously looking into - He's a ex racehorse QH and I really like him. He is big, and looks like a TB with a QH butt to me. I also found out that he has somewhat similar lines to Acapulco Jazz!
    I have a soft spot for Quarter horses because my first and last Event horse was a Cow bred Quarter that is now retired and I still own. Here and here

Here is the guy - I'm going to call the owner tonight

ETA: post pics if you have them! I am weird and just love seeing photos of other rider's horses
    Last edited by KateMcCall; Oct. 8, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Worth looking at. His sire was one beautiful hunk of a horse. I'd want to see this one move a bit. A race bred quarter horse could very well event..they are often a good phenotype.

One I started as a kid was hot hot hot (hotter than any OTTB that I've had) and had a great jump...but dressage was not his thing. Good luck.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Worth looking at. His sire was one beautiful hunk of a horse. I'd want to see this one move a bit. A race bred quarter horse could very well event..they are often a good phenotype.

One I started as a kid was hot hot hot (hotter than any OTTB that I've had) and had a great jump...but dressage was not his thing. Good luck.
    I know! I thought his sire was gorgeous. So sad he died in a barn fire!
    Eventers of the West

Sure, why not QH? As long the horse has the right stuff to do the job, the breed isn't that relevant.

I competed a 14.2h QH for a while, he had a big jump for a little guy If I had gotten him as a 4 or 5 yr old instead of 14 I'd have been posting "look at my pony do a CCI*" threads. He was a real athlete in a small package. Moved more like a show hunter than an eventer. I know jack didly about QH bloodlines, but from what I could determine is that his sire was a HUS guy.

My first horse, and the first horse I took Prelim, was a Quarter Horse, so I don't see any reason not to event one! My guy was part race bred I think, although I know very little about Quarter Horse bloodlines! He could jump the moon, especially in showjumping, and was a decent dressage horse, scoring mid-30s even at Prelim. His biggest challenge especially as he got older was keeping him fit enough for the cross-country; I swear we did almost nothing but fitness work while running Prelim!

I LOVE my Quarter Horse! There is something about a QH, something safe, something reassuring. Just like a big dog in your pocket. They are loyal, kind, brave, and honest. You will have a friend for life in a quarter horse. The list could go on and on about attributes of a QH. I myself am not very brave But having a horse that can be brave for me has helped me so much, not to mention forgiving;-) I love my quarter horses I have dealt with them all my life. I always think I might try something different, but I keep coming back, they are addictive you can never own just one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeryder View Post
    I LOVE my Quarter Horse! There is something about a QH, something safe, something reassuring. Just like a big dog in your pocket. They are loyal, kind, brave, and honest. You will have a friend for life in a quarter horse. The list could go on and on about attributes of a QH. I myself am not very brave But having a horse that can be brave for me has helped me so much, not to mention forgiving;-) I love my quarter horses I have dealt with them all my life. I always think I might try something different, but I keep coming back, they are addictive you can never own just one :-)
    This is one of the reasons I really hope this guy is nice. I just recently broke my back on a big Hanoverian and now I am just wanting to find a nice, safe horse that I can have fun with, even if he doesn't make it past training level.
    Eventers of the West

I grew up with quarter horses. Several of them were amazing jumpers, so he may end up surprising you. I really like quarter horses, appys and paints, especially when they have a good dollop of TB in them like this guy does.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I love QHs and this one is really well bred as a runner. First Down Dash and Easy Jet, with a nice look to him. Might be over at the knee, can't tell from the pics.

I grew up on QHs, 2 of my 4 are now Appendix and I only have one caution -- be careful evaluating the temperament, as BFNE says. My racing-bred QH is hot, hot, hot. At 20 he is still a firecracker. He never did settle on the flat with any consistency. I know a few other racing-bred QHs and some are dolls, others feisty.

On the good side, he is a wonderful jumper. I had offers from two SJ USET riders for him when he was young. He has the most amazing back end and so careful. I never sold him because I could NEVER have replaced him.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I'm eventing on a QH now... well... sort of. He's 3/4 TB. Mom was an appendix (and my Char's turnout BFF). He's got the go and the brain is SO nice and relaxed. He's a lot of fun.

If they have the athleticism and proper gaits, why not?
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Pigeon holing and stereotyping are considered counter productive where humans are concerned. No different with horses.

Why the Quarter Horse is not used more in jumping breeding is beyond me. The breed often offers both a great engine and cattiness that is far beyond what most WBs are capable of. Why not use those traits?

Forget breed. Just look at the horse in front of you.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Yes viney, to be clear, I am *not* stereotyping racebred QHs as hot. But lots of people assume QHs are all placid, easy-go-lucky snoozers and you can't make that assumption any more than than all TBs are sensitive, spooky looneys. Some are, many aren't.

