The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Awareness" Overload!

Anyone else out there about to lose their mind from Too Much Information? I soooooo did not want to know that Aspergillus fungus that's causing meningitis is all around us on farms . . .

So when the dogs & coyotes wake me up howling like the Wild Hunt at oh-dark-hundred, now I worry about, in no particular order:

What could be in the Hay? (Aspergillus, Botulism, EPM)

What could be in the Barn? (Aspergillus, Hanta, Black Plague)

What could be in the Bugs? (West Nile, EEE, Malaria coming soon)

What could be on the Ground? (Anything birds/varmints can carry)

What could be on the Horses? (Ticks--Lyme, Ehrlichia, Babesiosis; MRSA, Strep Zooie, Tetanus . . . )

What's in the Horses? (Strongyles, Tapes, etc.)

How about the Ground Water? (Golf course chemicals, PHF, fish pee)

Even the air? (Brake linings, ozone, CO2, CO3, 2nd-hand smoke, mercury)

What's in ME? (Endocrine disruptors, formaldehyde, flame retardants, Pthalates, free radicals, Jack Daniel's, red meat; read totally screwed)

And if THAT ain't enough to keep you wall-eyed and wide awake in the dark, it's Think Pink Month, Ladies!

Failing that, there's always the impending Fiscal Cliff.

Don't you long for the days when we didn't have to think about our DOOM all day and all night until it HAPPENED?

psst - we still don't HAVE to. I know, try telling that to our brains running full speed in the middle of the night, but maybe earplugs, or a glass of wine before bed, or no alcohol before bed, or keeping a fluffy novel by the bedside lamp, or , or or....

We can vaccinate against some things, handwash, keep our mouse poop quotient as low as possible, and such, but really, whether we do them or not, is worrying about doom going to do one whit to avert it? Sleep well!

I really don't think about it much. Most people who work around horses seem very healthy, like just by being exposed to all that cr*p (literally and figuratively) they build better immune systems. If aspergillus were highly communicable (it's not), we'd all be getting it, right? The problem with the current outbreak was that the contaminated steroids were being injected directly into, or near, peoples' SPINES. And in the case of eventer Darren Chiacchia, he also has HIV, and even if his viral load is near zero, his immune system's compromised. (It's not clear whether he got it from a steroid injection, or some other way.)

It's sort of like when I was bitten by one of my cats in May 2011 and ended up in the hospital on IV antibiotics for 3 1/2 days. That cat had licked me, we'd nuzzled, I'd cleaned his litterbox countless times, but it wasn't until his pointy little teeth acted as hypodermic needles for all the germs in his mouth that I became ill.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Once you put all those things out of your mind, consider this...
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I don't worry about any of it. What's the point?? I just read an article which says Amish kids are the healthiest kids on the planet. I grew up pretty healthy because I was out at the barn, dirty all the time. Wash my hands before eating?? In what? Horse tank water? Okie dokie.

Matter of fact, I just read where we NEED bacteria on our faces to keep wrinkles at bay and to keep skin healthy. All the cleansing stuff may be bad for skin. I don't use any cleanser except a washcloth and water and I have hardly a wrinkle anywhere.

Nah, I'm not worrying about any of it. The stress of worrying about it might lead to a heart attack or something. Life goes on.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

tell me about it... I just read the wiki entry on Chinese food safety issues (stemming from the dog treat recalls) and now I'm scared to eat... WTF China...soy sauce... seriously?

oh and Chemtrails.

and the Hanta virus.

totally hear ya SwampYankee.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Once you put all those things out of your mind, consider this...
    Oh, so THAT's why all those protesters on the I-91 overpasses were hoisting posters about "Fukushima in VT!" Kinda wondered about that . . .

What is even crazier are those who do not worry about any of it?! And the Amish the healthiest, another irrefutable "study" straight from the cultural reletavists, (who needs advanced sciences group). I think we better reve up our space program for a couple of reasons.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    What is even crazier are those who do not worry about any of it?! And the Amish the healthiest, another irrefutable "study" straight from the cultural reletavists, (who needs advanced sciences group). I think we better reve up our space program for a couple of reasons.
    Yeah, I think we better rev up our space program for a couple of reasons. Wow.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=healthy...=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

Once you click on the page, take your pick.

ETA: I looked at this also... http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0...519-2/fulltext I haven't any idea if this is a respected journal or not.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Oct. 11, 2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: .

Add toxoplasmosis to the "list" -- it makes rodents lose their fear of cats and affects human brains, too -
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1104102125.htm
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I do often wonder if the worrying / anxiety is an "age" thing. I feel like there was one level of worry anxiety during my 30's, and I feel like it is exponentially higher since I turned 40. My brain does not want to turn off for sleeping at night, and I have always had an amazing ability to sleep. Probably hormonal stuff, too, for me.

It is weird that the "50's" are romanticized when they lived thinking the Russians were going to nuke them at any moment.

Anyway, I am enjoying S. Stirling's "Island in the Sea of Time". Somebody recommended the author in a thread about the new tv show "Revolution"; and Nantucket is the primary setting for all the New England people.

It surely does seem like TEOTWAWKI is upon us -- thank you 24/7 news cycle, internet, & twitter!
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Idaziens - the Island in the Sea of Time series starts out all fascinating and cool and then gets really weird and pseudo-religiony in the later books. Still really really interesting though, as are several of his other books that involve the people sent back in time in the same "event" (can't remember what that trilogy is called).

And now I'm headed to bed to worry about all these things I didn't know I needed to worry about... Thanks guys.

You forgot to add that the world is coming to an end dec 12 2012...

Good god , pull yourselves together! Yes there are bugs everywhere. No, they most likely won't hurt you unless your immune system is compromised.(Or if they are injected into you CNS).

Sure , you could be unlucky enough to contact a disease. You could also be run over by a bus or go splat in a plane crash. Don't let it keep you up at night.

I'm sorry, but if the sounds of dogs and COYOTES howling and barking woke me up in the middle of the night, all of the things you listed would be the last things I'd worry about!!

I'd be wondering what the hell was out there that had got them so riled up!

Nope, can't say as I worry about any of that. Not to panic/stress point anyway. I vaccinate my animals, keep the bug & disease breeding substances under control (standing water, weeds, fecal matter) and I wash my hands.

I'm 50, in good health, and I have a roof over my head, food on the table, extra cash in the bank, and no one is shooting at me. I have NOTHING to complain of.

Well here is a thought. Our bodies are amazing miracles, given that we are still breathing and alive despite all that stuff. And when I think about all the valves that work, the muscles that pump, the electrical and chemical interactions on and off, checks and balances it's amazing.
    I think ZuZu has or at least works hard at being always optimistic

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    ...It is weird that the "50's" are romanticized when they lived thinking the Russians were going to nuke them at any moment...
    You mean like this?

Many of us who went through the Cold War also remember the blackouts and wailing of sirens as Nazi U-boats cruised our coastal waters looking for -- and finding -- ships to sink.

We took precautions, learned Civil Defense, and faced reality. In other words, we put on our big-girl panties and dealt with it. We had good times back then.

Who remembers CONELRAD and those little triangle-within-the-circle icons on the dial of AM radios?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I've gotten to the part where I've stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb that could be the end of the world. LOL

I'm currently absolutely obsessed with one horse's arthritis, which is leading me to obsess about all happenings at my barn, because OMG WHAT ELSE AM I MISSING?

Remember back when we were 7 or 8, and the worst fate to befall us was to have to ride that ugly pony who wouldn't trot without being a jerk in our up-down lessons? That was nice. I could handle that again.