The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hounds

I grew up on a farm and we had hounds (coon hounds, red tick and blue tick). I love the temperment and personality, but now I live in town.
    What do I need to do to keep a hound happy in town?

Walkies! Plenty of walks, or if you go running, then running. Hounds like to move and follow their noses of course, so the more exercise the better. Being pack animals they also make great couch potatoes and love just to hang around and be with you, often with body contact. Of course all dogs are pack animals, but hounds more so, since they were specifically bred to get along well in groups.

Sometimes when I go to work I scatter kibbles all around just before I head out the door. Makes for a fun treasure hunt while I'm gone. I'm sure the treasure hunt is very short, but nevertheless, gives whoever is loose in the house a chance to use that sniffer.

What Anne FS said, and perhaps adopting a homeless older hound with less energy to expend.
    Older dogs always seem to be the last to get adopted, this would be great opportunity to give one a loving home. It could be heartbreaking though because you wouldn't have your new friend as quite as long as adopting a young one, but the dog will be greatful and will make just as good of a companion. It would be the best of both worlds for you and the dog.

You can get the XL size and all you need to keep those ones happy is a couch:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...13930643_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...38924317_n.jpg
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    You can get the XL size and all you need to keep those ones happy is a couch:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...13930643_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...38924317_n.jpg
    They are loffly!

Methinks you needs a bigger couch ! Cool dogs -

Quote Originally Posted by Nlevie View Post
    Methinks you needs a bigger couch ! Cool dogs -
    Haha...we had to buy another one because they kicked us off of ours.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

That is the expression I remember. Life is good, comfy couch, meals on time.
    But I'm not willing to supply the decaying groundhog snacks.

I agree with everyone else that keeping a hound happy in "town" really won't be a big deal.

While our Walker Coonhound LOVES going out for walks, she's 95% couch (or bed) potato - especially as she's moved into senior-citizen territory. And we adopted her as a young adult skeletal stray who obviously had never even been inside a house before. Took her a little time, but she's definitely the most lovable & well-behaved house dog you'd ever want to meet.

...easy...get a Greyhound. There are lots of ex-racing greyhounds needing homes, they love couches, they are quiet, sweet and lovable, they have needle-noses that like to surf the counters.....bit of a run every day and they are happy.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have a hound and just love him. He is one of the sweetest dogs I have had.. He is actually pretty low energy and loves to spend his days on the couch covered in blankets. I do have a few acres so he does have room to chase things but usually after 20 minutes of roaming he is done for the day. Not all neighbors are fond of his baying and that may be an issue if you have close neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    Not all neighbors are fond of his baying and that may be an issue if you have close neighbors.
    But they (the dog) can get over that - especially if there's little to bay at or about. Our coonhound only barks/bays at dinnertime (& shuts up as soon as it's served) or when the UPS/FedEx/Mailperson shows up. And shuts up when they leave. That's it. And frankly, the other non-hound dogs do the same, so it's not even a hound thing, it's just a dog thing - lol!

My (confused) coonhound will yowl/screach (think nails on a chalk board) if a squirrel has been in that tree. if it is real live squirrel, my coonhound has a pretty howl. She will not alert to UPS/Fedex but will get in their vehicle if she can or get into anyone's vehicle-happy to go anywhere.

My bassett, is very good about alerting me to traffic on the driveway--wanted or unwanted.

I will keep them both because they are both entertaining!

A rescue friend picked up a really adorable beagle this week. No barking, very sweet. So far she hasn't been able to locate the owner. I think he's in Ohio...I'm trying to figure out which Lisa picked him up. He'll be available for private adoption (not through the collie rescue) once she's sure no owner is going to come forward.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant