The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So, I thought someone was messing with my horses...a funny coming up!!

Out where I live, messing with someone's place or livestock is a big no-no, I mean could put your life in danger if you're really that dumb.

So, I couldn't figger out why my halters have been moved and draped over the fence several times, effectively grounding it out. Samster and Leo have been calm but calm is their middle name anyway. It wouldn't take much more than a carrot to sway them to someone else, the finks.

Today, heard a LOUD noise coming from the barn, rushed out and found Sammy banging on the water tank, it was 1/4th empty and he wanted it filled!! Okay, so hubby puts the hose in the tank. I was watching and Sammy walked over to where I have the halters hanging, OUTside the hot wire, gingerly reaches over, without touching the wire (???) and mouths them till they drape over the fence and grounds it out. Then he's a happy boy, yessirree!!

On a side note, I have started Sammy under saddle, very slowly, because I'm not as brave as I ustabe. Sammy is under-whelmed to put it mildly. He may be broke for all I know in the first place!! But, yea, win for me!!
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Very cute!! Whoever said horses were dumb!!

QUOTE=goneriding24;6601334]Out where I live, messing with someone's
    place or livestock is a big no-no, I mean could put your life in danger if you're really that dumb.

So, I couldn't figger out why my halters have been moved and draped over the fence several times, effectively grounding it out. Samster and Leo have been calm but calm is their middle name anyway. It wouldn't take much more than a carrot to sway them to someone else, the finks.

Today, heard a LOUD noise coming from the barn, rushed out and found Sammy banging on the water tank, it was 1/4th empty and he wanted it filled!! Okay, so hubby puts the hose in the tank. I was watching and Sammy walked over to where I have the halters hanging, OUTside the hot wire, gingerly reaches over, without touching the wire (???) and mouths them till they drape over the fence and grounds it out. Then he's a happy boy, yessirree!!

On a side note, I have started Sammy under saddle, very slowly, because I'm not as brave as I ustabe. Sammy is under-whelmed to put it mildly. He may be broke for all I know in the first place!! But, yea, win for me!! [/QUOTE]

He's a smarty! Next year he'll be able to do your taxes!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Good that you were there when Smart Sammy pulled his trick.

I had a smart-@$$ horse that had obviously watched me hook up the electric fence and unhook it. I came out several mornings in a row to find the electric fence unhooked and lying on the ground. Fortunately it's not the primary fencing as I have post and rail but I had the electric inside the sacrifice paddocks and, in this case, at a gate. I couldn't imagine that after the first time I found it that I could have screwed up hooking it a 2nd time. Well the next evening as I'm closing the gate and hooking up the fence, I turn around to do something and I heard something a bit off. I turn around and here is my QH gelding, Chocolate, with the handle in his mouth and he's carefully lifing it off the screw eye and slowly backing up and then dropping it. At last I figured out what the problem was and proceeded to tie the handle to the screweye and post so he couldn't do it again. Mind you I should have suspected Chocolate in the first place as he was quite the Houdini as well as some of his other 'tricks'.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    He's a smarty! Next year he'll be able to do your taxes!

I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Good that you were there when Smart Sammy pulled his trick.

I had a smart-@$$ horse that had obviously watched me hook up the electric fence and unhook it. I came out several mornings in a row to find the electric fence unhooked and lying on the ground. Fortunately it's not the primary fencing as I have post and rail but I had the electric inside the sacrifice paddocks and, in this case, at a gate. I couldn't imagine that after the first time I found it that I could have screwed up hooking it a 2nd time. Well the next evening as I'm closing the gate and hooking up the fence, I turn around to do something and I heard something a bit off. I turn around and here is my QH gelding, Chocolate, with the handle in his mouth and he's carefully lifing it off the screw eye and slowly backing up and then dropping it. At last I figured out what the problem was and proceeded to tie the handle to the screweye and post so he couldn't do it again. Mind you I should have suspected Chocolate in the first place as he was quite the Houdini as well as some of his other 'tricks'.
    Yanno, your story made me think of another Samster story. On one long side of hotwire fence, we have a 'gate' in it. I watched Sammy one day, gingerly mouth and then use his teeth on the handle to try to unhook it. Too bad, so sad, it was too tight for him to get it undone. He never got shocked (!!) plus I was a little concerned the young man (all 1200 lbs of him now!!) would figure out how to escape then try to tackle my flowers...as Leo did last Spring. Wiped all my tulips out, every last one of them...
    Last edited by goneriding24; Oct. 10, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

gr24, don'tcha just love them for all the stuff they come up with and all the things they do.

I wrote a 5 page eulogy to Chocolate after I euthanized him and 'planted' him in the back pasture. Much as I loved the little devil, I really did hope that he didn't 'grow'!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!