My horse (the one in my profile) is a racebred QH with 1/4 TB. Sweetest horse on the ground, so-so in dressage, absolute firecracker over fences, and athletic as all get out. My trainer at the time said he was the second hottest horse she's ridden, next to her 3* Holsteiner mare. I competed him throughout high school (Novice/Training) and at the ripe age of 19, Mom is doing dressage with him. He's as sound as a dollar, and besides hock maintenance, has never had issues in the past 10 years we've had him. QHs are great! Go get your next one.

More photos from back in the day here.

The love of my life is a QH horse mare, picture in my profile. She is cutting bred on top and racing on bottom. She was born on my grandfather's ranch when I was 8. She turns 21 in February.

After short sessions of barrel racing and hunters I found eventing when I was in high school and took her through Training. She came to college with me but we didn't complete, I was busy with the Equestrain Team and classes.

After college I found an eventing coach and we went up through Prelim. Really wanted to do a Training 3-Day with her but the year we qualified was 2008 and funds were too tight to make the trip (a gas fund issue, with the T3D being in AZ and I am in TX). I bred her in 2009 and after the colt was weaned I played around at Novice/Training level again with her.

Official retired her this past August, she was doing great but I started to feel small changes and with her age I didn't want to push anymore. I have her colt to start in the Spring so I am excited about that.

Dressage was always a challenge and we practiced it more then anything else!! XC was never an issue, she loved it! I had some problems with SJ that I had to overcome but none of it had to do with her.

She has always been calm and easy to handle on the ground, but she has a go button for sure even now it is still there! She has some personality quarks, like a total fear of plastic sounding anything, being a stall kicker if she can see horses next to her and she still hates clippers. But they have all been easy to deal with.

I wouldn't trade my little cow horse for anything
    ~"Three Phases, Two hearts, One Passion!"~
    Peppy's Sweet Thing & Sweet Dreamin'

My greatest horse ever was 15.2 with his shoes on, bought as a green 11-year old who'd been a surly school horse, and didn't even know how to jump! Long, long story but we trail-rode, led a drill team in parades, whipped-in sidesaddle and showed aside, did both competitive and French school dressage, and wound up Eventing all the way through Training Level until he was 21! Retired him from competing then and he lived on to 32, most of it still in light work.

He was Three Bars bred, had a difficult temperament but a heart of gold, and there was NOTHING he wouldn't do!

Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    This is one of the reasons I really hope this guy is nice. I just recently broke my back on a big Hanoverian and now I am just wanting to find a nice, safe horse that I can have fun with, even if he doesn't make it past training level.
    If you are looking for a QH for the quiet factor, I would probably not be looking at racing QHs when there are bazillions of QHs out there not doing racing. (and yeah yeah I know there are some dead quiet ex racers) If you search carefully you can probably find great deals on quality "pleasure" QHs that are too small (ie not 17 hands like they seem to want em) or solid paints that are otherwise nicely made horses.

I had a great 15.2 qh that was the sweetest, fun, and athletic horse. He was pleasure bred and I had my doubts at first, but god that horse was an xc machine. He topped out at novice and his dressage was never quite competive enough, but I learned a ton on him. Always game, always sound, and just a pleasure to work with.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Land of palms, rattlesnakes, sand and fields of beautiful Tbs

I love the QH and have evented 5 of them, one through prelim, two through Training (OT) and 2 at Novice. I have also competed numerous tbs, all OTTBs and several through prelim. I have to say that the OTQH and the prelim QH were the hottest two horses I have ever owned. The OTQH was 16.3 and a great jumper and good enough mover to move up to prelim but not rateable and the very thing that makes the QH a wonderful cowhorse was his greatest weakness. He was too quick and wouldn't listen.
    So my advice would be to see if you can take the horse on trial and put the him under pressure at a show, let him gallop and see if he gets that racing QH jump stride and see how you feel about that. It's not at all like the Tb gallop.
    I grew up with horses and used to breed QHs but I found that racing QH gallop to be unsuitable for eventing. That being said, some of my homebred QH that had not been exposed to racing were the quietest and best low level eventers ever, so just pay attention.
    Good luck.
    Piney Woods

Ooooold pictures of my friend's Appendix QH mare, Gracie:

http://www.pbase.com/wendysmoak/gracie

Not *quite* a QH, but another friend took her (solid) Paint up to Prelim:

http://www.pbase.com/wendysmoak/alex&page=all

-Wendy
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

We only went out at Intro this year but here is my QH!!! He is awesome and even his first year out as a 5yr old looks at nothing!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=2dbbc6f7ab